2003 Jeep TJ build advice

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I have a jeep friend looking to build his 2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0 motor and auto tranny.

Currently he has a 2-4 inch coil lift (I am not sure) with stock links and stock every thing other than 33 inch tires. My friend is thinking his end goal is to have a freeway worthy jeep on 35's that he can take to jeep safari and drive home.

To start his tie rods and front sway bars are bent and in need of being up graded. He is also needs to get a better gear ratio, but wants to upgrade to axles worth gearing.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am a toyota guy and know nothing about jeeps.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That's a really open-ended question, which means he'll get a lot of differing opinions.

But

How much money does he want to throw at it?

I would likely suggest building my TJ, because I like how it works and it's on 35's. :D

I still have stock axles (D30/D44), with ARB's and 4.56 gears. I wish it were an auto...

Long suspension arms--mine is radius arm front, triangulated rear.

Dual-rate front swaybar.

Crossover steering/high steer. Mine is a WJ knuckle setup that also improves the brakes.

Teraflex Belly Up skidplate, plus oil pan/tranny pan skids. That gains a couple inches of clearance under the belly with no additional lift.

I have a few more things, but that's the main 'performance' parts.

Marsh99

That's a really open-ended question, which means he'll get a lot of differing opinions.

But

How much money does he want to throw at it?

I would likely suggest building my TJ, because I like how it works and it's on 35's. :D

I still have stock axles (D30/D44), with ARB's and 4.56 gears. I wish it were an auto...

Long suspension arms--mine is radius arm front, triangulated rear.

Dual-rate front swaybar.

Crossover steering/high steer. Mine is a WJ knuckle setup that also improves the brakes.

Teraflex Belly Up skidplate, plus oil pan/tranny pan skids. That gains a couple inches of clearance under the belly with no additional lift.

I have a few more things, but that's the main 'performance' parts.

I had him identify his rear axle and he is pretty sure it is a dana 35. His budget not huge but he knows this not the cheapest hobby.

Last edited:

Marsh99

I would not put a dime into that axle. Swap in a D44, 8.8, or pretty much ANY OTHER DAMN AXLE and he'll be money ahead. :greg:

I have been looking at the 8.8 axle options out of a 95+ ford explorer and then buying a bracket kit to bolt it on. Tj 44s seem to be hard to find.

B2-Bomber

If you wanted a bracket kit to use, I used the Artec kit to put an 8.8 under a TJ just a few weeks ago.

It's not for the faint of heart when it comes to welding. But it does remove all of the guesswork. It even allows you to retain the stock sway bar, and everything.

20161027_132949_zpswnxgyymt.jpg
20161104_165745_zpsbk8loq94.jpg

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
And X2, ditch the D35 before putting any money into it :D

E479516B-F397-4550-A3AF-80CFC61B78ED_zps3g2e0icn.jpeg

B2-Bomber

And X2, ditch the D35 before putting any money into it

The 8.8 is a good option, on par with dana44 strength, correct width, correct bolt pattern, if you get the right one it'll have disc brakes and a limited slip. . .not bad for a junkyard axle. And the Yukon chromoly axle shaft/ c-clip eliminator kit is under $400

mesha

By endurance we conquer
1- New rear axle TJ 44 will be easiest, but i like 8.8 swaps too. Actually, just do a crd 60:)
2- 4.56 gears front and rear
3- Beef up tie rod and do a high steer conversion.
4- If he plans to lock it do that now to save money in the long run on install.
5- Long arm or at very least adjustable short arms
6- SYE on the transfer case
7- Used 35s from KSL