2 post lifts

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Is this a “clear floor” style? If so, I think this could be the lift I get as well. Looking forward to a review! 🤘
This is on the we're getting:

It will be installed tomorrow morning. I'll let you know my thoughts, but so far I think VERY little of the company we're purchasing it from and who are doing the installation. Hopefully the install crew is better than the sales crew. All of that has little to no reflection on Atlas though.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Oof.

With me knowing nothing more than that screenshot---those uprights and mounting feet look smaller than mine. Maybe an 8K lift vs. my 10K? Also, with where the arms are placed (in the middle of the truck fender/door), I'm wondering if it slipped first, so it was a falling "shock load" to actually break the arms.

Either way, I still like mine. :D

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
My lift install failed miserably today. :mad:

The back story: I contacted a local lift dealer who just happened to have the lift I wanted in stock. After many unbelievably stupid phone calls, emails, and texts (I HATE texts outside of continuing conversations among friends) and a no show yesterday, they arrived this morning for the install. My place is kind of hard to find so I told them to call me when they get on my street and I'd walk out and meet them. They do. As they pull up I quickly notice a couple things. Their work truck was on its last leg ten years ago. Their two axle trailer was missing both wheels on the front axle. One of the two straps holding my lift on the trailer came loose and was dragging down the street behind the trailer. The two tweekers inside the truck were..... well...... questionable at best. The first thing they both said, was if they could use my bathroom. :grimacing:
I get them situated and used our forklift to get the lift off the trailer. I had already chalk lined the layout of how I wanted the lift positioned so it was easy for them. They got started. I went back to my paperwork inside. I went out and checked on them every 10-15 minutes. They said they do this every day, which brought some relief. At one point they knocked on the door and they needed to cut a hole in the new roof to get the lift to fit. I calmly said no.
Turns out they brought me the wrong lift. A 16' high version of the lift I wanted. After a few phone calls with their boss it was decided between them that the installers could just drill a few holes in the upper post sections so they would overlap with the lower section more and then be shorter. I told them that would be fine just as soon as I received emails from their boss and Atlas stating they would both back the modification and certify it. After another phone call they were loading all the pieces back on their trailer and leaving.

So here's what I learned. I was quoted and ordered an "Atlas PV-12P". A google search will pull this unit up and give you all the specs. It's because of those specs that I picked this unit. The installers went to their warehouse this morning and asked for a PV-12P. They didn't know it, but they were given a "ATPK-PV-12P" The unit I was supposed to be given was a "ATTD-PV-12P". Now I've learned the ATTD was made by Atlas's old manufacture and the ATPK is built by their new one. And for some reason it's 3 feet taller. They think the ATTD is discontented but they also think they still have it in stock. They're going to call me back "in 5 minutes" and let me know for sure. That was at 1230pm.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Those of you who have a two bay shop / garage - which bay do you prefer to have the lift in? I have a wider bay on the left and a narrower bay on the right. My line of thinking is that two post lifts kind of limit your work area when not in use so put it in the slightly narrower bay... but I'm a two post newb so maybe I'd want it in the larger work area? What do the wise sages of two post lifts say?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I went the opposite way. Where I put mine it is technically two bays but the lift takes up like one and a half. So I got the widest lift I could find that met the rest of my specs. I can pull a vehicle in and still have a lot of room to move around it while it’s still on the ground. I also set the lift as far into the bay as I could do I could still have two vehicles in the bays in front of the lift.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Those of you who have a two bay shop / garage - which bay do you prefer to have the lift in?
If you were mostly using it like a mechanic, it probably wouldn’t matter. I’m gonna assume you’ll use it during most or all of a buggy build or long term project. If that’s the case, probably better to tie-up the “less used” door and related area.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If you were mostly using it like a mechanic, it probably wouldn’t matter. I’m gonna assume you’ll use it during most or all of a buggy build or long term project. If that’s the case, probably better to tie-up the “less used” door and related area.
Definitely more project based rather than random mechanic jobs, but definitely both.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Here's a photo to help with what I'm thinking. Concrete guys coming this weekend to prep, then pouring the weekend after, so I'm super excited about that.

The narrow bay isn't super narrow but it seems like the logical choice for the lift and leaves the larger bay open for other things going on. I'm just glad I also have a normal attached garage to keep the daily drivers in so that will give me a lot more room for projects in the new shop.

Narrower bay:
IMG_9678.jpeg

Narrower on the right where the buggy is parked
IMG_9680.jpeg

I also just realized, I definitely need to keep the large bay open as I currently have my trailer sitting in there full of steel...

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Be sure to check out the specs on “new concrete” for the lift you plan on using. I was quite surprised on what many of them wanted done. Also, it takes 28 days of curing before install.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Be sure to check out the specs on “new concrete” for the lift you plan on using. I was quite surprised on what many of them wanted done. Also, it takes 28 days of curing before install.
100% - I told the concrete guys what specs I wanted and they were good with it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Thats a great start on your shop. I'm interested to hear how you handle the concrete for the lift
I'm just going with the general consensus and specs that seem to be close on a few of the lifts mfgs for the capacity range I want and what others have done (spent some time reading across various shop build forums) Gonna do 4.5" - 5", 3,500 psi w/ 12" reinforcement across the whole floor.