2 post lifts

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I'm just going with the general consensus and specs that seem to be close on a few of the lifts mfgs for the capacity range I want and what others have done (spent some time reading across various shop build forums) Gonna do 4.5" - 5", 3,500 psi w/ 12" reinforcement across the whole floor.
5" is what I poured for the entire floor in the garage I built last year. I did not add any extra rebar to the area but I did dig a little bit extra in the area where I am planning on putting the lift so that it is probably about 6" in that vicinity.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I think BendPak has the most stringent specs for new concrete. If I remember right the footing they want was 12" deeper than the rest of the floor depth at 48" wide and a foot or so past the width of the lift on each side. So yes, a big hole. Then rebar at 8" or something like that. Also I believe it was 4000 psi concrete. I figured there must be some method to their madness so I went with that spec even though I used Atlas.
If funny though because I think their "old concrete" spec is like 3" deep at 3000psi. So if that is good enough, then what they want for new is way overkill.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I've been planning a shop for a couple years (high prices have pushed me to wait); for the lift, I will probably pour two sections deeper with the rebar deeper to prevent the anchors from hitting it. On a couple of quotes, reducing concrete this way saved a few $. The rest of the floor will be a standard, reinforced 4" thick slab.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I've been planning a shop for a couple years (high prices have pushed me to wait); for the lift, I will probably pour two sections deeper with the rebar deeper to prevent the anchors from hitting it. On a couple of quotes, reducing concrete this way saved a few $. The rest of the floor will be a standard, reinforced 4" thick slab.

I'm glad I built my shop when I did in 2017 as I think it would cost me nearly double now. It was still much more than I wanted to spend but now after being in it for 5 years I am glad I went slightly over budget for the items that I did. Buy once, cry once never meant as much as it did when building my last and final shop.

As for concrete I new exactly where my lift was going to be placed before the floor was poured so I had the extra rebar grid in place prior so that is very helpful. I also knew I wouldn't hit the rebar with an anchor by measuring so thoroughly before I poured. I went a bit thicker on the shop floor concrete much like my last shop with nearly 6" and over a heavily compacted substrate of aggregate. Where I have done and do a lot of suspension setup as far as alignments, and chassis work in combination with my machining equipment, having a floor that is stable and doesn't move around is paramount. Also I had it designed just in case one day I can afford that 55k pound Prevost coach that I seem to fantasize about.:D

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
My lift install failed miserably today. :mad:

The back story: I contacted a local lift dealer who just happened to have the lift I wanted in stock. After many unbelievably stupid phone calls, emails, and texts (I HATE texts outside of continuing conversations among friends) and a no show yesterday, they arrived this morning for the install. My place is kind of hard to find so I told them to call me when they get on my street and I'd walk out and meet them. They do. As they pull up I quickly notice a couple things. Their work truck was on its last leg ten years ago. Their two axle trailer was missing both wheels on the front axle. One of the two straps holding my lift on the trailer came loose and was dragging down the street behind the trailer. The two tweekers inside the truck were..... well...... questionable at best. The first thing they both said, was if they could use my bathroom. :grimacing:
I get them situated and used our forklift to get the lift off the trailer. I had already chalk lined the layout of how I wanted the lift positioned so it was easy for them. They got started. I went back to my paperwork inside. I went out and checked on them every 10-15 minutes. They said they do this every day, which brought some relief. At one point they knocked on the door and they needed to cut a hole in the new roof to get the lift to fit. I calmly said no.
Turns out they brought me the wrong lift. A 16' high version of the lift I wanted. After a few phone calls with their boss it was decided between them that the installers could just drill a few holes in the upper post sections so they would overlap with the lower section more and then be shorter. I told them that would be fine just as soon as I received emails from their boss and Atlas stating they would both back the modification and certify it. After another phone call they were loading all the pieces back on their trailer and leaving.

