Toyota 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ70?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
What can you guys tell me about these things. I found one with 227K miles, right hand drive, chassis is pretty clean, no major rust. It says it has a 6 cylinder diesel.

Its the long wheel-base 4 door. Looks like the one pictured below.

Reliable?
Parts hard to get?
Does it have a turbo?

LC77fromBrazil.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That isn't a BJ70, more likely a LJ78 with the light duty chassis (think 1991 4Runner vs 1991 FJ80) and the 2LT which doesn't have the best track record but does have happy users out there. Get a frame # or VIN so you can tell exactly what it has and is but it looks to be a LJ78 to me.

Parts are easy, we stock everything from Tie Rod end kits to door weather-stripping.

I'd heavy look at a unit from Land Cruisers Direct so you get a properly vetted truck , there is so much junk and unscrupulous stuff making it to the US and the Japan auctions are brilliant on how to maximize their auction values with repaints and rollbacks. I hear a sob story each week from a new owner that bought a lemon.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
???? Those are two totally different tricks and chassis's. The PZJ is a 5 cylinder so I still wouldn't trust anyone selling a 6 cylinder :D

But, I'd take a PZJ77 in a heartbeat before a LJ78 even with higher miles like that.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Is the engine a VM diesel? My brother was saying it's a 5 cylinder gas motor.

No... are you trying to give me a seizure :D

Who's your brother? The VM was a domestically installed engine for Europe market 7x's, it's a pile with very little parts support as it's not a Toyota engine, it's a VM. The Toyota 1PZ (which that rig 100% has) is a 5 cylinder diesel. Toyota has never put a 5 cylinder gas motor in any Land Cruiser. The 1PZ is well known, basically a 1HZ minus a cylinder. It's a normally aspirated diesel... it likely won't last too long if you fill it with gas.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
My brother thinks he knows it all because he has imported 2 cruisers from Japan. One was nice. The other had lots of issues. I don't think he has sold the second one yet.

Is that one worth owning?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yeah, PZJ's are a good motor, and the 77 chassis rocks. That one is a 11/90 which is a good vintage :D

Check all the usual bondo spots, wreck repair, repair spots, etc.

centex

I'm also trying to figure out exactly which engine it has in it. The VIN provided is what the seller stated to me PZJ770001509. Where can I research this chassis / powertrain more? TIA!

centex

Nice! I like Land Rovers but the suspension scares me a bit on them. Did you put your hands on this one I bought? I saw the listing you posted in Feb from OVE - I'm also a dealer and that's how I purchased it. Do you remember what he had it listed for back then?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I think he had it on there for around $10K. I never had a chance to look at it in person.

Delete the air suspension on the old Range Rovers and replace the air bags with coil springs from a Defender. Easy as pie. Takes about an hour per axle. Then you'll never worry about it again. The more modern LR3's and 4's as well as Range Rovers with EAS are very reliable.

centex

I think he had it on there for around $10K. I never had a chance to look at it in person.

Delete the air suspension on the old Range Rovers and replace the air bags with coil springs from a Defender. Easy as pie. Takes about an hour per axle. Then you'll never worry about it again. The more modern LR3's and 4's as well as Range Rovers with EAS are very reliable.

That's good to know about the Rovers. I would also worry about the BMW 8 cylinders leaking oil, but I'm assuming the newer ones have gotten away from the BMW powertrain, right? Never buy a BMW 8 cylinder to keep is a lesson I've learned.

Glad I found this thread. Helps me get to know a bit more about my purchase. Thanks for the info!