24v ECM failure

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Awhile back the ECM in my 2002 Dodge 2500 diesel died without warning and the truck just shut off. LUCKILY It happened in my driveway and not while driving.. It’s the one that mounts on the engine block not the PCM on the firewall

I don’t know why it failed and that’s what I’m having a hard time with. I tried to have it repaired and was told the microprocessor fried and it is not repairable.

should I investigate further or just accept that it was probably old and they dont last forever? The truck has 300k on it but the ecm had been replaced at sone point in time. Anyone here have experience or heard of this problem on the 24 valve trucks?

I dropped $1k on a new (refurbished as the new ones were discontinued several years ago) one and I’m worried it will die too. I can’t stomach the thought of this truck dying randomly again especially if I’m hauling a load/trailer.

Oh and I did buy a new alternator thinking mine was old anyway and maybe sending too much ac voltage through the system.. Meh who knows. Thoughts and opinions appreciated. Thanks,

Andrew

4x4_Welder

Does yours still have the electric lift pump just below the fuel filter? Those are a very common cause of ECM failure as they are powered and grounded straight through the ECM.
Use the ECM outputs to trigger a relay, and run power and ground from the battery for it with a 30amp fuse.

boogie_4wheel

If the reman unit fails, use that as an excuse to p-pump it (if county allows).

My dad had an 01.5. Over 290k it lost 2 injectors, required 1 injection pump, and a handful of block mounted LPs. Luckily it always made it back to the house under its own power.

Overall a great truck. They all have their weak points.