For Sale 1985 4Runner project - Sold

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Asking Price
$2000
Condition
Used
I've been putting this off, but changing situation and changing priorities mean it's time to move on. This project is assembled but unfinished and you will need to put some work in to have a running/driving truck.

WHAT IT IS:
1985 4Runner, 250k-ish miles (as if that's relevant...)

WHAT IT HAD:
22RE, W56, Factory solid axle

WHAT IT'S GOT NOW:
3RZ from a '95 Taco with unknown mileage, but I went through the top and bottom before I installed it - the bearings checked out, it's got fresh valve shims where they were out of spec, new plugs, plug seats, wires, distributor, etc.
Chilkat exhaust crossover
The same W56 five speed
4.7 transfer case
open 8" 5.29 front diff
lunchbox 8" 5.29 rear diff
Trailgear high steer with FROR frame brace
OME/Dakar light duty springs and shocks, extended shackles, it's about three inches of lift.
'86 (IFS width) rear axle with hub adapters in front to match
V6 calipers, Landcruiser rotors
high output 220 amp alternator (22RE pattern w/swapped pulley)
IPF H4 headlight conversion
Trailgear winch mount front, one-off tube bumper rear
Optima red top that may or may not be good at this point
Worn 35 inch rollers

WHAT COMES WITH IT (not installed):
5.29 elocker with two elocker housings - one is from a '96 and set up for leaf springs, one is set up for coil and link but doesn't fit a 3rd gen 4Runner so I dunno? I have three or four shafts complete with drums to go with.
FROR twinstick
Stock 3RZ alternator
Dual diaphragm brake booster
Couple cleanish fenders and doors, some clean interior trim I've been saving, a 4Runner bed full of random small parts

WHAT NEEDS DONE:
The big thing is the conversion wiring for the 3RZ. I bought a custom conversion harness from a fellow in Oregon but I couldn't ever make it work and I don't know if the harness is bad or something else is buggy.
The engine harness needs modified for the 22RE alternator, or the 3RZ alternator put back on, whichever.
Exhaust finished - it's mocked in, but needs finalized.
Brake master and booster reinstalled

There's a lot of other little stuff I was putting off until I got it running, but that's what it needs to run and drive. It does have the typical fender/quarterpanel rust and rocker panel dings, but the frame is solid. It was a great truck while I ran it and a lot of fun, and it'll be even better with the parts I was hoarding for it. $2000 for the whole schmear - I'm pretty sure I can part it out for well more than that, so that's as low as I'm willing to go at this point.

Edit - Truck is sold.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
The interior is partially apart and it's under a pile of snow right now anyway, but here's a couple pics of the Grey Bastard in it's glory days to inspire you.

IMAG0945_zpsaa7e1d51.jpg~original

IMAG1044_zps7c136acc.jpg~original

1378518_10201015485284998_323620238_n.jpg

20131029_085743_zps350bbf20.jpg~original

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Dang, can't believe you're selling it. Killer price for what it is, too. Best of luck Kevin, hopefully this is a good thing for you.

I hope so too! I'm already second guessing the decision.

I would love this for my old lady to drive but i just have too many damn projects. Where is Stinkwater?

Magna. West West Valley.

Really wish I was in a position to buy this.

I would love to sell this back to you.