2014 or newer GMC Sierra 1500

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
So I currently have an old 1995 Ford F-250 with the 7.5L 460. It has always towed my Jeep and travel trailer with no problems, but I am looking to upgrade to a newer truck. Before anyone says it, I do not want to buy a 2500 3/4 ton. I tow less than 8 times a year and when I do I am used to driving 65 mph in the ford because he doesn't like to get up and go much anymore :) So with that being said, I have been in the market for a 2014-2017 GMC Sierra SLT or Denali pickup. I would prefer to have the 6.2L over the 5.3L but I am having a hard time finding one. Finding one with the max tow package has been ridiculous and I can never seem to find one. So I decided to come here and see if any of you have any experience with the Chevy or GMC 1500 with either the 5.3 or 6.2?

For the small amount of towing I do, would a half ton be a crazy idea? Have you noticed that the newer 1/2 ton pickups tow a lot more than they used to?

I am looking for your honest opinions, would a newer 1/2 ton tow as well or better than my old ford?

rholbrook

I love my Eco-Boost for towing but they are pricey even used but there is a reason for that. How big is your trailer? An equalizer hitch makes towing better anyway and is always mentioned in threads like this. I have a niche for finding stuff on the ole inter-web. I could probably find you something out of state. What are your requirements?

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
I love my Eco-Boost for towing but they are pricey even used but there is a reason for that. How big is your trailer? An equalizer hitch makes towing better anyway and is always mentioned in threads like this. I have a niche for finding stuff on the ole inter-web. I could probably find you something out of state. What are your requirements?

How you doing man, it's been a while. The Travel trailer I pull with the F-250 is actually my Father In Laws trailer, why buy my own when he will fork the bill for everything :rofl: The only problem is he bought a 27' trailer with 1 decent size pop-out. I believe it weighs 6k but I need to double check. I do have an equalizer hitch so I have that covered. I am just hoping that I can lug this thing up to Jackson Hole so I can go river running in July, that is the only time I pull it. I just don't want to be that idiot on the road with a truck that is way too small.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I hate to show you this link, because I want this truck myself. I went and drove it a few months ago. It is basically perfect for towing in the 8-10k range which is right where my boat is. They low balled me on my trade which is why I walked away from it. These truck are hard to find. The GMC version is even harder to find.
The guy told me he doesn't keep his inventory over 6 months. If they don't sell then they go to auction. I'm sure he has to be pushing 6 months now. He dropped the price 2k since I saw it. If it's about to go to auction it might be the time to work a deal.

Shoot, maybe I better head back over there. :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have no input as far as the 1500 chev goes, but I tow with a 2007 F150 and it's comfy with plenty of power for the loads I carry. I get amused when I see a F350 towing a razr next to me.

For reference, I estimate my buggy to be sub or even 4k and the trailer is at least 2k.

I used to daily and tow with a ram 2500 w/ cummins. Like I said, for what I need the 1/2 ton does great.

rholbrook

How you doing man, it's been a while. The Travel trailer I pull with the F-250 is actually my Father In Laws trailer, why buy my own when he will fork the bill for everything :rofl: The only problem is he bought a 27' trailer with 1 decent size pop-out. I believe it weighs 6k but I need to double check. I do have an equalizer hitch so I have that covered. I am just hoping that I can lug this thing up to Jackson Hole so I can go river running in July, that is the only time I pull it. I just don't want to be that idiot on the road with a truck that is way too small.
What is your budget? I know as little as possible but what is your high?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I tow less than 8 times a year and when I do I am used to driving 65 mph in the ford because he doesn't like to get up and go much anymore

This statement implies you are focusing on engine power when you think about towing.

I just don't want to be that idiot on the road with a truck that is way too small.

Again, this remark seems to focus on engine power. Your tow rig's output is a factor, of course. However, it is perhaps the least critical component when selecting a tow rig.

It happens all the time. When thinking about towing, one of the first questions people often vocalize is, "how fast can this thing pull my trailer up Parley's Canyon???" (or whatever). Instead, they ought to be asking much more important questions, such as:

• How well can the suspension handle the tongue weight?
  • How well can the suspension control the load of the trailer, especially during emergency maneuvers?
  • How well can the brakes control and stop the entire rig, especially during emergency maneuvers?
  • How well can the engine cooling system reject the extra heat from the added load on the engine?
  • How well can the transmission cooling system reject the extra heat from the added load on the transmission?

