22RE to 3RZ swap

Kevin B.

Big hippy
The headgasket I put in the Bastard last year didn't last, dunno if I screwed it up or it was defective or what, so I pulled the whole motor. I was in the middle of tearing it down for a complete rebuild and upgrade when I found a 3RZ and most of the conversion bits for a decent price (thanks, 90cherokee!). I had waffled back and forth on rebuild vs swap several times, I was willing to rebuild the 22RE and even kinda looking forward to it, but I had decided that if I found a 3RZ at the right price that I preferred 150hp from a stock 3RZ to 150hp from a warmed-over 22RE. So the Bastard is now officially down while I figure this out. I'll use this thread to try and keep my head on straight while I dive into this, and hopefully some day it might be of use to somebody else.

Troy asked me why I chose the 3RZ over all the other (bigger) motors out there. I had a couple reasons. One, the 3RZ bolts up to my existing drivetrain - I don't have to fab a crossmember for a different transmission/tcase, I don't have to mess with driveshafts, I don't have to pay for aftermarket adapters, etc. Two, the 3RZ is a roughly 50% increase in power over my little 22RE without taking a mileage hit - I drive this truck a lot and I need to stay near or over 20MPG, and power for weight the 3RZ brings more to the table than any other motor I considered. Three, it fits in the engine bay with ample room around it for my thick hands, I don't need to worry about clearancing the hood or core support or putting on a body lift or anything else, I like that. Four, it's Toyota. I admit that I'm a bit of a Toyota fanboy (ok, more than a bit), but I've been lurking Toyota forums for years and even though I've never owned a 3RZ truck, I've still picked up a bit about the motor through osmosis, and it's not that far from the 22RE I'm already familiar with. There's other swaps out there that are just as well documented and just as viable, depending on your priorities - I rejected the 5VZ motor because of drivetrain concerns, I rejected the 7MGE because it's reported to have oiling issues at low RPM, I rejected the smallbock Ford and Chevy motors because I don't know them and to be honest, I'm already a bit outside my comfort zone. A 5.0 Ford would kick ass, maybe I'll do that to my next truck.

Regarding legality, I don't have any hard answers yet. I spoke to a fellow at Salt Lake county, who was very friendly and willing to talk - he told me that as far as the state is concerned, as long as I pass safety they don't care. The County is who cares about emissions, and since the Bastard is pre-OBDII, all I need to make them happy is make sure I still have all the emissions from the old truck and the new motor, and then pass a tailpipe test. I think that means that as long as I retain the charcoal canister and EGR, I should be good to go (and in a couple years, I won't even need that ;)). Once I've ID'd exactly what year this block is (more on that later) I can call them back and we can discuss specifics, but there's no huge roadbock in my way like there would be if I was using an older motor or a diesel or something.

This swap is well documented all over the internet, so I won't be breaking any ground here. This is good, because I'd wouldn't even think about taking on a project like this if I didn't have a road map to follow. Here's some good links I've been reading:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/475469-just-some-84-85-3rz-swap-tech.html
(hmm - can't get to the Marlin Crawler boards from work. I'll add those links later.)

These guys have conversion stuff - harnesses, motor mounts, exhaust bits, etc:
http://www.chilkatdesigns.com
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/
http://www.toyonlyswaps.com/

What I have, right now -
Early 3RZ motor (year unknown, it's set up for a distributor, making it a '95 or '96?)
T100 rear sump oil pan (for axle clearance)
Tacoma bellhousing/clutch/friction plate/etc
Complete engine bay harness, most of the dash harness (some bits are cut, I haven't figured out exactly what yet. They may not matter?)
Computer (it's labeled for a '97, which is the first year of the coil packs? May not work with this setup. Research is required.)
Various other bits - manifold, motor mounts, intake and throttle body, etc)

What I know I'm missing -
Power steering pump
MAF and intake box
Starter
One fuel injector is missing (I need to call Dylan and see if that fell out in his shop)

None of the yards in town that I've called so far have a 3RZ truck that I can come pick over, so I'll have to pick this stuff up piece by piece (www.car-part.com is a good resource). There's two different starters and two different air boxes for the '97 trucks, but I may not even have a '97 here, so that's got to get figured out before I can move forward.

