Toyota 1995 Tacoma Build

OrangeSkidPlate

I was nervous at first, but with the sled sitting on the gate was much better than it sitting on the gate down, it was starting to buckle with it down. And the way I had it strapped pulled the gate in quite a bit, had it like that for two months without an issue.

OrangeSkidPlate

Quick update: sliders are painted and mounted, rear fenders are cut, twin case is mostly bolted in, drivelines are ordered. Went with Mickey Thompson MTZs. I'll throw some pictures up before I leave for EJS.

OrangeSkidPlate

So I am a bit behind as always, EJS was a gearing up the be the best yet and ended up fighting driveline and clearance issues from the very beginning. I thought that I had ordered a long enough driveshaft for the front, the slip ended up being far too short for the amount of axle wrap that I have so any time I was in double low, the slip would pull apart. I had the drive shaft come apart 6 times on the trail and decided I would just stick to the easy stuff.

I noticed about a month and a half ago that I had a broken leaf in my rear leaf springs, so in my attempt to remove the broken spring, I noticed that the passenger side was missing that leaf in the pack. I also broke the center pin, so I ordered some from Low Range and decided to order a dana 44 to toyota flange adapter and a trail gear 10" slip. So I received my order, wrong center pins, and the slip is far larger than the drive shaft tube diameter that is currently on the truck. So I am thinking that I made a $450 dollar mistake by ordering an incorrect driveshaft. Also pretty sure that I need a longer rear slip as well. I also bought a 92 Pickup with 205000 miles, works great. I have been fighting a soft brake pedal for the last few months since EJS, I have tried bleeding the brakes, replaced all the rear brake components because the drums were warped and were getting hardly any contact from the pads. Still soft.

Bought some FJ80 axles for my buddies 4500 car

So Thursday night after spending every night working on the truck to get it ready to take out for the weekend, I got in an accident on I-80. It was 10:00pm and I was heading to my apartment in Logan, just cruising along in the left lane going 75-80 when someone cut off the car one car ahead of me, so that car slammed on their brakes and basically stopped on the highway, the car in front of me slammed on its brakes and of course the Taco doesn't exactly stop as good as I wish it would so I hit the car in front of me going at least 65 mph. I saw it coming and tried to get out of the way on the left shoulder but I couldn't do anything but brace for it. My rear brakes locked up but not the front. So we pulled over and I expected my truck to be totaled after seeing what happened to their car. I made sure everyone in their vehicle was okay and turned around to go back to my truck to get my phone and well....the pictures will explain how bad it was. The other driver was convinced that the person that had hit them, me, had driven away and that I was a good Samaritan just stopping by to make sure they were okay. Of course I got a ticket, I was able to drive the truck the rest of the way to Logan.

I noticed that the impact had been enough to make my tool box want to to jump out of the bed.

Trying to bend my bumper back

So everyone was okay, the Nissan was totaled. I drove away with a bent bumper, a small dent in the hood, a slightly broken corner light and a bent fairlead. Not sure if the frame on the truck is bent, don't really want to know. My big plans for the truck obviously changed since I have to pay for this ticket and get new driveshafts....again. So I am just going to see where I am at financially around September and figure that out.

OrangeSkidPlate

Just rolled a 14 bolt and a big hub 44 into the garage. Tentative plan is build the 14 bolt first, sell everything under truck that is suspension, axles, tires. Not sure if I want to run the big hub, but the axles were a good deal. If I come across a 60 for a good deal, might go that route. As of now I can use most of the goodies off my current 44 to save time and money. As always, ideas or concerns are appreciated.

OrangeSkidPlate

Quick update, Chevy Dana 60 has been acquired, ordered a ruffstuff 3 link kit, 63's are currently being swapped. I should start having things for sale here in a bit if anyone wants anything. I'm selling the axles, twin case, steering, leaf springs and eventually the rear bumper.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Quick update, Chevy Dana 60 has been acquired, ordered a ruffstuff 3 link kit, 63's are currently being swapped. I should start having things for sale here in a bit if anyone wants anything. I'm selling the axles, twin case, steering, leaf springs and eventually the rear bumper.

I could possibly be interested in the twin case and steering box when you are ready

OrangeSkidPlate

I have been too lazy to update but I have gotten a little bit of stuff done on the truck. I bought some 14" bilsteins hoping they would fit on the front, they didn't. So I put them thru the bed on the rear. I have a set of 40's on the way from a buddy, so the 37's and wheels are for sale. Picked up a gear box that is tapped for hydro assist, trimmed the rear fenders. I need to tub the front, so I'll be using sixstringsteves Tacomas build thread for that. I need to get new wheels to run the 40's, now sure if I should get battle born beadlocks or get internal coyote beadlocks. I am hopefully getting the tons in this summer. IMG_20180107_162842573.jpgIMG_20180106_154039868.jpgIMG_20171230_122410232.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171201_173143092.jpg
    IMG_20171201_173143092.jpg
    979.2 KB · Views: 3

OrangeSkidPlate

Since I am waiting on my tax return to buy parts, I decided to bob the truck. I love the look of shackles on the bumper but I didn't want to lose lift in the rear since I think it's sitting about perfect. I cut 13" out, about 8" off the frame. It was pretty nerve racking to start cutting but it ended up being pretty straight. I didn't have enough time to start welding so it's held together with some straps for now. IMG_20180217_131317792.jpgIMG_20180217_144732_384.jpgIMG_20180217_163221183.jpgIMG_20180218_145307_859.jpg

This is by far my favorite picture of the truck, I am super excited to have the bob finished, 40's and hydro. IMG_20180217_163236052.jpg

Before EJS I need to get my rear spring perches welded since they are ripping off the housing, 40's mounted on rims with more offset, hydro mounted and plumbed, and finish my spare tire mount.