2019 EJS picture (and story) thread

DAA

Not all the way off the drop off, else my buddy would have been dead. But it first flendoed, went all the way over back onto it's wheels, but kept going another half roll onto the lid and slid halfway down to the drop off on his lid. Scared the crap out of me watching.

Hindsight, it shouldn't have happened. I actually went down first, without being spotted, just picked a line and went and made it fine. But I told him I wasn't comfortable spotting him down it, thought maybe we should bail on it. He asked me to just spot him to put his tires exactly where mine had gone. Which, I did - but we really should have seen the wheelbase difference was going to cause what it caused - it was obvious as hell after the fact...

- DAA

Coco

Left side can be a beech too sometimes. Especially for a short wheelbase.

100b3150.jpg

IMG_0928w.jpg

IMG_0939w.jpg

IMG_0948w.jpg

- DAA

Yeah the left side can be worse than the drop off in my opinion. My opinion is if you have the armor to drag, always do the drop. The left side when I had my 4runners would kick the left rear way up in the air like on these pics, and if you didn't have a strap on (ha) or you didn't roll out of it at that point, it would give you a very uneasy feeling.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Fix it day and set up the TJ for a trail tomorrow with my family. @cbryson will be in my “Jeep” and I’ll be in the high school TJ. Doing Dome Plateau with the EJS group. My wife is coming down this evening. We’ll see how an easy trail goes with her? Gunnar, our golden retriever is along for the trip also. Should be an interesting weekend. He’s not a good traveler but we thought a quick trip would be good to see if age has mellowed him for a car trip33AA901B-0B5C-40ED-BE4C-AEE1BBC89822.jpeg

My winch failed yesterday and it was the controller. I just bypassed the control box and wired the remote into the cab. 3CB34EC0-13D7-4010-AD27-76FE42F4CCC5.jpeg

Here’s Lynds test driving the Falcon shocks. Could be interesting on my trail Jeep7895A3B1-C3B1-4E3D-A782-CFCE67F51CE9.jpegEEFBB46A-3898-4CDD-9C12-DEF0C3739F8E.jpeg

Lynds is getting the hard sell from Jeremy and Dan about the Falcon shocks

301E1A2E-C343-4089-83D0-0B41440D38D8.jpeg

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Left side can be a beech too sometimes. Especially for a short wheelbase.

Yeah the left side can be worse than the drop off in my opinion.

That is exactly why we do the drop Colton. Eff that left side.

When I tailgunned Steel Bender on Tuesday, my leader (Gil Meacham) suggested everybody who wasn't a 4dr take the left 'bypass' rather than The Fall. He and I looked at it, and quickly decided where the passenger tires should go... and then he had me spot him down it in his LJ. He never lifted a tire. Next thing I knew, I was spotting everybody down it... except the half dozen JKUs and the one TJ who wanted to take The Fall--I had Marc spot them down that side. Everybody I guided down the bypass made it without incident.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Ok I will bite. Rick Pewe?

Yep! The Flatty Run was called the Snowball Run this year, the plan was to drive out of Moab up Sand Flats Road, hit parts of Fins n' Things, run Porcupine Rim and work our way into the La Sals and snow, then come down Castle Valley. There were a lot of well known folks on the run, Brennan Metcalf, Traci Clark, Rick Pewe, Fred Williams, Pat Gremillion, Kevin Hawkins, Rand Ridges, etc. There were a lot of minor issues along the way, several rigs fighting vapor locking, mine included. The trip took longer than expected, so we had to cut it short. Most of the group turned back, us included. Several others continued into the snow, played around and got back to town around 7 pm.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
A quick and easy fix for vapor lock is to install an electric fuel pump close to the fuel tank before the mechanical fuel pump. Just run on the mechanical fuel pump until you experience vapor lock, then switch on the electric fuel pump to increase pressure in the line to overcome the vapor lock. I've used this method successfully for many years on my 1949 Power Wagon.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
A quick and easy fix for vapor lock is to install an electric fuel pump close to the fuel tank before the mechanical fuel pump. Just run on the mechanical fuel pump until you experience vapor lock, then switch on the electric fuel pump to increase pressure in the line to overcome the vapor lock. I've used this method successfully for many years on my 1949 Power Wagon.

That's exactly what I was thinking! I could reroute the fuel lines away from the manifold and heat wrap the exhaust, too.

smfulle

I pretty much ignored the internet last week except for Instagram and Facebook. Some of you may have seen some of these pics on those outlets.

On Moab Rim I was leading our little group down and took a little bit more exciting line than usual on The Devil's Crack. A quick shove by my trail mates and I was back on all 4 tires and down. Note to self: always make sure both front tires come off at the same time.

First Saturday we took our small group of flatties up Rusty Nail, across the Golden Crack and out Golden Spike/Poison Spider. If you have a spair 45 minutes you can get some popcorn and watch the whole video of our trip here.

Here are some stills I pulled from the video of me crossing the Golden Crack. A little tricky on 29 inch tires.

Attachments

• 1555944693516.png
    1555944693516.png
    1,016 KB · Views: 0

smfulle

The two little clips in this video are included in the marathon video I posted above and the Golden Crack stills are screen grabs from it, but I just obtained the video and thought I would post a shorter version of just me.
So here's Grampa's Jeep on Rusty Nail's No Left Turn and Golden Spike's Golden Crack.