General Tech 2018 Wheeling Goals

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ok a year has gone by and it wasn't what I had hoped, but you know wheeling, when its good it is really good, when its not, it is still pretty good! ;)

Winter 4x4 Jamboree was fun to see friends but the weather didn't cooperate. I should have taken a canoe vs. my scrambler...
Only had the chance to run down the Vendor Show for Safari,
Bronco Safari was fun but worked via phone most of the time and it conflicted with the 21 road/Billings runs...
Other than a shake down run with a friend to the snakes, I think my toys stayed in the shop...

We will definitely need to fix that this year...

2018 Goals

W4X4J- Trails- Thursday Tail gunning Triple 7, Friday TBD, Saturday Tail gunning 8am Plan B
Spring Break, Moab/Sand Hollow? (just because my wife thinks the kids need to go to class)
Bronco Safari- First of May
Western Colorado when Greg says its not too muddy. :)
Thinking Hole in the Rock for Memorial?
Rubicon August before the kids go back to school?

Lets discuss. :)

Ok, just sitting here at work and wishing I was wheeling, so I decided list out some "goals" for 2017.

With these goals, I would love it if you have some input (do or don'ts), interest in coming along, or could help with making it happen (i.e. if these are your home trails and wouldn't mind showing some folks around), to chime in.

My core group consist of two rigs (CJ's- tons and 40's with ok drivers), me, my wife, and 4 kids (7, 5, 4, 2) but depending on where and when this could grow...

Things with set dates:
Winter 4x4 Jamboree- Jan
Easter Wheeling (Moab or Sand Hallow TBD)
OSRC- May (Memorial Weekend)
Thanksgiving Moab

Open to what dates make sense for seasonality or trail guides. :)

Hole in the Rock
21 Road/Billings Canyon
Farmington NM (I have been here a couple times with the wounded warriors and would love to get back down with some friends/family)
Rubicon

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pile of parts

Not sure about W4x4 or EJS but definitely interested in Western Colorado again.
I am also very interested in Hole in the Rock, if you're inviting? I've never been there.

If I remember correctly, this is how the Western Colorado trip came about last year. So I guess if you make the goals, I'll help you accomplish them.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Not sure about W4x4 or EJS but definitely interested in Western Colorado again.
I am also very interested in Hole in the Rock, if you're inviting? I've never been there.

If I remember correctly, this is how the Western Colorado trip came about last year. So I guess if you make the goals, I'll help you accomplish them.

You are welcome by my campfire anytime! Life is not slowing down anytime soon, so lets set some dates and get these rolling.

pELYgroso

'Merica
My goal is to get a rig this year -in the next 30 days even and get out more this year. We got a sxs (Teryx4) and we've had a blast in it and will definitely keep it but we miss the slower-paced wheeling trips with multiple rigs, stopping to watch at obstacles and the general "community" feel that isn't there with sxs ownership or trips.

I definitely want to make it to as many of the RME outings as I can and hopefully set up my rig to hit the road for an overnighter on a whim.

Bart

We will see you at W4x4Jam.
Thursday Gunner Plan B, Friday Leading Double Sammy 10:00, Saturday Gunner Milts Mile
KOH (Maybe, fingers crossed)
EJS - Opening Saturday Leading Hells Revenge, Sunday Gunner Gold Bar Rim, Tuesday Gunner Moab Rim
Lots of wheeling
Another Rubicon run with Fordyce this time.
Trail Hero

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I would like to see a RME Run up Hanging Tree!

I'd really like to make an attempt at Holy Cross here in CO this Summer.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Go to hear you are back to driving.

As we get a little closer maybe we can join you on Friday and help where needed. :)
We will see you at W4x4Jam.
Thursday Gunner Plan B, Friday Leading Double Sammy 10:00, Saturday Gunner Milts Mile
KOH (Maybe, fingers crossed)
EJS - Opening Saturday Leading Hells Revenge, Sunday Gunner Gold Bar Rim, Tuesday Gunner Moab Rim
Lots of wheeling
Another Rubicon run with Fordyce this time.
Trail Hero

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I would like to see a RME Run up Hanging Tree!

