2004 toyota sequioa help

Omgbecki

I could really use some advice. My girlfriend somehow ran her rear brakes down so far that the pad fell out of the bracket and the piston was actually worn down from braking. Guess I should see her more often. Lol. Anyways I replaced both rotors, pads and the bad caliper and got it all buttoned up I got fluid from the new caliper while bleeding but can't seem to get any pressure to the rear brakes. They aren't grabbing at all. Front brakes seem fine. Also I don't know what the Brake, VSC and Trac lights are about. Thought they'd go away after changing them. I keep things simple and try to stay away from my computer controlled stuff. Never had these type of issues before. Thanks for any helpful advice

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
VSC is side curtain air bags. You can push the button to turn them off if you are off road so they don't deploy when you are tilted. I have had lots of strange issues with brake bleeding. I have had success with pulling the bleed screw from the rear and letting the entire line drain, then start from scratch. Wish I was more help.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
When you bled did you end up doing all 4 corners? Is fluid level in the reservoir closer to full? (My taco doesn't like the level below half).

I have the same year sequoia, all the vsc and traction control does is kill power so I don't know if you're missing much ;) other thought is disconnect the battery and see if that does anything.

Omgbecki

When you bled did you end up doing all 4 corners? Is fluid level in the reservoir closer to full? (My taco doesn't like the level below half).

I have the same year sequoia, all the vsc and traction control does is kill power so I don't know if you're missing much ;) other thought is disconnect the battery and see if that does anything.
At first I tried just bleeding the one caliper I changed. I've had success with that in the past. Now going to do all 4. I've read a lot of forums and there are a bunch of different ideas. Like I've never heard of bleeding the brakes with the vehicle off. Is that true? I know those lights popped up when the brakes got really bad but considering I have no sensors back there I am confused on how to get them off. Just trying to make sure she is good to go

1969honda

Supporting Member
Any time I change pads I bleed both calipers on that axle, same goes for calipers. Once the system is open to air it should be purged after getting everything bolted back up to the hub.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
On an 04 you may be able to get a decent bleed on the whole system, but to get the best results likely requires a trip to the dealer to bleed with the abs active unless you have tech stream.

Omgbecki

I was able to figure it out. Instead of using the bleed valve I disconnected the line to the caliper until it got a good stream coming out. Then I made sure the caliper was bled as well. Brakes are good now and lights are off. Thanks for all the suggestions.