1990 Tracker

Since my oldest kid started driving, I’ve wanted to find a second vehicle to take on jeep trips to give us more room, and have him drive. We had a RZR for a couple years, but didn't quite fit with what we do, so I got rid of it, and my father in law ended up giving us this 1990 Geo Tracker. I think it only has about 30K on the rebuilt motor. This will never be my primary “jeep”, but does have a rear seat so it has 4 seat belts. I also have a 22’ trailer, and can’t fit anything longer (along with my jeep) – so we are sticking with this for the foreseeable future.

I started out with a spool in the rear, a 4:1 Transfer case reduction, new clutch, and a Low Range 3 1/2" lift and 31" tires. We used it on a few trips, but I wanted to lock the front end, and fit 33's. I already had a few extra sets of Rubicon Express CJ 4" spring packs around, and I also had access to a front D44 housing/shafts, and complete rear D44 with a Detroit. So I decided to go spring under/shackle forward and be similar to my CJ's suspension. Stock rear axle is 58” wide – CJ width/bolt pattern.

For the front, I had to extend the frame forward about 6", add a cross member, and inboard the springs on the rear of the front springs. I bought Rocky Road Rear Shackle Hangers, for the front and rear, then Ruffstuff weld on spring hangers for the other ends. When I first tacked the spring hangers on, it was a little tall, so I found some FJ 3” wide springs on KSL for cheap, narrowed them to fit (using 4 ½” cut off wheels), and swapped a couple leafs in each pack to a lower ride height. I also have pretty short shackles on it now to keep it low. I lengthened the wheel base as much as I could – right now its sits at 90”. Rear axle is still stock (5:13) with the spool. Front axle has an Eaton E locker with alloy shafts. I am running 1 ½” spacers on the rear (tires were rubbing on the tub), and I think 1 ¼ on the front. It feels pretty stable, and the suspension is softer than it was stock.

For Steering, I bought a Y steering set up from Ruff stuff, but ended up welding the drag link into the top of the tie rod. I also cut my pitman arm, and modified it to drop about 3” and lengthened it just over 1” to get my full steering radius. Once I got it mocked up, I realized I dropped the pitman arm too far, so I just reamed the hole from the top, and it clears fine. I also got a ported steering box from Low Range, and got the hydro assist connected.

I upgraded the alternator to a 130 amp, and got a TC Style Power steering pump. I have an auto in my jeep and love it – but am sticking with the manual in this – it seems to be geared pretty low, and the fuel injection 4 cyl lugs pretty low without stalling.

I have the cage about half done – I need to add a bar above the dash, and add family style section to the rear. I’m using 1½ .120 tubing.
I just built my rocker sliders last week – 1 ½” x 3” tubing – I think its 3/16” thick – SSS has it surplus, so it was cheap. I plan on connecting the rocker guard frame brackets to the cage floor plates soon.
I’ve had a hard time getting my hitch weight right on the trailer so doesn’t whip – I have had to move the tracker forward 2-3 times to get more tongue weight. Right now with both vehicles on the trailer, total trailer weight is about 10,500, with about 1,180 lbs tongue weight. I think the problem is having the rear axle of the jeep so far back on the trailer. I still try to put extra stuff in the tracker, and empty out the jeep when towing.

I still need to figure out bumpers, winch, and I need to get the knuckles rotated on the front axle – pinion angle is bad, but I can’t rotate it up any more than I have due to caster angle I’ve been told. I will probably swap in the rear D44 someday too – all I need is 5:13 gears.

Anyway – I’m into it more than I wanted, but I am pretty happy with how it handles off road.

First big trip was last week – we did HITR and did The Pickle north of Moab, on the way home – my kid drove it the whole weekend, with no straps, and through all 3-4 obstacles on the pickle with no help – I thought that was pretty cool….

Attachments

• 1-IMG_0453.JPG
    1-IMG_0453.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 1-IMG_0431.JPG
    1-IMG_0431.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 1-IMG_0417.JPG
    1-IMG_0417.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 1-IMG_0330.JPG
    1-IMG_0330.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 1-IMG_0264.JPG
    1-IMG_0264.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 1-IMG_0262.JPG
    1-IMG_0262.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 1-IMG_0234.JPG
    1-IMG_0234.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1-IMG_0459.JPG
    1-IMG_0459.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 1-IMG_0461.JPG
    1-IMG_0461.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 1-IMG_0462.JPG
    1-IMG_0462.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 24

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I love this thing, side by sides are so spendy. I really love the idea of a tracker, samurai etc for so much cheaper and better