So here's what I learned. I was quoted and ordered an "Atlas PV-12P". A google search will pull this unit up and give you all the specs. It's because of those specs that I picked this unit. The installers went to their warehouse this morning and asked for a PV-12P. They didn't know it, but they were given a "ATPK-PV-12P" The unit I was supposed to be given was a "ATTD-PV-12P". Now I've learned the ATTD was made by Atlas's old manufacture and the ATPK is built by their new one. And for some reason it's 3 feet taller. They think the ATTD is discontented but they also think they still have it in stock. They're going to call me back "in 5 minutes" and let me know for sure. That was at 1230pm.

Do you have an update on what happened? I'd assume they got you squared away. If so, how has the Atlas lift been treating you?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Do you have an update on what happened? I'd assume they got you squared away. If so, how has the Atlas lift been treating you?
Long story short, they did get me the lift I wanted. The same tweekers came back and installed it, with a new, third tweeker who obviously never turned a wrench before. Once it was “complete” and they wanted to leave I asked if they were going to load test it. I was told they wouldn’t because they don’t know how to operate them, just installed them. I told them to leave.
I then got busy tightening all the loose bolts and replacing bolts that were too short with longer ones… until I had had enough.
I called the owner and told him the situation then VERY firmly asked him to come inspect the work and to load test it. He showed up the next morning with his entire install crew. Probably 7-8 guys. He wanted to train them all, at my expense. I pointed out the long bolts that were where the short bolts went and the short bolts I replaced with longer ones. I pointed out the hydraulic leaks I fixed. I showed them the idea of using a paint pen to mark bolts that had been torqued. On and on and on.
They of course didn’t want to do a full load test. I made them. I grabbed my forklift that should weigh in between 10-11k pounds. Close enough and the heaviest thing I will lift. None of his crew would stand anywhere near the lift as I raised the forklift. Sad really. That’s one business I won’t use again.

As for the lift. It’s ok. I have very little experience with them and don’t recall the brands of lifts I have used so I can’t really say who's is better. I feel like the carriages are too loose inside the uprights. I don’t like all the play in them. While lowering a truck I sometimes get chatter in them and have to stop or slow down. I think it they fit better they wouldn’t do that. The uhmw slides should be slippery enough not to require lube but because of the chatter I have to lube them. The uprights can be mounted up to 3* off of vertical, but mine was installed plumb. The ground is not flat (for water run off) so the two arms on the high side drag the ground just a bit as they swing. Install issues. Not Atlas.

I’m glad we got the 12k. Seeing how this is built I think the more normal 7-8k would be very under built. I have no idea what the safety factor is, but I doubt it’s very high. I’m sure mine will fall apart at 12001 pounds. But I’ve been using it almost daily and I feel safer under it more and more. Still very cautious but one should always be. My typical lift is half ton GM and Ford trucks with up to 1500 pounds of water weight in the beds. We have a couple 3/4 ton trucks but they have empty beds. I never get any indication that’s it’s struggling to make the lift.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Its good input. When I buy a lift I'll need someone to install it since I don't have a way to unload the trailer or lift the posts into position

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I've watched the funny videos of the new forklift drivers destroying (and killing) everything. I don't have experience at all driving one, so I'd need to find someone who does. I guess it worth the effort to check into it.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
You don’t need a forklift to install one. The uprights come in two sections you lay them out on the ground and bolt the lower section to the upper. Then get two or three guys to lift it up. Do that for both sides then install the upper cross section. Two guys with two ladders is all that takes. Maybe even one guy. Not a heavy piece. The rest is easy one man stuff.
We only used my forklift to unload it from their trailer. They could have easily unboxed it on the trailer and carried each piece over to the install spot.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You don’t need a forklift to install one. The uprights come in two sections you lay them out on the ground and bolt the lower section to the upper. Then get two or three guys to lift it up. Do that for both sides then install the upper cross section. Two guys with two ladders is all that takes. Maybe even one guy. Not a heavy piece. The rest is easy one man stuff.
We only used my forklift to unload it from their trailer. They could have easily unboxed it on the trailer and carried each piece over to the install spot.
I unloaded mine from the truck using a borrowed forklift (thanks!), then installed it myself. My wife and I stood the columns up. Mine is a base-plate model, so it's not as tall....but same otherwise. NBD.