Trip Report 2020 Jared Memorial report

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Had a great time over the weekend with my super tired 💤 Jeep. Eric brought down his high school TJ/daily driver. Learned a lot this weekend. I don’t remember what trail we ran first on Friday but here’s a couple picsF11C93CE-EC77-436D-902C-74BDCEB3C820.jpegD9B6EAB8-D834-473E-9223-8B9EB56C5626.jpeg0D4EC61A-9FE3-4112-ABF8-C58A6F957F0A.jpeg

A0441934-7517-4323-B413-1E72851A924B.jpeg5D413962-41AB-4399-800B-010643DB2573.jpeg50374E51-45AE-4AEF-8F44-393642DD0CCB.jpeg1FD83868-3FF0-4CF1-B7DE-5DA44D010750.jpeg

my rig needs a fair amount of work but can still get it done most of the time. I have a weird pump sound that comes and goes while in park or neutral. I hope it’s an alternator or AC compressor? I’ll get that checked out for sure. Engine is really tired so it’s likely time to get myoriginal engine redone and have that issue over with for a long time.53DFB1B1-9DB3-4680-AB0C-198B2B16C54E.jpeg

I believe this is Double Sami?

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Was the repair successful or did you need a tow?

I should fill in a few details there. I was able to drive out after @kmboren and @ebryson ran to WalMart for some ATF. By the time they got back with 13 quarts of ATF (more than enough), we had completed the following:

• removed trans pan and welded it back together with an on board welder/gasket maker from Jeff Bieber and welding from Steve Maxfield. Steve tacked the pan back together and we test filled it with a couple water bottles.
  • swapped to my spare front driveline
  • fixed my torn off traction bar
  • cleaned up the spilled 5-6 quarts of ATF and put it in a bag
Once they got back with the ATF, I just had to move my rig fwd to finish torqueing down the driveline U-bolts and reinstall my skid. @pkrfctr has even more tools than me carried with him. They were EXTREMELY handy and mucho faster than what I carry.

I had my niece with us riding along with Eric (@ebryson) and she thought it was amazing we got the rig out of the trail. She was also amazed at how prepared/resourceful everyone was to get my rig back together.

All that said, I'm SHOCKED the pan surface/trans case was unaffected by a broken driveline. VERY lucky break/carnage.

I need to figure out a way to get Jeff some gasket maker. I hadn't wheeled Sand Hollow since 2011 so I hope I run into him again. Maybe I just send some gasket maker to @kmboren and have him make sure it gets to him? I know Jeff wouldn't expect it back but I should have at least gave him a $20 for the last bit of available gasket maker on Plan B. :D

I was able to complete the trail and there are quite a few fun obstacles to complete after that ledge.

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
Hang on.. I'm putting my eye balls back into my head, man that was a crazy pic of the drive line in the pan. Anyways. Would a tj with 31's be able to drive these route's?

mbryson

Supporting Member
Hang on.. I'm putting my eye balls back into my head, man that was a crazy pic of the drive line in the pan. Anyways. Would a tj with 31's be able to drive these route's?

Ummm, I'd say no. Eric has 33" tires and a rear locker. In some areas he just fit into little spots that made the trail easier. Others just needed a front locker to get through unscathed. Other areas we just bypassed as there was no way his rig would make it through unscathed.

It was kind of fun having a way simple rig on the trail. I hope others with us felt the same way. There are TONS of trails in Sand Hollow. I'm SURE there are many trails that a 31" TJ would be able to do.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I should fill in a few details there. I was able to drive out after @kmboren and @ebryson ran to WalMart for some ATF. By the time they got back with 13 quarts of ATF (more than enough), we had completed the following:

• removed trans pan and welded it back together with an on board welder/gasket maker from Jeff Bieber and welding from Steve Maxfield. Steve tacked the pan back together and we test filled it with a couple water bottles.
  • swapped to my spare front driveline
  • fixed my torn off traction bar
  • cleaned up the spilled 5-6 quarts of ATF and put it in a bag
Once they got back with the ATF, I just had to move my rig fwd to finish torqueing down the driveline U-bolts and reinstall my skid. @pkrfctr has even more tools than me carried with him. They were EXTREMELY handy and mucho faster than what I carry.

I had my niece with us riding along with Eric (@ebryson) and she thought it was amazing we got the rig out of the trail. She was also amazed at how prepared/resourceful everyone was to get my rig back together.

All that said, I'm SHOCKED the pan surface/trans case was unaffected by a broken driveline. VERY lucky break/carnage.

I need to figure out a way to get Jeff some gasket maker. I hadn't wheeled Sand Hollow since 2011 so I hope I run into him again. Maybe I just send some gasket maker to @kmboren and have him make sure it gets to him? I know Jeff wouldn't expect it back but I should have at least gave him a $20 for the last bit of available gasket maker on Plan B. :D

I was able to complete the trail and there are quite a few fun obstacles to complete after that ledge.

Sounds like you guys had the right mix on the trail... You won't find a better guy than Jeff B. Very solid.

@pkrfctr and @kmboren are alright too... :D

mbryson

Supporting Member
Glad you were able to fix it and get it off the trail. Steve Maxfield is an amazing fabricator/mechanic and is always first to help in any situation.

I tried to get a pic of the repaired trans pan last night. (I thought someone did but I haven't seen it) I'll need to drop the skid plate to show his work.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I just wanted to chime in and say thanks to all that came. It is always a special thing for me. I love wheeling and so did Jared and to keep doing so in his memory is my way of remembering that.

Had a great time with Mark and Eric on Friday. We ran Milts mile and double sami. I think I intimidated Eric but he did great and just goes to show you don't need special rigs to have fun and do 7 and 8 rated trails.

Saturday we had a larger group, Steve and His 6 door jk and durango, Jeff in his YJ, Bill in his JK, Black ops JL, Tim in his JK, Mark and Eric in there jeeps and myself. Had a great time as always and you already know about Mark and his adventure. I busted my hydro assist lines on the way out in the dunes but limped it home and are already fixed.

Thanks again for your support in doing this. Hope to continue to do so for years to come. Also the weather was so nice we couldn't really ask for a better weekend with family and friends. A few pictures my family took on my phone.

20201114_092509.jpg20201114_092335.jpg20201113_151140.jpg20201113_094944.jpg20201113_112713.jpg20201113_095131.jpg20201113_095112.jpg20201113_095306.jpg20201113_100311.jpg

ebryson

I just wanted to chime in and say thanks to all that came. It is always a special thing for me. I love wheeling and so did Jared and to keep doing so in his memory is my way of remembering that.

Had a great time with Mark and Eric on Friday. We ran Milts mile and double sami. I think I intimidated Eric but he did great and just goes to show you don't need special rigs to have fun and do 7 and 8 rated trails.

Saturday we had a larger group, Steve and His 6 door jk and durango, Jeff in his YJ, Bill in his JK, Black ops JL, Tim in his JK, Mark and Eric in there jeeps and myself. Had a great time as always and you already know about Mark and his adventure. I busted my hydro assist lines on the way out in the dunes but limped it home and are already fixed.

Thanks again for your support in doing this. Hope to continue to do so for years to come. Also the weather was so nice we couldn't really ask for a better weekend with family and friends. A few pictures my family took on my phone.

View attachment 132704View attachment 132705View attachment 132706View attachment 132707View attachment 132708View attachment 132709View attachment 132710View attachment 132711View attachment 132712

It was a bit more than what I was expecting, but it certainly opened my eyes on what my Jeep is capable of.