1992 Land Rover Defender 110

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Interesting. What's the real world result with those headlights? I have two trucks that run round sealed beams, I was going to upgrade my F250 to removable bulb style ones, but the total cost would only be about $20 less than those LEDs.
I've had this style for about 18 months now and I absolutely love them. Far better than my stock JK Jeep lights.

LX-LIGHT 7'' Round Black Cree LED Headlight High Low Beam for Jeep Wrangler JK TJ LJ CJ Hummber H1 H2 (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B376YOE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_gC8lCbZVDWY4D

Homefryy

Interesting. What's the real world result with those headlights? I have two trucks that run round sealed beams, I was going to upgrade my F250 to removable bulb style ones, but the total cost would only be about $20 less than those LEDs.

I'm not an expert but from what I have researched the downsides to LED headlights are:
They don't get hot so if you are driving in the snow they can ice over and get snow built up on them. More expensive LED headlights have built in heaters to avoid this.
The light from LEDs is more blue than what you get from a halogen and the blue light is more easily scattered so while LEDs do a good job at producing bright light up close they do not have as good of distance.

I upgraded the sealed beams on my XJ to Hella E-Codes that take an H4 bulb and have been super happy with them. The XJ has square headlights but I believe they also make a round version.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I’ve had LED headlights for a number of years. If you buy more expensive ones. You get better quality of light. I buy 5600k lights usually. That’s a true white. I don’t like the blue tinted LEDs.

The LED off-road lights and headlights seem to make plenty of heat to keep ice off them.

Like anything you get what you pay for. The ones I’m running on the defender seem to work very well and have a nice cut off.

The ones on my Range Rover are the same even if they are a different style.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
So did a bunch today. Mostly worked on door seals, vent seals, carpet install and I took the winch off my Range Rover and put it on this Defender. And probably a bunch of other things I’ve forgotten I did already.

We will start with carpet. Hopefully this will cut down on the tin box feeling.

B8433B56-91B5-474A-9688-777CDEE53AE9.jpeg71A1B656-867C-4C91-A193-D629086C5223.jpegA93452B6-0424-4BB4-A122-CF9063F57F69.jpeg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Next up the winch. The battery is inside the truck in the center console. But that’s a lot better then where they usually are under the seat. I may be adding one under the hood so it’s easy to hook the winch to it.

9F3A7E37-CAF7-4B6A-964D-13BD151BDB26.jpegA9C831CE-5F8C-45C2-828E-F1FF0F1E26E5.jpeg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I’m pretty much out of parts already. Except for the other door cards. But I forgot to order the plastic door card retainers. So I ordered those.

I also ordered some door lock parts and door handle parts.

And then some fender chewier plate.

And to finish everything off. A silicone intercooler hose kit and radiator hose kit.

Should all be here by Tuesday.

And then all I have left to do is install the rear seats.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Hoping to have it all mostly ready to go next weekend.

The rest will just be details:

Stereo system, CB Radio, Lights, maybe a Ham Radio, Rear storage drawer, a subwoofer, larger alternator, etc, and a third row seat for the little ones, and a roll cage, (External of course)

4x4_Welder

I have found that alternatives to Dyna mat really help with the tin can sound/feel. I lined the firewall and floor of my 69 F250 diesel conversion with the foil backed roof seal tape, but the biggest single change was a 6" square of the stuff on the underside of the roof. A similar piece inside the doors made them thud instead of clank.
Downside is that stuff gives a bit of an asphalt smell when hot, real Dyna mat does not.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Spent last night fixing the door windows and putting in all the window channels properly.

Nothing really exciting to show in those pictures.

I welded on some new tabs to mount my 9” led lights. The original mounts on the bumper were only spread far enough apart to mount 5” lights. And we all know bigger is brighter. Like a collapsed sun.

AC68F646-66EE-4F90-873F-763AB6F529C6.jpeg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Ok. Rear glass install. A bit stressful but it went well.

Removed the van sides.

8D4CD894-25F6-4352-8E2C-1952D6E6AEDB.jpeg

Rear glass installed.

70116D83-8B59-4DB2-881C-00856EDF9DDE.jpeg2EBAC858-45C7-4A19-A68A-FD36BEE69500.jpeg

Unfortunately we thought this was a complete kit. But the damn Brit’s got us again. Had to order the rear quarter glass. It’ll be here probably next week. It should be much easier to install though.