2017 NPLD - RME @ The Snakes

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Date: Saturday, September 30, 2017

Starting Time: 9 AM

Cleanup time frame: Should be done by 2 - 3 PM.

Meeting Location: Snakes Parking area - Google Maps link - https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2482056,-112.2072826,1338m/data=!3m1!1e3

For this years National Public Lands Day, we're going to work on our adopted trails out at 5 Mile Pass... the Snakes, Rattlesnake and Constrictor! The plan for NPLD consists of 3 different goals.

1- Block off unnecessary bypasses and extra routes (using natural deadfall).

2- Restore the Rattlesnake sign at the beginning of the trail (Need to determine what materials & tools we'll need).

3- Clean up any garbage along the way.

4- Finish cementing the Constrictor sign base.

We will split up into 2-3 groups to cover the different projects, hoping to have around 10-20 people total for the needed work.

Please arrive on time. It would be wise to wear boots, jeans and bring work gloves. Garbage bags will be provided, we will have to pack out the trash! Bring lunch/drinks/snacks, too!

RogueJeepr

Here!
Im down to do the sign restoration again.
We can do donations for sign materials through PayPal.(Email) jpr4lfe@hotmail.com

Already have a game plan on how to tackle the sign. May even stay the previous night to get a head start on it.

Are we gonna finish the concrete on the constrictor sign ?
Maybe we can all write our names in it (helpers/donaters) . [emoji1]

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Im down to do the sign restoration again.
We can do donations for sign materials through PayPal.(Email) jpr4lfe@hotmail.com

Already have a game plan on how to tackle the sign. May even stay the previous night to get a head start on it.

Are we gonna finish the concrete on the constrictor sign ?
Maybe we can all write our names in it (helpers/donaters) . [emoji1]

As you were so involved in the Constrictor sign re-install, I'd love to have your help with the Rattlesnake sign restoration.

I would prefer that we work together as a group, at the same time, with the sign restoration rather than one guy tackle it solo. I have a 110v outlet in my Jeep, it would be quite easy to bring my Dewalt grinder with a wire wheel to make quick cleanup work of stripping the old paint and rust. I just have to make sure the Jeep will run the grinder first, if not I may pickup a battery-powered grinder and a couple extra batteries.

Let me know what costs we have for materials and RME will cover it. If we need more paint, etc, etc RME will buy it all. I don't think we'll need too much.

We can add finishing the cement job to the Constrictor sign to the list... what did we decide it would take, 2 more bags or so?

Greg

Admin
I'll bring a generator. Maybe a welder too, if you think it might be needed.

A generator would be great, that way we'd have guaranteed power and make the work easier! I don't think we'll need a welder, when we looked at it last time the sign just needed to be stripped, rust removed and repainted. There was one bullet hole that penetrated the sign, but I don't think we need to worry about welding it back up.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Probably dosent need to be taken down to metal. Just the rust knocked off and a good scuff.

RockChucker

Top line in the first post.... :rofl: ....Sept 30th!

Must be a Tapatalk thing. It doesn't show a date.
dcbb751c17c09918932df3b90ce0f82c.png

RogueJeepr

Here!
I'll be definitely camping the night before.
What im concerned about is paint drying time.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm bringing my generator, grinder w/ wire wheel and flap disks, heat gun (to accelerate drying time between coats), and extension cords. What else do we think we'll need?

Greg

Admin
I'm bringing my generator, grinder w/ wire wheel and flap disks, heat gun (to accelerate drying time between coats), and extension cords. What else do we think we'll need?

That would be great if you can bring the grinder & other related tools! I believe that RogueJeepr is going to bring the paint supplies. I can't think of anything else we'll need...

I'm going to bring a couple bags of concrete, 5-10 gallons of water and a container to mix it all in... for the Constrictor sign.

I will bring up a couple boxes of trash bags, for garbage. We will have to haul the garbage out, no dumpster this year.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Greg,
I am planning on coming out in the early afternoon, I have some commitments in the morning.

I will have the tow rig to help bring garbage out.

Post up whatever else is needed.

Thanks for orgainzing this.

Greg

Admin
Greg,
I am planning on coming out in the early afternoon, I have some commitments in the morning.

I will have the tow rig to help bring garbage out.

Post up whatever else is needed.

Thanks for orgainzing this.

It would be great to see you out there Nick! Our groups will probably be spread out on both trails, all working on the different projects. See you out there!

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I will try to make it but I have two dead Jeeps at my place. One is an easy fix but the main project is swapping a motor for my nephew. He wrecked one of their two cars and needs to get his Jeep back on the road ASAP.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Yeah I got the paint supplies.
I thought I had some paint leftover from Constrictor but wouldn't spray. I'll pick up some white and brown .

Since my motor mounts are toast, I decided not to bring the teardrop and camp.
See ya there in the morning.

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
ad3a856296aa73e51466c741c89d30b0.jpg

These lil foam rollers should be perfect for the brown paint and not get any on the white lettering.
Already tested.

Last edited: