Toyota 1st Gen Taco - Let's talk rear leafs

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Currently collecting parts for a decent size project on the Tacoma double cab that I picked up last summer. (Thread coming when I start) I have a plan for almost everything lined out except what to do with the rear leaf spring setup. I'm going to need roughly 3"-4" of lift and I've read about some people using 'Chevy' leafs under there. I'd also like it to be able to carry a decent amount of gear when needed so I can't go with anything too flimsy.

Any recommendations in this area? What are the 'cool' taco leaf spring hacks out there?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I ran Chevy's on my old '85 Toyota pickup, they're long and soft. I think a had a little wheel hop with them. Since then on other Toyotas, I've used AllPro or Trail Gear rear spring packs and have been pretty happy. They seem to be built with many, small leaves where the Chevy packs are 3 or 4 leafs.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I was very a happy with Allpro's leafs on my double cab, but it also depends what your doing with the front suspension..

Rock Taco

Deaver leaf springs have a good reputation among toyota fans. They have a couple different options more long travel or more expedition style if thats what you're after. Chevy springs can be done pretty cheaply but with some custom fab.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I'm doing all custom on the front, it's getting 4-link + panhard w/ coilovers, but the rear I was hoping to keep simple, but I'm definitely good with putting chevs under there if they provide a slick ride. I'm not going 'expo' with it, just an all around good riding rig that will be decently capable in the rocks if needed. I thought I could stick with the IFS but... I just can't. :rick:

OrangeSkidPlate

I ran some trail gear leafs for the first year and a half on my Tacoma, I liked them and held up to a snowmobile being in the truck for two and a half months. I recently switched to a Chevy leaf, they ride better than the trail gear and it's nice because if you break one, it's far easier to get replacement leafs. With that being said, I have those rear TG leafs for sale if you want them.

Box Rocket

bored
63's will sag a bit with a good bed load, but they'll be really flexy. I had good results with the Old Man Emu Dakar leaf packs but you'll want to add the OME extra leaf pn# D6XL. The extra leaf will add about 3/4" of lift but dramatically improve load capacity. They actually flex really well too but you need to relocate the shock mounts from the stock locations. It's difficult to find shocks that fit in the stock locations that don't limit flex. Here's a couple pics of my rear setup with the Dakars and relocated shocks.

My rear shock setup using the OME shocks. Gained about 6" extra travel from stock shock locations.

I loaded them up pretty heavily on a regular basis.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
63's will sag a bit with a good bed load, but they'll be really flexy. I had good results with the Old Man Emu Dakar leaf packs but you'll want to add the OME extra leaf pn# D6XL. The extra leaf will add about 3/4" of lift but dramatically improve load capacity. They actually flex really well too but you need to relocate the shock mounts from the stock locations. It's difficult to find shocks that fit in the stock locations that don't limit flex. Here's a couple pics of my rear setup with the Dakars and relocated shocks.

My rear shock setup using the OME shocks. Gained about 6" extra travel from stock shock locations.

I loaded them up pretty heavily on a regular basis.

Thank you! I was secretly hoping you'd chime in. Loved that Taco. :cool:

Box Rocket

bored
Thank you! I was secretly hoping you'd chime in. Loved that Taco. :cool:
No worries. Hopefully it's helpful info. Not really an apples to apples comparison but we did a 63" chevy conversion on my son's 1980 pickup. We're using the lighter 3 leaf versions. I know the pickup is lighter than a Tacoma but so far I'm more impressed with the flex I was able to get on my Taco with the OME springs than I am with the 63's on the pickup. Also was not as jazzed about the ride quality of the 63's as I thought I'd be based on feedback from others.

But I think I can still get some improvements from the 63's Here's where it's at currently.
82C03ADD-DF14-4328-8D0A-4019866B18DE_zpsgsdcr8hj.jpg

There's more flex to be had but I ran out of jack.
rearflex.jpg