General Tech 2018 Wheeling Goals

bds

Just a follow up on a awesome wheeling year so far.

Jan was the Winter 4x4 Jamboree with a prerun the week before. So two weekend of trail time in a row. The weather was better the first weekend. :D Triple 7 was awesome, rode with @bds on Friday for a scenic exploring, and Saturday was the blizzard of '18 on Plan B!

April, I had the chance to team up with @pkrfctr and @bds to go run Hole in the Rock. Perfect time of year to be down there. A little windy but overall a great trail, awesome friends, and amazing memories.

May was Bronco Safari with a group of guys that I just love to wheel with. Its funny how 2 decades of wheeling with people can lead you to really rely on each other. We did something new this year, it was just me and my boys. My wife had another commitment and for some reason she trusted me with 3 boys under 8! Lucky for me, the "Uncles" helped me keep everyone safe and happy! We went up and back on Kane Creek of Thursday, spent Friday wrenching and chasing parts on my brothers rig, Saturday was Metal Masher with some other old Friends and made some new ones. Funny how everyone can be in Moab at the same time!

Also in May we ran down to see Greg in Grand Junction with @DToy, @pkrfctr, and @Pile of parts . 21 Road is epic!
Like I said on another thread, Colorado, where the little rocks are still huge! No real worries on 21 road, we ended up helping some locals after they had helped us. Great people down there. We also gave Billings Canyon a try but alternator issue on my wife's buggy turned us around. It sounds like there were other friends having issue in front of us so I am not sure we would have made it anyways. The best part is we will have to go back in the fall to try again!

Last weekend, Steve StClair asked me to spot his early model Bronco through the Delta Classic Rock Crawl.
I really missed Craig and his family running things along with some of the other OCRC regulars, but for the most part there were a lot of the regulars that were still there! Big Sarge/Chrissy, Julene from Summit Machine, Team Fred/Tyler, Tacoma, @cruiseroutfit, @notajeep and family, @skippy and family, etc.

Big Rich and his crew did a good job and it has a ton of possibility for next year. It was awesome to get to know more folks from our stock division too! Brian and Jeff, Dan and Johnny, Chris and Garrett from Colorado, Kevin and Steve, Danny and Jennica from Boise, and last but not least Jeremy and Bear! It is awesome how everyone is competitive but classy. No one was really sharing ideas before the course but you can't help but cheer for everyone as the competition goes on! Brian and Jeff had that Black YJ in "hover mode" for most the weekend. Steve and I walked away with 1st in the stock class, but man we had to earn it! Steve had an AWESOME save on the back side of #4 on Saturday to keep us in the hunt!

Not sure what is next, need to find an excuse to get out. With the temps getting warm I am thinking some chill picnicking could be cool, AF Canyon or the like, then hit it again come fall... :D

Favorite pic from Hole in the Rock-
View attachment 113963
And the year’s only 1/2 over. Lots more time to play

Pile of parts

Glad we were part of your 2018 Wheeling goals. We had a great time in Grand Junction with you. You have a wonderful family and your wife did great driving her buggy. I'll have to get some tips from you on hole in the rock. That is one we'd like to put on our list.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ummm, I just want to get my rig done. LOL, and go out to the desert.

I want to see what my range is with the new turbo diesel. I need to get some 35" tall tires though.

I get what you mean, any where other people aren’t. :D

Good luck with getting the rig together. I have been putting off upgrades just because I don’t want to be without my rig!

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I think our schedules aren't going to allow much wiggle room. Con, fordyce, barrett lake and bronco canyon would be a killer week-if any of us survived it.

I don’t care how cool you say it is, I am not taking my Jeep swimming!

Not today, not tomorrow. Sam I am... No.

pkrfctr

I don’t care how cool you say it is, I am not taking my Jeep swimming!

Not today, not tomorrow. Sam I am... No.

Don't be a baby. We'll check the flow before we go. We wouldn't want you to melt :) Wont go if water comes in the tub, short of that, we run it! And besides it could use a good washing anyway.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Don't be a baby. We'll check the flow before we go. We wouldn't want you to melt :) Wont go if water comes in the tub, short of that, we run it! And besides it could use a good washing anyway.

No Engine, transmission, or t case underwater. Period...

I don't get the coolness of having to drain and refill everything...:rolleyes:

pkrfctr

Whats your belly height? I'll figure out what flow will keep your belly above water. My guess is about 200. Ive only got water in the tub once of all the times Ive run it.

Bart

We did the Rubi last year on about July 10, the week before Jamboree and it was a perfect time. The low snow fall this year should produce lower than normal stream flows.