Toyota 1995 Tacoma Build

OrangeSkidPlate

Well not a lot has happened, I started a new job for the summer and have been to busy to take the Taco out out work on it. But I was able to go out with my buddy last weekend up mineral basin. There was a big group with us and my buddy got stuck on an obstacle so as rolled up behind him, I went to slow down and I felt a pop in the brake pedal and it went all the way to the floor. I guess the brake line had been rubbing on the tire and finally broke. So I pinched the line with some vise grips and rolled down in low using the gears to slow me down. Made it down to the parking lot at Tibble Fork and my buddy goes why do you have so much lift in the back end of your truck. Turns out i had bent both main leafs on the rear from which I can only assume was the worst case of axle wrap I have ever heard of or seen. So I threw a come-along around the axle and the frame and pulled it down. We ran into town to find the right parts, got the wrong part the first time, ended up just using a stock Tacoma line. Then ended up driving it home. So I might find some sort of traction bar for the rear or I was thinking about redoing the suspension as a whole.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Get a brake line from a 85 Toyota truck, it's about 4-5" longer than stock (19" I think), unless you're quite a bit higher then a brake line from the front of a Nissan 300zx is about 23" long.

OrangeSkidPlate

Well, bought a set of tons out of a 02 super duty. Going to wait and build them in the spring.

Tried to replace the ball joints on the waggy and they are welded to the knuckle so can't replace those. Kind of just waiting to get time to replace those and the tranny. Have the tranny though. That's about all.

OrangeSkidPlate

Alright, its been awhile since I posted something up, So here are some updates.

Went up Norway Flats in the Uintas with some buddies, some one told me the road was super intense so I was really excited but it ended up being pretty mild, in my opinion at least. It was nice to get out of the city and heat for a bit.

Since I never posted up a picture of my switch panel for the ARBs. The panel is a Daystar A pillar panel for a KJ or something like that, anyways, hacked out part of the shifter bezel thing and mounted it in there. There aren't a ton of options for switch placement on the Tacoma. I think it turned out well enough.

Also picked up a CB radio from a pawn shop, didn't need anything this fancy but it was brand new for 75 bucks, just couldn't pass it up. My buddy had a homebrew mount that bolts under the mirror. I was able to run the power under the headliner and through the dash. The antenna wire is just kind of thrown in there for now. I am hoping to get a longer cable and mount the antenna right above the taillight. Works for now.

The radio sits high enough above the mirror so I can still see, kind of pain to mess with the dials since its so high up there but I figure once I get the thing on and on the right channel, I don't have to look up at it.

Shot of both the panel and the radio.

As I mentioned in my last post, I bought tons. Wasn't really thinking that far ahead when I picked the truck up but it seemed like a good deal for a full set so I pulled the trigger.

When I went to pick them up i opted to throw them in the taco instead of on a trailer. Probably not the best idea. I got one axle at a time, the rear wasn't too bad but the front squated the truck just as much as my sled did. Not the greatest picture of it.

I will probably have to wait to build the axles, I think they are a lot wider than i thought they were. I don't know if this is correct or not but the Waggy is 61" and the 60 is 68" or something like that. I just don't think there is any way that I can keep it narrow enough to pass inspection. I was thinking I'd have to run stock Ford wheels or the highest backspacing I could find. Also I don't think there is any easy way to keep the leaf springs so I'll have to link it, which I wanted to do anyways.

On a side note, selling my sled. 2007 Ski-doo Summit 800 144" has 3500 miles, runs like its brand new.

thenag

In my Bronco I had a hand throttle, just a bicycle brake lever/cable routed to pull on the gas pedal. It helped a ton for wheeling, especially when you don't have a ridiculous crawl ratio.

I haven't put one in the xj for 2 reasons, no friggen space, and I don't feel I need it, I don't drive as hard as I did in the Bronco and I have really low gears.

It is quite awesome to be able to be feathering the brake the clutch and hammering the throttle all at once. (now that I think about it I miss that feeling... maybe as we get into fall I will think about one for the xj...)

Here is a bad pic, you wouldn't need to mount it on the shifter...

handthrotle1.jpg

Last edited:

OrangeSkidPlate

I have heard of hand throttles before, I like the idea. I'm still leaning towards a twin case in the spring before EJS, not sure if I'd rather dump money into the axles or transfer case. Either way most major mods are on hold for a bit, need to finish school up.

OrangeSkidPlate

Its a been a minute so time for a quick update. Installed a newer transmission with 100k miles, made a huge difference in not only noise but function. Seems to shift much nicer(whether or not it actually does), Installed a "cure" from ruff stuff on the TRE attaching the drag link to the tie rod, seemed to soak up some slop. Still need to replace the passenger side knuckle, noticed that on the driver side, one of the new ball joints have spit out the snap ring. Picked up a tool box for the bed, replaced the alternator, thought about doing a CS144 swap but haven't decided if I want to hack up the alternator harness or not. Bought a 92 4runner and decided I didn't want it, so its for sale.

Some random poser pictures.

So a new problem I have found is that the compressor for the ARBs keep kicking on when the truck is moving, but stays pressurized when the truck isn't. So i think there is a seal bad in the rear locker. I have decided that I am one of those people who get ARBs and don't like them. I have had an air leak since I picked the truck up, I have gone through every connection (except the internals on the diffs) multiple times and the rear keeps leaking. So if someone has a yota 8" with an e-locker and 4.88's wants to trade, I will entertain offers. Also, looking at new sets of 37's, leaning towards either nitto's or MTR/k, any advice would be appreciated.

poorboyzdreamz

poorboyzdreamz
arb.jpg
Typically the seal housing o-ring wear out and start leaking. I have also seen the copper line crack @ the seal housing.

