2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo

ID Bronco

I need some quick advice. I may pick up a 2011 GC for my kids. Yes, too nice for kids but the price is right. It only has the Quadra track I all time 4x4 system, so no off road in this one. It's only meant to be a commuter for the kids and the adults when needed. Kind of an extra car for young drivers. This would also keep me from modifying it.

So, is that system solid for it's intended use? Snowy roads and dirt occasionally?

What about the 3.6 motor? Problems?

Any help you can give me in the next 24 hours is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm not sure if the head gasket issues in the Pentastar affected those years of Grand Cherokee, but the 2012 and some 2013 Wranglers were known for terrible head gasket problems.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We've had 3 of the WK2 (2011-current) Grand Cherokees now. We're huge fans. The 3.6 and 5 speed auto are pretty fantastic, and the head issue doesn't seem to be a problem in the Grand Cherokee engine.

We bought our third WK2 last month. A 2018 Trailhawk with the Hemi. These are great in the snow and the best road trip vehicle I've ever had.

Also, I have a small lift for that model, if you're interested. Mine has the Quadra-Lift system and it won't work with that.

You can fit any JK OEM wheel and tire package on the WK2, including Sahara and Rubicon trim. That makes for really cheap tire and wheel replacement.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
The 2011 wrangler had an issue with the head casting on the 3.6l. I believe that there was a recall that fixed it and the newer model years have had much fewer problems. The oil cooler (in the cam valley) is plastic and is known to crack and leak as well - will show as an oil leak down the rear of the engine.

The 2011 wrangler had an issue with the head casting on the 3.6l. I believe that there was a recall that fixed it and the newer model years have had much fewer problems. The oil cooler (in the cam valley) is plastic and is known to crack and leak as well - will show as an oil leak down the rear of the engine.
The 2011 Wranglers had a 3.8l engine. The 2012 was the start of the 3.6 Pentstar in the Wranglers. 2011 was the introduction of the 3.6 to the Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler line up though, not the Wranger.

RockChucker

We've had 3 of the WK2 (2011-current) Grand Cherokees now. We're huge fans. The 3.6 and 5 speed auto are pretty fantastic, and the head issue doesn't seem to be a problem in the Grand Cherokee engine.

We bought our third WK2 last month. A 2018 Trailhawk with the Hemi. These are great in the snow and the best road trip vehicle I've ever had.

Also, I have a small lift for that model, if you're interested. Mine has the Quadra-Lift system and it won't work with that.

You can fit any JK OEM wheel and tire package on the WK2, including Sahara and Rubicon trim. That makes for really cheap tire and wheel replacement.
I tried to fit 17s on our WK2 (2014 summit with hemi) and it was a definite no go. Ended up with 18s off a gladiator because I wanted a tire with a backbone and 20s have a terrible selection in the OEM size. Apparently all hemi models have an HD brake package. But like has been said, it is a great vehicle. Super comfortable for road trips. You wouldn't think it was built by the same chrysler that build the ZJ, WJ, WK, TJ, etc...build quality is much much better.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Looks like I was off by a year for the wrangler, but the fact of the left cylinder head issue is what matters (on all models). It affected 2011-2013 3.6L years, although it probably wasn't the full year of 2013 when FCA used a different head.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The 3.6 head issue is covered under a factory warranty. I wouldn't worry about it. My 2012 Wrangler had it replaced at about 36k miles. None of my WK2's experienced it.