For Sale 1998 Montero with factory center diff lock and rear air locker plus upgrades

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Asking Price
$5000
Condition
Used - Good Condition
Ever wanted a 100 series but wasn't in your budget, here is your best alternative! I have owned our 98 Montero for a bit over 4 years, currently has 169,275 miles. Shortly after I bought it at 155k miles I replaced the valve cover gaskets, plugs and wires, cam seals, coolant flush with thermostat and fan clutch, replaced the a/c fan, relocated the heated seat switches, alternator, and changed the fluids in the differentials and transfer case. Valve seals are good, zero smoke even after sitting for weeks. It had been in the same family since new and I bought it from the nephew of the original owner, he had never taken it off-road and didn't even know how to shift it into 4-lo or use the air locker. They changed the timing belt just before I bought it. I had a few issues with the transfer case lever so I swapped in an earlier white ball case lever and relocated the heated seat switches at that time, all 4wd modes work as they should as well as the locker, we live about 2 miles from an off-road area and can show you how fun the locker is. The leather is in good condition with no tears or deep cracks, it was never smoked in by any of its owners. Carpet has been regularly vacuumed but could use a good cleaning. The exterior is not perfect, it has a few rust spots on the rockers but are not rusted through, this is a common issue because owners never cleaned very well between the rocker and running boards where salt collects, about 80% of gen 2.5's I have seen have rust there. A few years ago I removed the factory roof rack and it left "holes" where the nut inserts were pulled out, I simply covered them with white duct tape and has not ever leaked, they are not visible unless you know they are there. Two winters back I was playing in the snow and smacked a small tree by the passenger headlight area, it damaged some of the sheet metal around it but you can see the body panels line line up fine, it’s all cosmetic and I have all of the matching parts to fix it, just kept putting it off. Tires on it are 33x10.50 km2's with 40% tread with matching spare. It has the complete OME suspension. Heat and A/C work great and suspension is tight, only put about 3k miles on it since installing the lift and has been on one real trail and a few forest roads. I removed and stored the 3rd row seats in the garage when I bought it. Rear sliding windows have pet barriers screwed into the plastic but are easily removed. I plan to put a new windshield in before its new owner picks it up, current one cracked on the passenger side when I turned on the defrost one cold day. Also have included some extra door cards/panels and some rear door plastics you can swap in. I believe in being brutally honest when I sell things, feel free to ask anything I may have left out. Located just north of Salt Lake City, UT. Asking $5000 obo.118366118367118368118369118370

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I was just telling my wife yesterday that I kinda wanted a Montero.

They are great rigs with beefy running gear, far stronger than my Jeeps in the past even after building them up, plus they seat 7. Aside from the cosmetics it's a great rig, I just like the 96 better. We live just below the B in Bountiful and can show you how everything works if you want to come look at it.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
@SLC4 this would make a great low cost first family rig to get started. Really capable already, some room to do some more upgrades and learn the wrench side of your rig without blowing the budget. reasonable street manners to drive daily if necessary.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
@SLC4 this would make a great low cost first family rig to get started. Really capable already, some room to do some more upgrades and learn the wrench side of your rig without blowing the budget. reasonable street manners to drive daily if necessary.

It's a great rig for whomever buys it, all it really "needs" are some sliders to be more trail friendly. We have taken it up Forest Lake and all over the B and the frame has never even touched, so it may not even need sliders unless someone intends to get a bit crazy with it.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I loved my three Monteros. Had a gen 1 (1990), a gen 2 (1993 SR that was awesome), and a gen 3 (2003). Lots of good memories in all three. I identify as a non-wrenching individual, so I tend to stick to newer or more common makes and models, but can recommend these for those in the market as being an incredible value. Good luck with the sale.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I loved my three Monteros. Had a gen 1 (1990), a gen 2 (1993 SR that was awesome), and a gen 3 (2003). Lots of good memories in all three. I identify as a non-wrenching individual, so I tend to stick to newer or more common makes and models, but can recommend these for those in the market as being an incredible value. Good luck with the sale.

They are great rigs, wish I had known about them many years ago.