1986 4runner SAS, built, street legal

pELYgroso

'Merica
Sooo, I'm looking to possibly go another route w/ a rig so I'm putting my ol' faithful up for sale. If it doesn't sell, I won't be too hurt, as it's been an awesome rig. i bought it stock a few years ago w/ 195k on the clock and did most of the mods myself. (with a lot of help from many of you RME'ers!) I'm no pro-fabber (that's why I don't work on our customer's rigs much) but the rig is solid and extremely capable, as well as pretty dang comfortable for what it is.

The good:

22re runs great! 18-21-ish mpg's around town and freeway -just under 200k miles
auto tranny shifts great!

front axle out of an '85
-5.29 R&P
-27 spl birfields
-welded diff
-trussed
-gusseted
-diff armor
-has mount for hydro assist ram
-v6 calipers w/ vented rotors, SS brake lines
-six states 12" slip high angle DL, balanced and tight!

Later model (wider) rear axle:
-5.29 R&P
-Detroit locker
-extended brake lines
-beefy drive line (six states)

Suspension:
-u-bolt flips
-63" chevies rear
-rear streched 5" back
-toy rears up front
-front axle is 4" forward from stock
-bilsteins up front mounted to TG shock hoops, Les schwab specials in back mounted to TG shock hoop at / \ angle
-flexes really well, but still very predictable.

body/armor:
-stout front tube bumper
-tube sliders
-low profile rear bumper w/ integrated receiver hitch
(with this bumper and the rear axle back 5", the departure angle is great)
-rear fenders cut out to accomodate the rear stretch
-front fenders needed NO trimming

other:
-interior is gray and very clean!
-flat pitman arm
-hysteer
-steering box tapped for hydro assist
-35X12.50's on stock wheels -these wheels keep the width at a legal limit w/ out adding ugly flares
-spare tire carrier mounts into receiver w/ 35" spare on it
-Awesome CB
-PIAA 5" off-road lights
-K&N style filter (not K&N)

the bad:
-steering box leaks -needs seal saver
-the rear fender wells where I cut out for the stretch needs to be finished.
-rear driveline just started to vibrate. probably needs to be re balanced. I replaced the u joints fairly recently.
-the rear springs are a little too soft. when I have the runner fully loaded it sags a bit and sways a bit once you reach 55 - 60 mph. unloaded it's fine but I'd add a couple springs to the chevy pack. I might do this before i sell it.
-rear bumper is stout and works fine as-is but could use some finishing touches to look really clean
-has some minor body damage, mostly at the rear corners where I didn't have protection for awhile. The rest of the rig is relatively clean.
-pulls to the left. needs an alignment kinda

"extras"
-4.3 TBI w/ a 4L60 tranny (needs case)
-hydro assist ram and hoses ready to bolt-on
-TG weld-on LED blinker kit (the stock turn signals are currently zip-tied onto the front bumper)
-extra doors for half-doors

The main reason that I am selling is because I want something with more horsepower to possibly pull a small trailer around. I've been planning on swapping in the 4.3 that I have but I just found a rig that I am interested in and would need to sell this before I buy it. If the other one sells I'll likely pull my runner off the market.

This rig has never left me stranded, and it is very capable! With the 5.29's and auto tranny I've RARELY needed lower gearing. I've wheeled with plenty of RME'ers that will vouch for it! you could drive it away, straight to the trail right now and wheel it. It's pretty much ready to go, but the few things it needs should be done before too long. If it doesn't sell by the 6th I'm taking it to Moab for a week, and the only thing I'll do before then is add a couple leafs to the rear packs and top off the steering fluid.

asking $3,700 for the whole shebang, extras and all. if you don't need the extra motor, etc and want to pay less, let me know. I'm open to offers. I don't need to sell this but I want to. if you offer me $1,500.00 I'll LOL.

Thanks!

Tyler
801-niner21-niner84niner
call or text

Attachments

• IMG_1051 small.jpg
    IMG_1051 small.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 39
  • runner 1.jpg
    runner 1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
I'm gonna go look at something tonight....I'll keep ya posted! It was definitely sad to see her drive away! I hope I don't regret it. It was kind of an impulse decision and I didn't think it would sell nearly that fast. Went to a guy in Rexburg, not off RME.