Report 2010 Old School Rock Crawl - MountainYoats 4x4 Style

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Day 1

Course #1

After assessing the Legends line Thursday night, we decided that we should attempt the Unlimited line mainly because our steering and wheelbase would not handle the extreme right turn. OE power steering and 37" sticky Trepadors made for a hard time turning. The unlimited line took on a 5' wall with a cone to the right and a ledge jutting out from the left. The cone placement would be difficult for full width guys, but not us and our narrow Toyota axles. The idea was to hammer down up the wall, and shoot straight out the other side, taking one or two cones if we had to. We figured we'd still be ahead with a low score via the -15 from running the Unlimited line.

We watched as the Jeep ahead of us got stuck in the hairpin turn, axles articulated and unable to pull itself through the rest of the course he timed out and had to get craned out. This proved our plan; if the short wheelbase Jeep with hydro steering got killed, we stood no chance on the Limited line.

Our turn. We get through the gate and size up the wall. Rob crawls the ledge to the left and gets a bit off camber to the passenger side. A few more tries of this, trying to match just the right bump to avoid bouncing too far to the passenger side to avoid the cone.. No avail, we slide over into the cone. That allows us to take a quick back to reposition and use the downed cone to our advantage. Up the wall no problem with a bit of throttle. Rob drops the driver tire down into a 3-4' crack as the passenger tire gains traction up another wall. I'm guiding Rob into this ravine in an attempt to have the truck straddle the gap. Works like a charm as Rob makes quick work of the obstacle and glides through the end gates.

Course #1: 6 points.

A very serious and determined Rob Flandro
6822544c.jpg

Course #2

We watched for an hour or so as Legends rigs took on the offset bouldery approach to a sideways route up a 10' wall. Many broke drive lines, blew tire beads, and took up a lot of time trying to conquer this first obstacle. Rob and I devised a plan that involved taking the far left cone and walking right up the wall. This worked after the 4th or 5th attempt. It's deceiving to watch and plan, then actually get on the wall and realise how far your calculations were off. The line we chose from watching was very diagonal across the wall and kept forcing the rear of the truck into the wet boulders. We took a cone on the far driver side to gain a better position on the wall and Rob skinny petaled the 4 banger up the wall - taking 2 more cones. We should've had a better plan for once over the wall, but we didn't. Instead of one big back, we did two or three little backs to get lined up to come back up over the wall. Finally in position Rob walks the truck up the wall, down the other side and out the finish gates. We ended up hitting 3-4 cones and had several backs, so I was awaiting to hear that we pointed out. As it turns out, there was a judging error and the judges were lenient with our run for that - giving us on of the cones. So, with progression points added up and tallied we received a score of 26 points. Not bad for how crappy we ran that one, and compared to those that had run it so far.

Course #2: 26 points.

Stratton Graves blows a bead on #2
278d5313.jpg

Course #3

Once again we waited for our turn at the next course, watching as rig after rig timed out on the giant concrete tubes and boulders covered in mud from previous angry tires that couldn't find traction. We decided to move a number of rocks into the bigger muddy pits now dug by those before us, in an attempt to add traction where there wasn't any. Stratton Graves was up before us and showed what had to be done - once halfway through the obstacle as much horsepower as you could throw down needed to be dispatched to get you the rest the way through. We used that trick the best we could. Rob chose one boulder about 3' in diameter for me to reposition about 2 feet to the left so that our differential didn't get hung up. I get the rock moved, and Robby rolls in for the kill. In an instant he gets to the trouble spot and floors it, popping the truck up and over the last large concrete tube. If I remember right, one cone was taken during the attack. After a quick moment of shock about how fast we weaseled through, I direct Rob up the next section of rocks and cones. Those were no real issue, and we were on to the teeter totter in no time. After a quick readjustment of the totter, We were up and over and out the finish gates. What a rush, as I was expecting to get hung up in the boulders and tube section.

Course #3: 12 points.

The truck sits and waits for more punishment on Course #4
ec4803b0.jpg

Course #4

Course 4 claimed to be quite difficult last year, and this year was no exception. The difference this time is that teams could attempt to have the spotter ride along and get -15 points. Of course, we chose to do this cause why wouldn't you? We got through the first section of giant ledges and boulders without much issue, and headed up the hillside that is littered with random rocks. Our wheelbase and OE steering played into how well we would get this section done without taking all the cones. Rob tried a rear dig or three which helped little but did help some, but we took a few cones in the process of trying to make the rough right hand turn while negotiating all the giant rocks and carefully placed cones. Once we hit the cone at our passenger side rear tire we took advantage and bumped down the rest of the course and out the finish gates.

Course #4: 23 points.

We were then done for the day and standing at 80 points in 4th place, averaging 20 points per course. Not too bad considering the rigs that were leading in Legends.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Day 2

Course #5

We had watched trucks in Legends class get eaten alive all day, and after watching several rigs on #5 and talking with Tyler from CrawlerReady who had done #5 earlier in the day, we came up with a game plan. Our plan on the Legend line would be to take a cone off to the passenger side to keep us from getting high centered like everyone else. This is where other teams made their first, and usually most costly mistake. They would get stuck for several minutes - burning up their alotted time. After taking the cone we would straddle the massive crack and head over the top of the rock formation to where the truck drops 12+ feet into a mini canyon and our line going to the left. The way the cones were set, Craig obviously wanted everyone's rigs to kiss the giant island rock with their grilles. Tyler had mentioned that this is where most people got denied due to front bumpers digging into the rock and making it tough to reposition their front end over to the left where it needed to be. Our disadvantage would once again be our combination of lacking hydro assist steering and running sticky compound tires in a super tight situation. Our advantage however is that we had no front bumper protruding from the truck to hang us up, as the farthest forward part of the truck is the spring hanger and the grille.

