2022 Trail & Rig Goals

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
In the past, we've done a similar thread about Trail Goals for the New Year.... figured we'd open it up to vehicle goals, too!

So, what are your Trails, Places & Vehicle Goals for 2022?

The past couple of years have made it hard for me to get out as often as I'd like.... traveling for work really effected the time I had available. I'd like to get out more often, with friends and plan ahead. I've been terrible with planning my time off & getting friends involved in trips & plans.

My Trails & Places....

Vehicle Goals....

• Get the TJ build done, including engine rebuild, wiring, painting, cage build, etc, etc, etc. I was hoping for Spring, but unless someone sneaks into my shop and wrenches on it while I'm working, it probably won't be trail ready until Summer or Fall of this year.
  • I need to build the Gladiator up a little more, it's long & low and the harder trails really work it over. I'd like to set it up for camping out of as well, possibly build a RTT mount over the bed and do some fun traveling with it.

That's it for me.... how about you?

1969honda

Supporting Member
My vehicle goals are as follows:

1- Fabricate front 3- link and mount axles
2- Solidify drive train placement and configuration, LC9/6L80/transfer case? Currently I have a couple 241s and a Ford married NP205 so a doubler is really tempting.

Just getting those two done will require mounting and removing the tub a few times. Both will be put on hold if I can get the U-DOT conditional access permit and 30' x 40' shop building permits approved though.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
A: Go camping more than the 12 nights I did this year. Like to hit Whitmore Canyon area again, baja, and the big horns.

B: Be less broke.

Depending on the outcome of B, maybe find a trail crawler late in the year. If not, maybe con someone into letting me borrow theirs to take the family/wife and hopefully convince them/her that we should get one.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
At least 3-4 Moab trips (one will be EJS), hopefully the Moab car show (very ambitious) and a few other local car shows.

Likely Rubicon trip

Buick-paint and reassemble—drive the hell out of it

Jeep-new TBI 350 rebuild installed. Maintain a few odds/ends

Tonkaman

My priority is to just do more. The last 2 years were pathetic! surgeries, hospitals visits, and unlimited overtime really put a damper on my lifestyle. Honestly I’m trying to remember if I even camped 1 night in the last 2 years….

I want to take my family camping

I want to adventure down nameless roads for no reason at all

I want to join my friends for weekend dirtbike rides

I want to teach my daughter about my love for the backcountry.

Tebbsjeep

I want to really go over/change up my xj to where I trust it for long distances and freeway speeds again. It's been neglected for a while. We've been taking the family car camping the last couple of years, and it's not capable of getting to the places I want to go. My daughter will be two this spring, and I think she'll really dig camping this summer. Like the rest of you, I just want to get out more this year. Whether it's camping, fishing, or just weekend trail rides.

lhracing

2022 will be my first year of retirement. I hope to get out and answer the question " I wonder where that road goes" .

As far as my rig goes, just need to put some miles on my recently purchased TJ so I can build some confidence in it so it will help achieve the above goal.

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
My Jeep is pretty much where I want it for the foreseeable future so no modifications, just routine maintenance and spending money on fuel for it and the coach.

My wife have our annual RV/Jeep gathering and rally reservations made for Ouray, CO, Spearfish, SD and Moab, UT. Plus we want to make another trip down to Monument Valley. That really isn't hardcore but I love the scenery and history that Monument Valley provides. We are actually combining our Monument Valley trip in with a few days in Kanab where we'll do some wheeling.

Lastly, I have wanted to head up into Wyoming and do some exploring. We have plans to stay in Thermopolis, WY for 5 days and explore the areas around there. I heard Emelia Earhart had a cabin that she started having constructed just before her fatal flight so we want to go see if we can find that among other areas to explore around the Thermopolis area.

I promised my son that we would get the rust spot cut out of his back door area on his WJ and repaint his peeling roof on his 2002 Duramax so I want to get those two projects done. Then somewhere in there I would like to pull the bed off of my 2006 Duramax and repaint my chassis as it is starting to look like crap.

Other than that just some side work and make some money between trips.

Mike

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
2022 will be my first year of retirement. I hope to get out and answer the question " I wonder where that road goes" .
As I'm sure you know, where it actually goes is absolutely secondary to finding it and traveling along it.

My goals
Vehicles:
my van, Galahad:
* New shocks and struts here in the next week or so.
* Working on removing my electric water heater and pump and replacing it with a 12v water pump. I already purchased a propane fired water heater and I need to get that organized for ease of carry and use.
* Get out and continue exploring places I've never been. On this year's list is South Dakota as a primary destination but getting there is also part of that adventure. As I've told a friend recently - it could take me 2 months just to get to Arizona!, Then I'm heading north from there as the weather warms up.

my Jeep, BlackSheep:
* Get it set up with appropriate equipment to make some overnight trips on trails that would not be possible for my van.
* Find some fun trails to do over-nighters

Bart

My biggest offroad project this year will be finishing my crawler hauler build, and making it a functional camping while wheeling unit. Have the gooseneck and now have a camper. Camper needs some work but need to build the cradle and jack extension loading system to make it moveable.

Houndoc

My biggest goal is simply getting my wife and I to agree on a vehicle strategy!

The Xterra is about ready for retirement as her daily driver (235K miles and old enough to get a drivers license). As much as I like the new Bronco, I do think it is time she gets to pick her vehicle, after years in the diesel pick-ups and now the Xterra.

Once we get a new vehicle for her, than I need to decide what to do for my off-roading.

Keep the Xterra (does well, 33s and rear locker, but high miles start to worry me)? Look for a different rig (1st gen Tacoma, LJ, some creative import I drool over while traveling, a creative build of something else)?

Knowing me, the inertia of keeping the Xterra is likely to win, but perhaps with an upgrade or two (front locker, on-board air.)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Wheeling: EJS, Elephant Hill in June, and I would really really like to run Hanging Tree since I missed it in 2021.

Vehicles
Shelby: finish fixing the oil leak, rebuild the steering rack, get it off jackstands and back on the road
Miata: finish installing the engine accessories/wiring/etc, get it off jackstands and on the road
Jeep: I might be due for an oil change this year...
Grand Prix: maybe this is the year I'll hook up the parking brakes? Or install an oil cooler?
Suburban: I definitely need to fix the parking brake on this one. Maybe replace the t-case and front shaft, too?

I'm certain I have much more to do. These are just the highlights.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Trip goals: 30 nights camping. Rubicon for sure in 2022. Maze.

Vehicle goals: get my 80 Rubicon ready and reliable. Get my 200 ready for a few long mile, relatively mild Wheeling trips.
Revising my camping goal. I added up the nights I camped in 2021 and I had 31, so I am aiming for 40 nights minimum in 2022. Trail and vehicle goals are unchanged.

Asbjorn

Finish the buggy this spring.

Move back to Colorado.

Trail goals:
Boulder Canyon
Death Row
Rear Steer
Coyote Canyon
Price, UT trails
Id like to do some trails in the Penrose/Buena Vista area
Rangely
Billings/21 Road/Cutoff/Hard Knox
Farmington trails
Sand Hollow
Area BFE (fingers crossed, willing to pay to play)