Last edited:

OrangeSkidPlate

So I have been trying to figure out how I am going to get my sled up the mountain this winter. One option is buy a small trailer. Pros are that I can leave the sled on the trailer when I'm not using it, don't have the terrifying experience of cruising up Logan canyon in a top heavy rock crawler. Cons, truck doesn't have a hitch and I can't imagine towing on 37's will be enjoyable. Second option, build a sled deck for the truck bed and get either airbags or go to a stiffer leaf in the rear. Pros, don't have to tow a trailer, less space taken up at the house. Cons might be even more sketchy with a sled deck and sled because of the weight.
I've been thinking about swapping the rear leafs to a 63" chevy, 1) for the better flex 2) might support the weight of a sled better. Thoughts?

ID Bronco

sled decks are sweet, I have been too cheap to buy one that is light enough that I would want to wrangle it. Home brew ones seem to be very heavy if they are all steel. So, I pull a trailer, remember you will need seriously long ramps for a sled deck.

OrangeSkidPlate

Oh my bad, yes it will be. I'm picking up my new sled next week, then I'll have an idea of the dimensions for the deck. If it's not much wider than my wheel wells I might chop a bit out so I can fit in it straight, my issue last spring was the skis are turned in the bed and it drives me insane.

OrangeSkidPlate

Made my last tuition payment last week so its time to throw some money at the truck. So I have a few goals for EJS/this spring:
1) twin case - I think I am going to order the trail gear adaptor plate from lowrange, this will give me the option to clock the transfer case further down the road when I get around to making the belly flat. I want to go with the 4.7 gears in the front case since the Tacoma case can not be regeared. I am a little worried about the chain and input shaft on the transfer case but I think I should be okay as long as I take it easy. Not sure where I will get new driveshafts made but I do like that lowrange has a length difference that their kit makes so I have a general idea of shaft length and can get those ordered.
2) rock sliders and reworking bumpers - should have built sliders last spring but didn't and paid the price. Sliders will be made of 2"x2" square tubing, I will use the same material to wrap the rear bumper around the rear bedside, so some trimming will happen on the lower panel of the bed. I would like to make a little bit of a skid on the front bumper so I don't smack the fairlead on rocks like I have in the past.
3) more suspension travel - The ride quality is where I want it, just want more travel, I feel like the front is limited by the shock length, So I would upgrade to a 12" shock, packaging might be an issue. I will need to remove the old tabs off the shock hoops and move them high up, the inner fender might get some cutting because of this. Also read into Alcan Orbit Eyes for the front and rear, anyone have experience? The front bushings need to be replaced anyways. I also have a set of 63" springs, not sure if the swap is worth the time or money, the trail gear leafs do fairly well and are longer than stock leafs, maybe 4-5" shorter than the 63's.
4) work out bump stop issues - This is kind of part of the travel issue, At full bump the driver side leaf hits the drag link, obviously that is an issue. I need to adjust the bumpstop out so this can be resolved but I have thought about going to air bumps because the front leafs are so soft and I can bottom out the front end by braking too hard or by driving through small gutters. There rear is fine the way it is.
5) ARB troubleshooting - The rear ARB is still giving me issues, has to be an internal problem. Going to take that to thunder mountain to be rebuilt or fixed. Hopefully upgrade to steel braided lines.
6) Diff covers - going with either a ruffstuff or barnes 4x4 cover for the 44, need some sort of cover for the rear, suggestions? everything seems to be about the same.
7) Tires and wheels - Currently work at Big O so I get a deal on wheels and tires, want some steelies and new 37's. Want to go with MTR's, again, any suggestions? Thought about rock rings, not too much though.
8) General maintenance - replace the passenger side ball joints, new TREs, alignment, master cylinder, rear wheel bearings, cab lights
9) Exterior lighting - need some sort of LEDs on the front, amazon bars should do the trick.
10) Supercharger - last but not least, I have done a lot of looking into this, since I have a 95, I have to go about this a little differently. I need to the URD fuel kit (can't run the 7th injector due to the EGR sensor), and have the truck professionally tuned. my buddy has a supercharger on his 02, he is willing to let me bolt it on and see what happens, I would assume my truck will throw a bunch of CELs.

With all this being said, Bare minimum for EJS is 1, 2, 4, and 8.

OrangeSkidPlate

Alright, parts have been ordered, sliders are started, found some extra fundage for new tires. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the progress on sliders.

OrangeSkidPlate

I was able to get a lot done this week, took the diff into thunder mountain, they were able to take a look at it and decided there was nothing wrong with it. I can not find a single leak in any of my lines or fittings. So I am having them put in a new seal housing and hoping that fixes my sealing issues. Since the truck was down for the week, I was able to get all of the maintenance done that was needed. The ball joints and wheel bearings were the hardest parts for sure, had to have a mechanic at work press the ball joints out for me, and had to send off my shafts to get the bearings pressed. I will be getting the truck aligned once it is up and running. Started working on the rock sliders last week before I tore the truck down. Wasn't entirely sure what I wanted and kind of made it up as I went. I have literally no fabricating skills but they turned out okay. I am spending the rest of the day painting them since I don't have a whole lot of other things I want to do right now. Reworking the rear bumper hasn't happened yet, I am going to take a break from metal working for a minute since there is something wrong with our welder. Mounted up the ruffstuff diff cover and have all my twin case parts except the transfer case that I need to go pick up and drivelines I need to order. Tires should be here sometime next week, went with MTRs. I'll throw some more pictures when everything is done.

Bonus Picture of the sled in the truck