What I need to do -
  1. Get the existing 22RE out of the truck, sell it, clean up the engine bay.
  2. Get the 3RZ on the stand, check the bearings, see if I can hook up a starter and check the compression. If I can verify good bearings and good compression, I won't tear this motor down before I put it in. I might get lucky, we'll see.
  3. Figure out motor mounts. The 22RE and 3RZ motor mounts are pretty much identical. The place they bolt to the frame is different - I might move the frame mounting location, or I might hack together an offset mount like Chilkat sells. One concern is clearance between the intake plenum and the dual diaghram brake booster waiting patiently on my shelf, so I need to hang the motor in the bay and see where everything sits before I make up my mind here.
  4. Replace the clutch and bearings. I don't HAVE to do this, but the friction plate that came with the motor is looking thin, and it'd be a PITA to have to replace it anyway a year from now, so I need to make room in the budget for new parts here, and I need to get them on the truck.
  5. Install the motor to the engine bay.
  6. Figure out intake. The intake and exhaust are flipped from how the 22RE is set up, and I've got a battery where the 3RZ airbox wants to go. I might move the battery to the other side, but I'm more likely to build a custom intake to share the space with the battery. Might even set up a snorkel - I've never come anywhere needing one, but you never know, right? I got quoted $125 for a stock 3RZ airbox (just the box!), so for that price I might as well put on a cone filter or something and call it good. They aren't my favorite, but it'd be a lot less work.
  7. Figure out the exhaust. I read that these motors don't respond as well as the 22RE to just an aftermarket header, and I don't have the bucks to do any other upgrades to go with it, so I'll probably skip that for now. I have the stock manifold - I'll probably just use that and have a muffler shop build a crossover to my existing cat and add the necessary O2 bungs. I need to verify with the County if my stock cat will pass or if I need to use a cat designed for the 3RZ.
  8. Hook up fuel, clutch, steering, etc. I read that the fittings on the fuel line and high pressure PS hose are the same, so some extension or trimming will be necessary, but I shouldn't have to chase down any parts. The clutch line needs moved, and I might get away with using the 22RE clutch slave upside down? I havent looked closely. At worst, I'll need a new clutch slave and shift fork.
  9. Figure out wiring. Everything else is just turning bolts, and I can handle that. Wiring is the part that scares me. The guy I bought the motor from offered to help, and I have a mechanic friend willing to pitch in as well. If all else fails, I can buy an aftermarket conversion harness for around $650, but that's a lot of money I don't have so I'd rather not if I don't have to.
  10. Start the truck.
  11. Go wheeling.

Budget - right now I've spent $950. This number will go up :D. I budgeted $1500 for the whole deal, and I can already see where I'm going to blow right past that and land closer to $2000 if I don't find some deals on parts.

So that's where I'm at. My deadline is mid-April ... there's a Moab trip on the books that I don't want to miss, and there's a boy due in May that'll take a huge slice out of my free time, so I need to get my butt in gear. I'll update this post as I run into stuff I need that I don't have, and as I get stuff done. I'll probably take some pics along the way, but probably not a lot. Feel free to give me advice or tell me I'm doing it wrong or whatever.

I'm looking for another engine hoist, if anybody has one they're willing to sell (or loan indefinitely). The one I'm currently borrowing needs to go home, and everything for sale on KSL is outside the budget.

Last edited:

skeptic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe UT has a rolling emissions cut-off. 1967 and older are good, anything newer will always need emissions testing. Shouldn't be a big deal though, I have a car with a 22R to JDM 3STGE swap and it passed. I don't think they even did a visual, just tail-pipe, and a newer 3SGTE runs much cleaner than an old 22R.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
It'll be a year before I qualify, but I understand that anything older than 30 years can be registered as a collectors vehicle, which obviates the need for yearly emissions testing. It won't matter for swap purposes, I'm sure I'll have to have all the emissions equipment in place to pass the initial inspection. After that I may suddenly discover some non-functional emissions equipment ;). We'll see.

I have a car with a 22R to JDM 3STGE swap and it passed.

That sounds like fun. Celica?

sixstringsteve

I vote for a cone filter over a snorkel. My snorkel is the one mod I wish I hadn't done to my truck (although it does keep a lot of mud out of the air filter).

Do you have to re-route your fuel lines to the other side of the truck?

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
awesome kevin, cant wait to see ya make some progress on this.

after owning a 22r, 22re, 3rz and the 3.4L 5vze i believe its called, the 3rz in my old taco has been my favorite motor BY FAR! they're powerful, torquey little bastards.

good luck with the build

skeptic

It'll be a year before I qualify, but I understand that anything older than 30 years can be registered as a collectors vehicle, which obviates the need for yearly emissions testing. It won't matter for swap purposes, I'm sure I'll have to have all the emissions equipment in place to pass the initial inspection. After that I may suddenly discover some non-functional emissions equipment ;). We'll see.
It's been a while, but I seem to remember checking into that and the limitations were too strict. Only allowed to drive to/from car shows, that kind of thing. But like I said, it's been a while and I might be confusing the registration with insurance.

That sounds like fun. Celica?
Yup. Don't want to clog the thread, but if interested here is the photobucket page: http://s19.photobucket.com/user/skeptic_always/library/RA29

R

rockdog

Kevin, I don't know how Magna is. But I have went to the Orem library and went thru their motor manuals for wiring. If you figure out the year and car it came out of, the motor manual for it will have a full wiring schematic for it. That way you can trace wire colors and tell exactly what each wire is running and if you need it. I just chopped my sons 22re harness this way. It takes awhile, but you know exactly what to cut and what to leave.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I vote for a cone filter over a snorkel. My snorkel is the one mod I wish I hadn't done to my truck (although it does keep a lot of mud out of the air filter).

Do you have to re-route your fuel lines to the other side of the truck?

Why don't you like the snorkel? Is it too loud, or just the aesthetic that disagrees with you?

The fuel line and a couple other things will have to cross over, yeah. One guy said he was able to pull it across the trans behind the bellhousing without extending it, but I don't think mine is that long.

awesome kevin, cant wait to see ya make some progress on this.

after owning a 22r, 22re, 3rz and the 3.4L 5vze i believe its called, the 3rz in my old taco has been my favorite motor BY FAR! they're powerful, torquey little bastards.

good luck with the build

Thanks, I'm excited to get going.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember checking into that and the limitations were too strict. Only allowed to drive to/from car shows, that kind of thing. But like I said, it's been a while and I might be confusing the registration with insurance.

I think the wording was "club functions". I'm in a club. Wheeling is a function :D. I'd have to be daily driving something else in order to satisfy the letter of the law, I think. I'll look closer at it when it's time - if I can do it without abusing the spirit of the law too badly, I will, if not, I won't.

Very nice Celica, that's pretty. I bet that's a hoot to drive.

Kevin, I don't know how Magna is. But I have went to the Orem library and went thru their motor manuals for wiring. If you figure out the year and car it came out of, the motor manual for it will have a full wiring schematic for it. That way you can trace wire colors and tell exactly what each wire is running and if you need it. I just chopped my sons 22re harness this way. It takes awhile, but you know exactly what to cut and what to leave.

That's a cool tip. I was planning on buying the manual on ebay or some such, but I'll see if the SLC library has one. Now that you've mentioned it, I bet they do. I just wonder if I can sneak it over to the photocopier...

R

rockdog

At the Orem library they won't let you check them out. (To much money to replace) they encourage you to copy the pages you need.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Very cool, I'd love to stop by and check out your progress or lens a hand from time to time as time permits

sixstringsteve

Why don't you like the snorkel? Is it too loud, or just the aesthetic that disagrees with you?

It's not any louder than stock, zero noise. I just don't use it, don't like the look of it, don't like that my fender has a hole in it, and I don't need it. With how I've tubbed my fenders, it keeps mud from packing in the inlet to the air box, but a simple cone filter would have done what I needed. I don't like the snorkel's look; I prefer more of a sleeper look. Snorkels seem to say "hey, look at me." I can't believe how many snorkel comments I get, mainly from people who know nothing about vehicles.

Tonkaman

It's not any louder than stock, zero noise. I just don't use it, don't like the look of it, don't like that my fender has a hole in it, and I don't need it. With how I've tubbed my fenders, it keeps mud from packing in the inlet to the air box, but a simple cone filter would have done what I needed. I don't like the snorkel's look; I prefer more of a sleeper look. Snorkels seem to say "hey, look at me." I can't believe how many snorkel comments I get, mainly from people who know nothing about vehicles.

With how low these trucks sit haven't you been glad to have it just for water crossings? I'd imagine your adventures have taken you to a few places that were deeper than expected

Kevin B.

Big hippy
At the Orem library they won't let you check them out. (To much money to replace) they encourage you to copy the pages you need.

That works great for me. Thanks very much for the heads up, you saved me a little cash!

Very cool, I'd love to stop by and check out your progress or lens a hand from time to time as time permits

Any time. I'd love the help, or even just the company. It's easier to stay moving when somebody is watching - when I'm working alone, I tend to sneak inside once an hour or so and post on internet forums. ;)

Hit me up next time you've got a morning off and get bored. I expect to be out there most mornings until it's done, I want my truck back.

The first time couple times I saw trucks with snorkels, I thought to myself "there's a truck that gets used". Anymore, I see a truck with a snorkel and I think "what a mall crawler". I never was a fan of the look, either. But function over form, and all that - you were expecting a chance you'd need it, you'd have been silly not to add it because the look bothered you.

The answer is obviously for you to go ford the Dirty Devil in May, so you can say you used it. I'll hold the camera for you!

chans

Ditch the stock exhaust manifold and get headers now or buy the newer tube type manifold from 2001 and newer Tacomas at the dealer. The stock cast one is either already cracked or will be soon. Mine cracked in half :( Don't want to build up all your exhaust and have to redo it later.

sixstringsteve

With how low these trucks sit haven't you been glad to have it just for water crossings? I'd imagine your adventures have taken you to a few places that were deeper than expected

I haven't crossed any water that is more than 3' deep (or even 2' for that matter). Maybe someday I will, but Utah is dry and doesn't have a lot of water crossings. It might come in handy for Fordyce, but I don't plan to wheel that trail ever.

I'm not saying they're a useless item, they're not. I just wish I hadn't installed mine mainly for looks and because I don't need it. It's not hurting anything, and as much as I want to convince myself that I'll use it, I've never had a water crossing deep enough to warrant it. Even if I come to a 3' water crossing, I doubt I'll go through it.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Ditch the stock exhaust manifold and get headers now or buy the newer tube type manifold from 2001 and newer Tacomas at the dealer. The stock cast one is either already cracked or will be soon. Mine cracked in half :( Don't want to build up all your exhaust and have to redo it later.

I've heard they tend to do that. Doesn't the miniheader have the same dimensions as the earlier manifold? I was planning on that being the case, but if they're different I'll have to rethink.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Cool, I can probably swing by on Monday mornings if you're out there. I'll send you a text

chans

I've heard they tend to do that. Doesn't the miniheader have the same dimensions as the earlier manifold? I was planning on that being the case, but if they're different I'll have to rethink.
I think they are similar but when I last checked it was 340.00 for everything so most headers are cheaper and may give you more power.