2019 motorcycle desert racing

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
When I finished (or lack of finish) the last race of the 2018 season, I swore I was done. The cost and effort it takes to race just isn’t worth it.

But here were are gearing up for the 2019 season, and I am getting my bike prepped and getting the races set in my schedule :rolleyes:

One thing that is hard for me is that I am often by myself, no family goes with me. On the nights I camp, it can get pretty boring. Pitting for myself can also suck if it’s been a hard race for the first have.
I was hoping to keep track of those who will be at the races in an effort to hang out or pit together.

For mesquite, i think I will be camping in the bed of my truck all by myself.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Additionally, I want to tattle-tale on a sand bagger. Is that an acceptable thing to do? Who is the right person to do that to?

Cascadia

Undecided
There’s no official rule for sandbagging. They will take notice if someone is top 3 in their wave over and over and sometimes will move them up. But sometimes it doesn’t really matter to them I don’t think. Most the time you have to hope that person notices and moves themselves up. Maybe you’re just too slow and you need to get faster. ;)

Cascadia

Undecided
And if you’re looking for someone to pit with just text us. There’s usually 5-10 of us out there and more than willing to help. I’m getting acl surgery in a few weeks so I won’t be racing the first half so I’ll be there to pit most races. And James is there every race too and isn’t racing.

rholbrook

Brian, I wish you wouldn't tattle on me. :D Racing is fun but honestly, I just want to ride fun places. I would rather go spend a few days in Idaho riding than spend a day racing. I don't want to get hurt either. I heal too slow. One or two races a year is good for me but a fun ride in amazing areas...thats what it is all about for me. Plus, Harrison tends to have mountain bikes races the same weekends that USRA has their races. We are planning the Rhino Rally as always. I do pretty well at that race every year and I always love the courses they lay out.

D

Deleted member 12904

Wait Yamahas need top end rebuilds too? Well I hope you don’t waste money on a new spark plug and airfilter since those are non service items on the YZ

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
SMFH........you are so luck that did not end up in a catastrophic failure. that $150 top end almost cost you a $1000 rebuild. What kind of shape is your cylinder in. With that kind of piston slap, the Nikasil has to be pretty bad in spots.

Yeah when I pulled the jug off and saw the piston I was really nervous.
I looked it over pretty good and couldn’t find any markings on the cylinder.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Piston slap like that usually only occurs for a couple of reasons. Worn wrist pin/bearing or to big of a cylinder wall/piston tolerance. Before you rebuild it, I would try and determine the cause. If it is a cinder wear issue an new top end will not cure it.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Plans for mesquite?
I’m trying to decide between sleeping on my truck at the pits, or spending the night with family in St George.
You guys camping? Hotel?

Cascadia

Undecided
I don’t know if any of us have ever camped at the mesquite race. We always stay at our place in Washington. But we may stay a night in the hotel this year. Not sure yet. I think most others go the hotel route normally.