At the last second we chose to attempt the Unlimited line, which was an 8-10' verticle wall. We thought that if we could get up that wall we'd have a far greater chance of successfully completing the course as far as our steering was concerned, plus the bonus points we'd get would offset any cones we might take out. We gave it about 2 minutes on the big wall of the Unlimited line. Beat but not defeated, we made the call to move on to the Legends line as planned before. Easy business as Rob took the passenger side cone, and walked up the crack with no issues. No time lost there. I directed Rob down into the mini canyon, and as predicted the spring hanger and grille went straight into the big rock island that stood in our way. I radioed to Rob to engage the rear dig to bring the ass end more to the passenger side. This worked out awesome to get the truck in position to back it halfway up the steep grade, then turn hard driver into the canyon crack. The sticky Trepadors climb the sides of walls as though it were a paved road, up and out the truck crawls moving through the next set of gates. Too much to the passenger side out of the canyon had the truck nearly standing on the drivers door. Not wanting to tip completely over and have to ride it out, which could affect our time, Rob took a back hard driver side and righted the truck back over. Skinny petalled it all the way through the finish gates. We made it, and if I do say so, we made it look pretty easy. Not only did we burn up about 2 minutes attempting the Unlimited line, we got all the way through the Lengends line and finished with about 2 minutes to spare. We were cookin through that course.

Course #5 12 points.

Sizing up Course #5 and coming up with our plan to conquer the Unlimited line.
delta20051510200302028Small29.jpg

Attempting the Unlimited Line on Course #5.. Access - DENIED.
delta20051510200332028Small29.jpg

Course #6

We had seen 6 be rough on lots of rigs, and we knew we were in for a ride with this course. The main obstacle on this course is that the crack you straddle while climbing up gets narrower, squeezing your front end as you climb. If you get sideways, you're in for a world of hurt. Needless to say, we found ourselves in a world of hurt. The rig was nearly on the passenger side and the sticky tires were being pulled into the right side of the grippy wall like it had it's own gravitational pull for Trepador tires. The driver rear tire was a good 4-5 feet air born hovering over the course boundry flags as Rob tried to manuever the truck into a better position to move forward. As he came back down, the flags got caught around the axle and we got instantly DQ'd. Sucks, but it is what it is. Here's where we let the stupidity take over. Rob wanted to see if he could still get up the squeeze crack. This time instead of finesse and low gears, we put a request into the 2.4 liters of raging Japanese weaponry for some locked and loaded-hammer down bring the rain style ranging 4 banger throttle action. It was sweet until something exploded, usual story. We then needed the crane to come and limp our sorry butts back to our trailer to replace the now destroyed rear transfer case.

The t-case we had required some custom work to get functional, which included cutting down allen wrenches and welding internal parts in the case to get to work. Thanks for nothing Spunky! You D-bag.. (long story).. With time running out, we kept in close contact with Bear to make sure he waited as long as possible for us to run his course (#7). At the 11th hour, as the announcements were being made to get the KOH race underway, we fired up the truck and hauled ass over to Course #7. Bear is the man for sticking around for us despite the other judge who tried to DQ us right on the spot.. You know who you are - I thought we were buddies ;). The main official on Course #8 was alos very happy to put her cones back out and let us run #8. Very cool volunteers!

Course #6 34 points. OUCH!

55b4259d.jpg

6d5f1e78.jpg

Course #7

I can't say enough how awesome of Bear and his dad it was to wait for us to be able to run course #7. This was another spotter ride, so I hopped in and strapped up. Through the gate, up the wall, and perched up top we got a bit crooked. As Rob inched forward knowing that there's a massive drop to the passenger side, I looked over to see our front right tire just about to drop off of the ledge. We watched a rig roll pretty hard off of the exact same spot earlier, and I didn't quite want to copy them. I let Rob know where we were at on my side, he backed up and got the tires turned enough to skirt passed the ledge. Straight down the other side we went, missing the cones. Burn over to our right and line up for a wierd line through a sort of 'S' ravine about 4 feet tall, and up and over a 4 foot ledge at a wierd angle. We ended up taking a cone and hoping up over the ledge. Rob throttled out of the end gates and kept on going straight to course #8.

Course #7: 6 points!

Top of the obstacle on Course #7
IMG_2828.jpg

Course #8

I hopped out of the truck, took off my helmet, put my radio on, and guided Rob into the first gates. He put his passenger tire up high on a rock that rejected him and dropped him down onto a big enough rock to high center and pin the front axle from any progress. With the rear tires just digging holes in the soft gravel/dirt, there was nowhere to go. The passenger hub even decided to jump ship and blew off the axle. Sucks, but atleast we collected a 6 on course 7, and got a few points for course 8.

That was it for us. We gave it our best! Damn proud of how we competed - minus the stunt on Course 6 that sent us wrenching under pressure. But that definately added to teh awesomeness of the overall event for us. Overcoming a large obstacle of our own like that.

Course #8: 38 points.

Final standings, we came in at 7th place with 174 points. Running against some full buggies i'd say our truggy did pretty damn well all things considered!

-Jason

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Rob in the mini KOH after the crawl...

DSC_3622.jpg

DSC_3627.jpg

Rob gettin into Team Fred's personal space and sending them into a mud pit...
DSC_3612.jpg

Vengeful V8 fury!
DSC_3614.jpg

Buckin Bronco...
DSC_3619.jpg

DSC_3442.jpg

Chasing down Stratton Graves.
DSC_3447.jpg