1997 F-150 towing question?

utahxjer

Looking at a 97' F-150 with the 4.6L V8. Question is would I be able to tow my jeep to the trails with it?

utahxjer

is there things that would make it easier on the f-150? tranny cooler, helper springs, trailer brakes, ?

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Just looking at the charts on the 2005's (are the 97's much different??) the max tow weight is 6200 pounds. A trailer, plus rig would put you close to that weight already. Add in some passengers, camping gear, spare parts, tools (to fix the broken F*rd of course :) ) and you will easily go over that limit. I think that the answer is yes you could tow a rig with a 150, but you are close to your max limit already. If you know and understand that and play it conservative you should be ok, but for that kind of work you should look at stepping up to a 3/4 ton.

The other side of this is the 4.6L puts out 230HP, that engine is going to struggle to get moving and to pull all of that up a hill. Sure it will do it, but you will need to exercise patients as those VW vans pass you going up parleys. Ok it would not be that bad, but you get the idea.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
utahxjer said:
is there things that would make it easier on the f-150? tranny cooler, helper springs, trailer brakes, ?

Trailer brakes are a must. I think that even Utah law requires it, but either way that is a lot of weight to stop, get all the help you can

cooler will help get more life out of the tranny. helper springs may help you carry more weight, but their are other issues as well. Like 6000 pounds behind you when you only weight 6000 pounds (what is the weight of a 150 anyways?)

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
more info...

Max trailor weight of different trucks

F150 = 6200
F250 = 11200 - 12500 (depending on engine)
F350 = 11400 - 15000 (depedning on engine)

An upgrade to a 3/4 ton will double your tow capacity. Gears and wheel base will change come of these numbers, but this will give you an idea. I took all of the info from the F*rd website, if you look around you can get a better idea of how weight, wheel base, gears, engine, brakes, etc can determine what you can pull.

Rusted's pretty much covered everything, but...I do have a picture for you of someone I know who pulls his FSB with a new F-150:

P0000024.jpg

And here is what he had to say about it:

It has the 5.4, 3.55s, 4x4, 6.5ft bed, auto. For what I need, this truck works great. This was my first time really towing with it. I stayed right at 65mph for the majority of the 80 mile trip. RPMs with the OD off were just above 2k. Long hills, it would hit 3k. Gas mileage was not the best, but that was not to be expected. I could have gotten it to 70-75, just didn't think it to safe with 7k behind me. 3.73s would have been a little bit better for me, but they only seemed to be found in the fx4s.

As you can see in the pic, the truck really did not squat too much in the rear.

Diesel tow rigs are cool, but I really dont think they are always needed. Alot of people think they need a diesel to tow anything.

Me personally...I'd tow that beast with a diesel, but you can do it without.

I've towed my YJ and FJ40 both with a 99 F150. Like the others say, it's about the most you want to put the truck up to and you're going to be going slow. Mountain passes are going to be pretty slow and trailer brakes are a must. Our F150 has a hard time stopping with just my snowmobiles behind it.

Caleb

rusted said:
Just looking at the charts on the 2005's (are the 97's much different??) the max tow weight is 6200 pounds. A trailer, plus rig would put you close to that weight already. Add in some passengers, camping gear, spare parts, tools (to fix the broken F*rd of course :) ) and you will easily go over that limit. I think that the answer is yes you could tow a rig with a 150, but you are close to your max limit already. If you know and understand that and play it conservative you should be ok, but for that kind of work you should look at stepping up to a 3/4 ton.

The other side of this is the 4.6L puts out 230HP, that engine is going to struggle to get moving and to pull all of that up a hill. Sure it will do it, but you will need to exercise patients as those VW vans pass you going up parleys. Ok it would not be that bad, but you get the idea.

FWIW, there is a huge difference between the 2005s and 97s...they totally redid the frames, brakes, suspension, etc in 2004 (I believe its 2004)...they beefed everything up...I had a buddy with a 97 F150...he towed tons of stuff with it. He carried a slide-in camper and towed three horses around to shows around the state. He knew it was more than his truck should be towing but he did it anyways. Things he worked up to, stiff springs all around, also added OL springs to the rear. He obviously used a brake controller, he also upgraded to E rated tires (he said it made quite a bit of difference, which I can imagine it would from the stock C rated tires). He didn;t do much to the engine or tranny, altough he did have a 5 speed and not an auto.

Would I do it, no, can it be done sure but it will have pucker factor in most situations and in some situations it will be best just to p;ull over and be patient. Also, dont plan on getting anywhere fast.

81Ramchargerman

Shawn said:
Bahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LMAO!!!!

Y...because you don't have a ford? :rolleyes: :rofl: My dad's 79 econoline conversion van never has problems!! Although, it weighs well over 8000lbs (vehicle alone). But at least we never have problems towing, plus he got it cheap. :D We load up our 3500 lb boat with all the camping gear it takes for a family to go camping for a week, plus our contribution to the rest of the group of 42 people, and go to palisades resevoir.

81Ramchargerman

lol :rofl: :rofl:...I have a dodge :rofl: but I have to say, that van is near indestructible, and we beat the hell out of my buddies ranger, although that started to show after about 6 month. :p :D

utahxjer

well, it's now official, got a pretty good interest rate too! I was happy, Truck World in Lehi, check em out

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Shawn said:
no because I'm smart enough NOT to own one......... :p

Don't you own a Subaru there old man?? Whats wrong with Ford's, huh? I work for Ford and think they make a great product---especially when talking about trucks. Now our cars.....