2014 camping

skeptic

To go. I'd like to find a new area or two, AF is getting too populated. I'd love to take a multi-day trip, light wheeling or trail ride during the day with a new camp site each night.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
If I can get 20 nights camping this summer, that would be a major success. I almost dont care where. I know some will be in Moab, others will be on the Hole in the Rock Road, and if I can hook up with the right group, maybe some nights on the Hole in the Rock trail.

DAA

The only camping I have actually scheduled so far for 2014 is backpacking Salt Creek and a family trip to Yellowstone.

Whatever else happens, happens. I'm sure I'll get out and camp a few more times for the year.

- DAA

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

I'd be curious to know how you liked that trip, I've hiked a fair ways up Dry Creek but never made it to the divide. I've heard stories about guys taking dirtbikes up over the top of that and down into the mines on the Deer Creek (Silver Lake Flat) side of the drainage and as far as we hiked on the Dry Creek side it was certainly possible in fact barring the down trees and some minor sluffs it could be driven in a 4x4. There are some Dry Creek mines as well as some on the Deer Creek side that I really need to visit.

As for my camping trips. I've spent a considerable amount of time refining some of time as of recent refining my AF Canyon research and I need to spend a solid week up there or better yet a few long weekends spread apart so I can be more productive. Other camping? The regulars for the year which are more 'camping' focused than wheeling i.e. Relic Run, the new Retro Ramble, Floatapalooza (Swell Float Trip) and family reunion camping at the Engh homestead in northern Nevada. I'd like to do a Henry's hiking trip as well as the La Sals but I need to get into shape :D

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I went up Dry Creek a few weeks ago, and it's all singletrack now. There was a big mud slide in the past month or two and it took out a good section of the lower part of the trail. I could see a dirt bike getting up there no problem right now, but there's no way a 4x4 could make it. Maybe a quad, but that'd be pushing it. Times have sure changed, they don't even allow mountain bikes up there anymore.

I'll be sure to take pics once I do it.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I've been dialing in my 2014 plans the past few days. Hoping to knock out a few more items off my motorsports bucket list. Pikes Peak International Hill Climb and the USGP are two I'm hoping to see this year. After camping at the Bathurst 1000 this year, I really enjoy the idea of camping at the event. Kinda add's to the experience, so I'll probably camp at both of those.
As far as wheeling/camping, Retro Ramble and Relic Run for sure. Hoping to make Floatapalooza this year since I missed last year. I've been trying to make it back to the Arizona Strip for a few years now, and I've got it on my list for 2014, so we'll see. I'm planning on making a return to EJS for the first time in five years, probably try to knock out one of the RR4W's overnighters there. And of course, FYTO6 next December.

jentzschman

I want to do King's peak, Timp, and Mt Nebo.

King's as a 3 day trip and Timp/Nebo would be fun as an overnighter.

I know Timp and Nebo are not too difficult, but non the less I want to do them.

Last edited:

ozzy702

I want to do King's peak, Timp, and Mt Nebo.

King's as a 3 day trip and Timp/Nebo would be fun as an overnighter.

I know Timp and Nevo are not difficult at all, but non the less I want to do them.

I would love to do all three. I want to hit up the wind rivers range and the sawtooths but those will probably have to wait unit 2015.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
My kids have been asking for goblin valley..
No specific other plans. But hopefully a LOT more than this year. A new rental property and a new personal home really took away our summer. :(
This year will be camping overload!

ozzy702

Same here, those two look great. Do the sawtooths have grizzly bears?

No grizzly bears at this time. There were talks about reintroducing them like they did with the wolves in the 90's but for now only black bears, wolves, cougars and moose to worry about. Of the bunch the moose are probably the most dangerous statistically. We were high enough in elevation that we didn't see wildlife other than small rodents, birds of prey and a few dear at start of the trail down around 6000ft.

Edit: and the worst by far.... mosquitoes! They are horrible in the mid summer. By September they've mostly died off. Any trips before July will be met with snow and heavy run-off. The temperatures are crazy in the sawtooths. In one day it could be in the teens in the morning and then the 90's during the day. You really have to be prepared for anything. We had fairly mild weather, only dropping into the high 20's at elevation and in the low 70's during the day.

Last edited: