1999 Honda CRV EX Debut! - Pushing the AWD

Well thought I'd start here with something Unique and rarely seen in the offroading/overlanding scene though getting more popular The Honda CRV. Thus far it has liked American Fork pretty well, and got all the way up to miller mine no problem. Have some before and afters here, and am really excited to be doing this.

I know CRV's aren't the most widely used offroading vehicle, but I wanted to do something unique and thus far this guy has been a gem (Minus me destroying my stock transmission. Lessons learned people.)

MI CRV.jpg

V1 - Ok but you know... cheep man lift. - Yes, it had strut spacers between the springs. Did ok but when they started popping out, it was time to replace. SO

*****UPDATE 07/10/2020*****

This is the most recent photo of my work. Bigger tires, better suspension, and one quick addition I did recently was a 2nd trans cooler (As the stock one is built into the stock radiator) cause it was getting a tad hot.

20200704_170117 (2).jpg

V2 - HRG CRV LIFT 3" - Now with as proper a lift you can get. Adjustable control arms rear and front. This photo was taken up above Miller Mine in the Uinta. Some bolts did come a little lose but I expected that. Made friends up here over the 4th of July.

So down to work I have done on this guy so far. This has been quite the ride (And chunk of change) Getting to this point with more to go.

***LIST UPDATED 07/10/2020***
Work already done:
-- Transmission rebuild with updated parts (Fixed the issue of OEM Transmissions burning out at around 230k-250k. I was dumb and did a trany flush, and it killed mine)
-- Front to rear drive line rebuilt
-- Rear Main Seal fixed
-- Engine temp sensors fixed
-- New rack and pinion, as well as rear and front control arms (First one went bad, on my second. Yay for warranties)
-- Tuned engine with new distributor cap as well as ignition Coil
-- 15 Inch BAJA American Racing wheels
-- New Brakes, Rotors, and drums. (Snapped a break line but nothing a quick visit to a pick and pull cant fix. Sure do learn a lot working on your own rig.)
-- Resonator Delete (Because prior owner had somehow crushed it, so just had them cut it out and put a new muffler on)

BIG UPDATE:
-- THREE INCH Lift kit now installed. Made by HRG. 1" Subframe drop for the CV axles cause they need love too (Tighten ALL the bolts) Entire engine all the way to the rear diff is now 1 inch lower. Still have more ride height than before.
-- Front upper control arms made by TruHart racing. Shout out to those guys making this possible as they sell one specifically for lifted CRV's.
-- 235/75/15 Big O AT's (Way better than the Corrugas which were 205/70/15)
-- All engine mounts are replaced (Got myself an air compressor and an impact gun. So good to fix your own stuff)
-- Dedicated trans cooler now installed. The Stock radiator shares cooling the engine with the transmission, so installed the biggest trans cooler i could fit. So now technically it has 2. Recommend if you're using automatic especially in this heat.
-- HRG Skid Plate.
-- High Flow Cat (Fed Cat)

So far I think the key thing is the independent suspension. With a lack of Locker or gearing options (For now) this little guy does very well for what he is. Also didnt lose a lot of MPG.

Last edited: