2018 Delta Classic - Debrief

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
So the inaugural Delta Classic Rock Crawl is in the books! Did you attend? Did you spectate? Did you compete? How do you think the new format was?

Personally, it was my first time competing as a driver. I had a blast. One thing that made my weekend a bit chaotic was the grouping; I drove in Stock Class, but Spotted in Legend, so I was running back and forth, and at a few times, had to be on both courses at the same time.
Otherwise, I thought it went great.

Rich and Shelly, along with all the other staff, judges, and volunteers: thank you for all you did to make this the success that it was. Can't wait for next year!

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Hi Johnny, I was spotting for Steve in the Yellow Bronco.

I am trying to put a name/face with RME sign on, which rig were you driving?

Overall it was a really fun weekend. It was good to see old friends and meet some new ones.

I think most of the organizational issues will work themselves out with time. Rich and Shelly did a great job jumping into things. I am trying to remember the guy who was working with Rich who set the courses. He was super nice too.

I do think a parade lap on the rock cross would save some tail gates, there were several races who weren't sure of the course lay out near the rock section...

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
if they want to increase the # of competitors next year they need to advertise a Full Bodied JK/JL class.

Something just a little bit lighter that what we ran. (The courses were tight for a 93" TJ, let alone for 115" JK)

Skip the rocker panel smashing fender rubbing horse shoe of S3, and let everyone bring there JKs and JLs on 35"-37"-40" tires out to play. I think they would have a blast but focus more on strategy then potential body damage...

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I enjoyed it. Will probably be back next year. Learned a lot and had fun playing around. Felt we could have been competitive if not for some stupid things. Need to maybe change some rules on Stock class. I think body should be allowed to lean over cones and cones are only dead if hit with slider or tire or body. Yes. Courses were very tight. Yeah. Pre lap would have saved my tailgait as we were not on the same line as side by sides and it would have been fun to race a little longer or against more people. It was also funny a dedicated race truck was my only competition in Stock class. That accident cost me all my race winnings to replace my tailgate.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Well... a JK class has been done before, and people don't really show up for it... anywhere, probably because awesome trail rigs don't always make great comp rigs...
THAT SAID!!!, WERock has been, and remains open to run a class if people DO show up. So that's definitely something that can be discussed for next year, with some commitments from driver's or something like that.

This year was kind of "see what happens, see how it goes" kind of deal, some tweaks will be made to keep things as they used to be back when everyone was having a great time, nice and fun, no pressure. :D So feel free to make suggestions.

The judging is always kind of... well, let me rephrase, because I think volunteer judges do a pretty good job. BUT, sometimes interpretations of things like "plane of cone" and whatnot can be misconstrued. As a former judge, I'd say ask for a time out and rule clarification from a marshal, if there's any kind of conflict.

As an announcer, and former... course advisor? for the rock race, I would like to see some more rocks in the race. :D

Courses were set this year by Joel Moranton, his first courses ever. He learned a bunch about how that worked once cars got on course, and will likely make some tweaks in the future. Nothing wrong with his courses, but you just get better at things like that the more you do them.

OVERALL, I was pretty happy with how things went. I would like to see Dusty Sexton there next year... and some more promotion prior to the event, but again, this was kind of a look-see year. :D Tone felt about right, nice good time.

anyway

if they want to increase the # of competitors next year they need to advertise a Full Bodied JK/JL class.

Something just a little bit lighter that what we ran. (The courses were tight for a 93" TJ, let alone for 115" JK)

Skip the rocker panel smashing fender rubbing horse shoe of S3, and let everyone bring there JKs and JLs on 35"-37"-40" tires out to play. I think they would have a blast but focus more on strategy then potential body damage...

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
I didn’t always agree with the calls made by the judge, but i did appreciate that he moved with our group. So I knew each competitor was being held to the same calls on each course, and so the rules were consistent on each course

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I am sure there were missed calls or whatever and that happened and is what it is. Just with full bodies rigs and all the body there is that is one rule I'd like to see different in the future. Over all had fun and put on a good show and had LOTs more fun in the race then I thought I would. Was really nervous but glad I did it. It was an adrenaline rush.

Agility Customs

Vendor
They had a JK class for 2 years and there were 4 competitors the first year and 3 the second year. Both first place trophies are in my garage... :D

The stock courses were overly easy this year compared to the past years and that seemed to be the case across the board.

Rich and Shelley run a top notch event we just need to help them promote it and get the spectators to come out.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
to a point, i think that stock class lines should be on the "easier" side. not paved, with 25' wide gates, but something that a trail rig can navigate safely. you wont get new comers to the sport if the first courses they run destroy their rigs, or they point out every course.

Bart

I agree with Dan. As always I would like to see a modified stock class for full bodied rigs that don't meet the stock restrictions. With that said, anything longer than 100" wheel base didn't stand much of a chance out there. The courses were tight and the boundaries were very tight. Still had a lot of fun spotting for GreenJeep Dave and seeing a lot of friends out there.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
it was great to see you out there Bart. And Dave had a rough first day, but im glad he was able to get back out for day two. That rock limo of his was never built to be a cone-dodger, but its one of my favorite rigs to see out there. and Dave always has such a good attitude about this comp. Its not always about winning.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I thought the stock lines were really easy this year. The only one I saw that could have been omitted was the big pivot rock but if people don’t care as everybody seems to think, they could skip that course. I see what I can only describe as people talking out of both sides of their mouths-
Oh my goodness the courses are just too hard for me to handle...
But wait, the comp is just for fun anyways....

Let’s just pick one and go with it, okay?

N-Smooth

Also, of course there will be concerns with volunteer judges but you hit the nail right on the head- likely any rule they may have interpreted incorrectly will be the same for all teams. It’s standard for comps and doesn’t make me appreciate the volunteers any less.
JK class- Big actually wanted to have one but nobody showed up. It’s a shame since it has historically been a podium class.
The race- I was concerned going into it as Kevin’s co-dog with no parade lap and obviously my concerns were warranted as the course was different than described to us and we were rear-ended by a big ol’ heap of redneck race car. That was a fun experience lol.
Last but not least, Big said he would entertain the idea of an exhibition style stock/I don’t want to scratch my rig class but nobody had any follow-thru on it. I believe his standard is to have at least 4+ rigs per class so get some people together and make it happen for next year. I’m not sure how you run such a class and maintain the exhibition “attitude” but I also have no problem with the idea.

Coco

Yep, I agree with what has been said. If you have super easy classes, people will complain about it. If you have too hard of classes people complain about that. If this event is what everyone says it is, it is all for fun. Mow over that cone that is forcing you to scratch your rig, or lean you off-camber more than you would like and move on. If you don't want to run the course at all, don't run it. You can't have a perfect class for everyone. This is why it is a competition. See who is the best in that class. This isn't a participation event, where everyone gets a trophy; you still need to work with your team (car, driver, spotter) against the terrain. When I first walked the courses, I thought they looked really easy (comparing them to Craig's courses). Not until you got on course did you know that they were actually pretty challenging. 10 minutes went very fast on several courses. I was surprised the Matterhorn, or the Tube were not on any courses, but I can definitely understand the reasons they were not. Joel did a great job with the courses, and where Rich and Shelley make you follow course flow, that made it even more challenging. Craig would allow you to use the terrain, as long as it was within the boundaries, you could go anywhere you want to get through your next gate. That is the added challenge if you ask me. I personally have thought that Delta historically has been one of the most competitive events of the year with the biggest payouts (depending on the class you are in). Competition will always bring this, it's in the name after all.

I too would have loved to see more racing, but I am sure next year will grow. I would like to get a SXS (rental or my own X-D) and go out and race with everyone in the SXS class. :D A parade lap, and more laps I would definitely like to see come back, and I am not faulting anyone for this, Rich and Shelley took over this event, not knowing much about it, and for that, I applaud them. It could have easily been lack of time for everything, so they had to cut laps on the races. They throw on great events, and I can see it only getting better from here. Maybe the event will grow into another day with all the added events that they would like to add, and grow. That would be pretty cool!

Last edited:

maveric

Crawler Collecter
Last but not least, Big said he would entertain the idea of an exhibition style stock/I don’t want to scratch my rig class but nobody had any follow-thru on it. I believe his standard is to have at least 4+ rigs per class so get some people together and make it happen for next year. I’m not sure how you run such a class and maintain the exhibition “attitude” but I also have no problem with the idea.

I am under the impression that the exhibition wasn't a class, but an individual. We were originally planning on running exhibition in the stock class, but after looking at the courses and discussing it with my driver, we decided that we would just run stock. Might as well pay to play.
All exhibition allows is for you to run in the class at half the fee, but with no chance of winning anything. I was planning on running exhibition since he only had about 4 hours of seat time in that truck. Even though his truck didn't quite meet the rules 100%, Rich was kind enough to allow him to run stock. Hopefully we will have some more time in the truck by next year (after his broken arm heals anyway).

N-Smooth

I am under the impression that the exhibition wasn't a class, but an individual. We were originally planning on running exhibition in the stock class, but after looking at the courses and discussing it with my driver, we decided that we would just run stock. Might as well pay to play.
All exhibition allows is for you to run in the class at half the fee, but with no chance of winning anything. I was planning on running exhibition since he only had about 4 hours of seat time in that truck. Even though his truck didn't quite meet the rules 100%, Rich was kind enough to allow him to run stock. Hopefully we will have some more time in the truck by next year (after his broken arm heals anyway).

There were others that discussed such a class months prior to the event but nobody ever did anything about it. Big actually asked me and Ryan how the flatbed rule worked and if we thought you guys should run stock and we said definitely ;)