Toyota 3.0?

Corban_White

I have heard some less than flattering things about the 3.0 found in 4Runners and pickups. I am looking to get a new small truck with an extended cab and looking on KSL I have pretty much narrowed it down to a toyota or nissan (somewhere around 1990). Most of the toyotas have the 3.0 v6. Is it that bad? How about reliability? Most of these trucks have 180K+ miles. I know the power isn't really great or the gas mileage. Mostly wondering about reliability. I don't want to be doing a ton of maintenance on this truck. Thoughts?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I haven't ever owned one but from what I've read they don't offer a lot of power over the 2.4L and they have issues with head gaskets. I've got a co-worker with a 4runner with the 3.0 and he did the head gaskets years ago and it's been reliable for him other than that.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I've never owned the 3.0, but I hang out with a bunch of guys on another forum that do, and this comes up all the time, so I'm almost an expert. :D The big knock on the 3VZE is the head gaskets... they ran the exhaust too close to the engine head right near plug 6. This leads to fairly common gasket failure, but it's hit and miss - I know guys that have 300 on the clock and the original head gasket, others have had multiple failures. Other than that, it's a very reliable engine. It's not very powerful (and it's pathetic when paired with the slushbox a340h automatic), and it's obviously worse on gas than the 4 cyl 22re that was the other option in those trucks.

On the plus side, if you drop a little coin into aftermarket headers that go under the engine, you almost eliminate the head gasket worries, and other than that it's a very reliable engine. It is more powerful than the 22re, and it's supposed to be a very simple swap to the newer 3.4 v6, which is as bulletproof as the 22re and twice as powerful. I drive a 22re, and if I were going to buy another Yota I'd get something with the 3.0 and a manual, and just plan on swapping to a 3.4 if/when the motor blew.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I've never owned the 3.0, but I hang out with a bunch of guys on another forum that do, and this comes up all the time, so I'm almost an expert. :D The big knock on the 3VZE is the head gaskets... they ran the exhaust too close to the engine head right near plug 6. This leads to fairly common gasket failure, but it's hit and miss - I know guys that have 300 on the clock and the original head gasket, others have had multiple failures. Other than that, it's a very reliable engine. It's not very powerful (and it's pathetic when paired with the slushbox a340h automatic), and it's obviously worse on gas than the 4 cyl 22re that was the other option in those trucks.

On the plus side, if you drop a little coin into aftermarket headers that go under the engine, you almost eliminate the head gasket worries, and other than that it's a very reliable engine. It is more powerful than the 22re, and it's supposed to be a very simple swap to the newer 3.4 v6, which is as bulletproof as the 22re and twice as powerful. I drive a 22re, and if I were going to buy another Yota I'd get something with the 3.0 and a manual, and just plan on swapping to a 3.4 if/when the motor blew.

Pretty much hit it on the head here, but I will just reemphasize it is a hit or miss problem. I have had one Toyota with the 3.0 didn't love it didn't hate it, ended up blowing it up (but it was my fault not the motor) If I had my choice in an older truck I would take the 22re. Or if the budget allowed I would go for a slightly new truck with the 2.7 or even better 3.4. The 2.7 is a rockstar, if my memory serves I think they started using it in 95 so if your budget can handle it I would look into a few years newer.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Imo 3.0's are hit or miss and to this day they don't have a great reputation. I've never been a fan so take this with a grain of salt because there are a lot of people that like them. Two of my uncles have put well over 250K miles on theirs with only minor issues and head gaskets (replaced under warrantee in the day) yet when you search 89-95 Toyota 4x4's on KSL there's always a dozen or so with blown head gaskets or burned valves.

That said you can't beat the 3.4 or 2.7 that comes in the 95.5 and newer Tacoma's. Either have more power than the 3.0, they provide better fuel mileage and both have an excellent record when it comes to reliability. Imo it is WELL worth spending the extra cash to get one. Another deal breaker for me is you get the much better coil strut/rack and pinion front suspension and re-sale value on the newer models.

Corban_White

Thanks for the thoughts guys. As for getting something newer/nicer, I currently drive a 2007 double cab with the 4.0 and a 6 speed. I am looking at selling it to get some cash so I can add on to our house. I am really trying to stay below $3500. I was going to get a little beater car but I'm not sure I can handle pulling a trailer behind the wifes car every time I need a truck (especially hauling the bikes).

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Spend the extra and get a Taco. (I still drive and like my '94 4Runner...but I know better)

sixstringsteve

Do you need a truck bed? For some reason the 4runners are 20-30% cheaper than the tacos, even though they have the same motor, tranny, suspension (mostly), and have more luxuries. I'll say hold out for a tacoma. Get one with a 3.4L if you plan on towing. The 2.7L is my all-time favorite motor, but it's not so great at towing. It's crazy how a tacoma will hold its value.

Corban_White

I already have a 4runner. ;) Well, my wife does. No worries about towing with it, it has the 4.7. :D I just have too much use for a truck bed and would rather not always pull the trailer.