1982 Jeep Scrambler (former ad)

I bought this Scrambler in 1999 as a stock vehicle. I've put nearly 20 years into upgrading and enjoying this CJ-8 and have taken it on most of the trails in the Moab area.
Chevy 350 with .020 over rebuilt in 2001. Quadra-jet carb, dual exhaust, 700R4 auto with NP 208 transfer case.
Lokar floor mount shifter, roll in herculiner inside tub, exterior paint is rattle can grade.
Full roll cage from .120 DOM with 3 point seatbelts front and rear. Rocker panel sliders.
Front axle is a Dana 44 wagoneer (1978) with 4.56:1 gears and ARB air locker.
Rear axle is a 1980 Wagoneer AMC 20 (much stouter that the CJ version) with 4.56:1 gears and ARB air locker
Springover lift, 35" Goodyear MTR tires
Xenon extended TJ flares
Tiger top full soft top.
Borgeson u-joint steering shaft
Fiberglass hood. CB radio. swing away tire carrier,
Poly fuel tank, new battery
Rear traction bar
I have several parts that will go with the vehicle including a factory wagoneer sway bar, gray soft half doors, black hard half doors.

IMG_1400.JPGIMG_1403.JPGIMG_1409.JPGIMG_1412.JPGIMG_1422.JPGIMG_1425.JPGIMG_1426.JPGIMG_1442.JPG

DAA

I should have looked for this ad earlier...I bought it. It has changed a bit in the past year, but the next phase includes a new, modern drivetrain and new frame/suspension. It will be built for overlanding-like duties. My TJ on 40s is the hard core rig!

Got any recent pics? Always loved CJ8s.

- DAA

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Got any recent pics? Always loved CJ8s.

- DAA

I need to get some. I drive it almost daily. The first 9 months I had the scrambler had a lot of work. I completely re-did the brakes, including the lines, master, booster and proportioning valve. The transfer case rebuilt and several failed welds had to be repaired across the suspension, chassis and miscellaneous parts. I got the gas tank sealed, gauge working, heater improved as well. Recently I finished fixing (or replacing) all of the cooling system.

I am not 100% decided on the powertrain. I'd love the R2.8 Cummins, but the cost is considerably higher than an LS-swap. I'm also still deciding on some suspension decisions. I love the uniqueness of the CJ-8.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Love to see other scramblers!

The scrambler has off dimensions, especially the very noticeable overhang in the rear. With a stock wheelbase of 103 inches, I plan to stretch it a bit to improve the departure angle, but still be able to use a TJ or YJ has tank or a custom unit of a similar style. One goal is to improve range. Right now the tank holds just 15 gallons and with the current mpg in the single digits, I need to refill more than I want.

rholbrook

Love to see other scramblers!

The scrambler has off dimensions, especially the very noticeable overhang in the rear. With a stock wheelbase of 103 inches, I plan to stretch it a bit to improve the departure angle, but still be able to use a TJ or YJ has tank or a custom unit of a similar style. One goal is to improve range. Right now the tank holds just 15 gallons and with the current mpg in the single digits, I need to refill more than I want.
Let me know when you will be in Kaysville and I will hook you up to see one.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Since the Rubicon trip is cancelled for now, I can work on some details for this old CJ.

Fuel injection is complete. Used a Holley sniper kit without the distributor. While tuning, found the HEI distributor is worn out and only giving 24 degrees advance all in. Will be looking to add a Holley distributor and ignition box soon. I am using a surge tank to provide the necessary fuel pressure - you can see it in the pictures, front drivers side, under the hood. The mechanical pump on the engine acts as a lift pump and fills the surge tank. The surge tank has an immersed electric pump with 1.6L of capacity. It provides fuel pressure in off camber and out-of-sorts positions. I also didn't need to buy a new fuel tank.

When I dropped the fuel tank to add the fuel return, I also built a complete skid for it - 3/16" steel. The NP208 hangs low (down the road when I change the drivetrain, it will use an Atlas), so when I built the engine and trans skid, I had to build in a ramp to help slide it over rocks.

Rear bumper came off my TJ. Will be adding some lower rear fender rock rails soon that tie into the bumper.

Had to rebuild a good part of the steering. New CJ box and a custom flat pitman arm (undrilled from Parts Mike) to get the proper throw to match the wagoneer axle. The previous arm was a 1.5 inch drop and was way too close to the tierod to allow uptravel on the drivers side.

Waiting for a new front driveshaft from Tom Woods (they were out of the CV that I needed). Should be done next week.

Next up will be a little more skid protection underneath for the transfer case, the rear fender rock rails and a way to haul some extra fuel (stock 15 gallon tank doesn't last long with the 350).20210821_120314.jpg20210821_120536.jpg20210821_120330.jpg

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
The engine is running very well with the Holley sniper continuing to learn. The handheld monitor shows that it is still making adjustments. Each time I drive it, the tune gets a little better. It surprised me yesterday when I got on it and the jeep caught a little rubber leaving a stop sign. Its definitely has a little more oomp-ah. I don't think gas mileage has really improved, but then again I'm not really driving it easy all the time