2.0 remote res fox shock tuning - info about shims and shim packs?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I know at least a couple people who have dived into their shocks and rebuilt them or re-shimmed them. The rear shocks on the taco are just too stiff (shock only, not coilover) and sometimes causes road hop while driving. My guess is that I need to refine the compression and rebound a bit. I've read to shoot for the softer ride option and then tune from there later.

I guess, my question is: what are the best resources (text / video) for a DIYer to do this? Is there a way to know how my shocks are shimmed before I tear into them so I can plan ahead? Do I need a shim kit or should I plan on just removing one or two here and there? I'm a complete newb to this.

J-mobzz

I know at least a couple people who have dived into their shocks and rebuilt them or re-shimmed them. The rear shocks on the taco are just too stiff (shock only, not coilover) and sometimes causes road hop while driving. My guess is that I need to refine the compression and rebound a bit. I've read to shoot for the softer ride option and then tune from there later.

I guess, my question is: what are the best resources (text / video) for a DIYer to do this? Is there a way to know how my shocks are shimmed before I tear into them so I can plan ahead? Do I need a shim kit or should I plan on just removing one or two here and there? I'm a complete newb to this.
I’ve tuned several pairs of shocks. If your shocks are form a place that has them built you should be able to find out the shim stack pretty easily by calling. Fox also stamps the stacks into the bottom cup often too.

I would say no you don’t need a kit. My go to is Polly performance but I have also bought shims at atv shops in a pinch. They are just expensive.

I wouldn’t mess with the rebound unless you have reason to. And the shock being to stiff isn’t reason to imo.