I'd really like to make an attempt at Holy Cross here in CO this Summer.

Hanging tree is a great trail. I ran it a couple of years back with Coco on 4th of July weekend. Yroc was there and it seems like I made it that last waterfalls without a winch for the first time.

Greg

Admin
I would love to plan an RME San Juans Trip this year, too. Basecamp in Ouray and plan several runs over the passes in the area, Black Bear, Imogene, Ophir, Engineer, Alpine Loop, Corkscrew, etc.

Greg

Admin
Ok Sign me up.

It will take three days to drive there, :oops::oops::oops:

I guess I can't complain to you, though. :rofl:

Oh come on, 4 hrs from SLC to Grand Junction, Junction to Leadville is 4 hrs. Easily done in a day's drive. :D

I've made drives up from GJ to SLC and back to GJ in a day. ;)

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Just a follow up on a awesome wheeling year so far.

Jan was the Winter 4x4 Jamboree with a prerun the week before. So two weekend of trail time in a row. The weather was better the first weekend. :D Triple 7 was awesome, rode with @bds on Friday for a scenic exploring, and Saturday was the blizzard of '18 on Plan B!

April, I had the chance to team up with @pkrfctr and @bds to go run Hole in the Rock. Perfect time of year to be down there. A little windy but overall a great trail, awesome friends, and amazing memories.

May was Bronco Safari with a group of guys that I just love to wheel with. Its funny how 2 decades of wheeling with people can lead you to really rely on each other. We did something new this year, it was just me and my boys. My wife had another commitment and for some reason she trusted me with 3 boys under 8! Lucky for me, the "Uncles" helped me keep everyone safe and happy! We went up and back on Kane Creek of Thursday, spent Friday wrenching and chasing parts on my brothers rig, Saturday was Metal Masher with some other old Friends and made some new ones. Funny how everyone can be in Moab at the same time!

Also in May we ran down to see Greg in Grand Junction with @DToy, @pkrfctr, and @Pile of parts . 21 Road is epic!
Like I said on another thread, Colorado, where the little rocks are still huge! No real worries on 21 road, we ended up helping some locals after they had helped us. Great people down there. We also gave Billings Canyon a try but alternator issue on my wife's buggy turned us around. It sounds like there were other friends having issue in front of us so I am not sure we would have made it anyways. The best part is we will have to go back in the fall to try again!

Last weekend, Steve StClair asked me to spot his early model Bronco through the Delta Classic Rock Crawl.
I really missed Craig and his family running things along with some of the other OCRC regulars, but for the most part there were a lot of the regulars that were still there! Big Sarge/Chrissy, Julene from Summit Machine, Team Fred/Tyler, Tacoma, @cruiseroutfit, @notajeep and family, @skippy and family, etc.

Big Rich and his crew did a good job and it has a ton of possibility for next year. It was awesome to get to know more folks from our stock division too! Brian and Jeff, Dan and Johnny, Chris and Garrett from Colorado, Kevin and Steve, Danny and Jennica from Boise, and last but not least Jeremy and Bear! It is awesome how everyone is competitive but classy. No one was really sharing ideas before the course but you can't help but cheer for everyone as the competition goes on! Brian and Jeff had that Black YJ in "hover mode" for most the weekend. Steve and I walked away with 1st in the stock class, but man we had to earn it! Steve had an AWESOME save on the back side of #4 on Saturday to keep us in the hunt!

Not sure what is next, need to find an excuse to get out. With the temps getting warm I am thinking some chill picnicking could be cool, AF Canyon or the like, then hit it again come fall... :D

Favorite pic from Hole in the Rock-
IMG_0093.JPG

Last edited: