2 post lifts

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I'm just going with the general consensus and specs that seem to be close on a few of the lifts mfgs for the capacity range I want and what others have done (spent some time reading across various shop build forums) Gonna do 4.5" - 5", 3,500 psi w/ 12" reinforcement across the whole floor.
5" is what I poured for the entire floor in the garage I built last year. I did not add any extra rebar to the area but I did dig a little bit extra in the area where I am planning on putting the lift so that it is probably about 6" in that vicinity.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I think BendPak has the most stringent specs for new concrete. If I remember right the footing they want was 12" deeper than the rest of the floor depth at 48" wide and a foot or so past the width of the lift on each side. So yes, a big hole. Then rebar at 8" or something like that. Also I believe it was 4000 psi concrete. I figured there must be some method to their madness so I went with that spec even though I used Atlas.
If funny though because I think their "old concrete" spec is like 3" deep at 3000psi. So if that is good enough, then what they want for new is way overkill.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I've been planning a shop for a couple years (high prices have pushed me to wait); for the lift, I will probably pour two sections deeper with the rebar deeper to prevent the anchors from hitting it. On a couple of quotes, reducing concrete this way saved a few $. The rest of the floor will be a standard, reinforced 4" thick slab.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Supporting Vendor
I've been planning a shop for a couple years (high prices have pushed me to wait); for the lift, I will probably pour two sections deeper with the rebar deeper to prevent the anchors from hitting it. On a couple of quotes, reducing concrete this way saved a few $. The rest of the floor will be a standard, reinforced 4" thick slab.

I'm glad I built my shop when I did in 2017 as I think it would cost me nearly double now. It was still much more than I wanted to spend but now after being in it for 5 years I am glad I went slightly over budget for the items that I did. Buy once, cry once never meant as much as it did when building my last and final shop.

As for concrete I new exactly where my lift was going to be placed before the floor was poured so I had the extra rebar grid in place prior so that is very helpful. I also knew I wouldn't hit the rebar with an anchor by measuring so thoroughly before I poured. I went a bit thicker on the shop floor concrete much like my last shop with nearly 6" and over a heavily compacted substrate of aggregate. Where I have done and do a lot of suspension setup as far as alignments, and chassis work in combination with my machining equipment, having a floor that is stable and doesn't move around is paramount. Also I had it designed just in case one day I can afford that 55k pound Prevost coach that I seem to fantasize about.:D