When it comes to safe, reliable towing, all of these considerations are much more critical than the amount of surplus horsepower you'll have under foot. This is why they call then heavy duty trucks--everything mentioned above is upgraded to more safely handle large loads. This is why I've always felt better using a 2500 truck with a gasoline engine rather than any half ton. The diesel engine might be a bit of unnecessary overkill, but all the other upgrades are definitely not.

Have you noticed that the newer 1/2 ton pickups tow a lot more than they used to?

Half ton trucks have gradually gotten stronger over the years, yes. (But so have heavy duty trucks. ;) ) Most beefed-up modern half tons are rated for well over 6000 pounds, which is great (at least on paper). But remember: you'll want to leave some reserve capacity for dealing with hills and mountains. For that reason, I am still leery of suggesting you go half ton. Maybe I'm stuck in my old school ways of thinking.

At the very least, please consider my points above before making your decision.

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
This statement implies you are focusing on engine power when you think about towing.

Again, this remark seems to focus on engine power. Your tow rig's output is a factor, of course. However, it is perhaps the least critical component when selecting a tow rig.

It happens all the time. When thinking about towing, one of the first questions people often vocalize is, "how fast can this thing pull my trailer up Parley's Canyon???" (or whatever). Instead, they ought to be asking much more important questions, such as:

• How well can the suspension control the load of the trailer, especially during emergency maneuvers?
  • How well can the brakes control and stop the entire rig, especially during emergency maneuvers?
  • How well can the engine cooling system reject the extra heat from the added load on the engine?
  • How well can the transmission cooling system reject the extra heat from the added load on the transmission?

When it comes to safe, reliable towing, all of these considerations are much more critical than the amount of surplus horsepower you'll have under foot. This is why they call then heavy duty trucks--everything mentioned above is upgraded to more safely handle large loads. This is why I've always felt better using a 2500 truck with a gasoline engine rather than any half ton. The diesel engine might be a bit of unnecessary overkill, but all the other upgrades are definitely not.

Half ton trucks have gradually gotten stronger over the years, yes. (But so have heavy duty trucks. ;) ) Most beefed-up modern half tons are rated for well over 6000 pounds, which is great (at least on paper). But remember: you'll want to leave some reserve capacity for dealing with hills and mountains. For that reason, I am still leery of suggesting you go half ton. Maybe I'm stuck in my old school ways of thinking.

Thanks for the detailed reply. As for your last statement, you can guarantee I will consider this, in fact, I have been considering most the stuff you pointed out for well over 6 months, thus the reason I have not made a purchase yet :)
Thanks again

Caleb

I used to tow a 10K pound camp trailer with my Tundra, zero issues. I towed many different sized loads with my Raptor (F150), suspension was soft but power-wise and control there were zero issues. For 6000# I wouldn't think twice about getting a modern 1/2T truck. I think if you use a good weight distribution hitch, even the 5.3L would be more than sufficient powerwise and the rest of the truck in either should handle a load of that size without any problems as well.

That trailer has two large slide-outs. I did use a weight distribution hitch and airbags with ~5-8psi in them, but it did great.
CSC_3760.jpg

Corban_White

These are great points and should always be considered. What everyone needs to remember is a an older HD truck has the frame and brakes to go with the motor. I did some quick searching and it depends greatly on options but in general my 2012 f150 has approximately double the towing capacity of a 1995 f-250. The definition of HD has changed greatly over the years. I've towed a mini excavator several times with my grandpa's GMC 3500 with the 8.1 vortec (because the rental place requires a HD truck to take that load) and I've towed the same load with my dad's tundra and my f-150 and they are both superior to the 99 one ton in every way. Frame, brakes, suspension, steering and motor. My .02.

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
My search has come to an end, 2 nights ago I found the truck I had been looking for, and it was only 10 minutes away! :)
I was lucky enough to find a 2015 Chevy with the 6.2l and max tow package with only 18,000 miles. Whoever had this truck before me I must thank them, it is in amazing condition, the stock screen cover is still on the radio :rofl:
I appreciate everyone's input and time that you spent to share your knowledge with me. Once I hook up the trailer and drag it around I will let everyone know how it goes.

If anyone is looking for a 1995Ford F-250 7.5l with 106,000 miles let me know, I need to sell a few vehicles to clear out the garage :)