2014 Ram 3500 6.7l

Toad

I am considering replacing my 7.3 superduty with a newer Cummins. Truck is a 68rfe truck. What issues can I expect with this truck. I have read about VGT turbo issues. Some 68rfe issues. I think most of those are issues come from tuned trucks. I would do a trans tune it.

So what should I expect?

boogie_4wheel

My parents have a '14 dually with the 68RFE, Laramie Limited. Used 75% for towing 17k-22k combined weight. Has approx 60k on it now.

The transmission has been flawless. The turbo was replaced under warranty because of internal variable geometry failure (I don't remember the details). My dad now complains of reduced exhaust braking ability but Dodge swears it is within tolerance.

The was a couple recalls over the years, one of those being emissions related. It has been a good truck so far. Comfortable truck, quiet interior that has remained tight, handles a heavy trailer well (the larger one has a 4200lb pin weight).

leorn

reset
I just replaced the 68 in my 07 ~230k. No idea if it was original. It was not cheap. I still trust my nv4500 in the 99 to do my heaviest loads. Mind you I tow abnormally heavy. 99 is registered to 34k. I would have a trans temp gauge on the 68 for sure. It was eye opening for me. Might have saved the original trans.

I do love the double overdrive. It's a joy to drive on the freeway. I tow 14-15k regularly with the 68, but I feel like that's my ceiling. More would probably be fine without hills.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The 68 will treat you good as long as you treat it good. Keep clean fluid in it and it will last along time. With that said, what do you plan to tow with the truck?

Here is an overview of the history on my truck but more details of how it sits now can be found HERE. I bought the truck with 29k on it and deleted everything by the time it had 35k on it. It has spent most of it's time towing an 18k pound toy hauler. I did a trans tune when I deleted it.

I would never say that i abused the tranny but I definitely never babied it. It held up very well until I added the compound turbo set up. Within 10k miles of doing that it started to show signs of problems to come. At this point the tranny had 128k miles on it of which 80% of it was heavy use. When I rebuilt it I did a stage 3 Suncoast build.......not cheap but will give me a tranny that is overbuilt for what I use it for.