• Side-Jobs Forum Rules:
    • No requests related to 4x4, offroad, or any services already provided by vendors who support RME and make this site possible. If you are seeking these types of services, please post in a General 4x4 or another approriate forum.
    • No requests related to morally questionable or illegal activities
    • Any requests here may be removed at any time at the discretion of the moderators

3D Printing Job

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I know there are a few people on here with 3D printers. I am wondering if any of those people would like to take on a small-ish job in exchange for some dolla dolla bills? At least I think it is a small job, however, I know nothing about 3D printing and how long it might take.

I built a custom barn door for an odd sized door shape in our basement. The supplied floor guide from the Amazon kit is not wide enough for the door to fit inside of it. Now, the base board is starting to look pretty crappy since the door can swing out. I need to remedy this before it totally gets trashed.

I would need two of the below, except one needs to be half the length of the supplied drawing. Basically one at 4 inches long and one at 2 inches long (with only one mounting hole vs the two). I would love for the wall side mounting holes to be counter sunk so the door doesn't drag along the screws as it passes. The height should be around 2" and the width depends on how think we need to make it. The door itself is 1 5/8 wide. I am unsure of how thick it needs to be. On the wall side, where the counter sunk holes would be, I have about 3/8" between the door and the wall. So, maybe it needs to be 3/8?

Guide.jpg
The picture makes the drawing look funky but it's basically a "U" with the sides at 90 degrees, there shouldn't be any strange angles.

If interested, please shoot me a PM or a text.

Andy
8ohhhhh1-six33-twentyeight23

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm in the bored looking to print something camp ;) Doing just a reply instead of a PM because it may be of interest to others what it takes to 3D print something.

Most of 3D printing ends up in millimeters, the Slicers you use for converting your .STL file to .gcode expect it to be in millimeters so if it gets created in inches and importing it will be about 2540x smaller than you want.

1 5/8 = about 41mm
do you want any extra play for the door or you want opening to be exactly 41mm?
how thick do you want the walls on sides? 3/8 is about 10mm.
How large do you want the holes? (large hole side and smaller countersunk hole side) How far do you want the countersunk side sunk?
How thick do you want the bottom where it is on the floor?

I'm still a hack designer using tinkercad.com, it lets you use your google login and you can collaborate, sometimes it's like using MS paint for the Mona Lisa but when you're not sticking something in a museum it works well.

basic design of what I'm thinking you want for the small side...
tinkercad_bracket.png

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I don't have time to try and tinkercad it (I'm super amateur, so everything takes me forever) but if it gets designed and you just need it printed, I'm happy to help. Sounds like Spork has you covered though.

It would end up in some cute blue color unless you want to buy a roll in some other preferred color.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Ohhh man. I’m sorry @Spork, @RockChucker reached out to me via text and he is all over it already.

I meant to update the thread. But, when we got home from a family breakfast, my son wanted help making a toy parachute, my daughter wanted help making brownies all while I needed to cook a side for tonight’s BBQ. My wife was escaped to the laundry room for some quiet time haha.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Ohhh man. I’m sorry @Spork, @RockChucker reached out to me via text and he is all over it already.

I meant to update the thread. But, when we got home from a family breakfast, my son wanted help making a toy parachute, my daughter wanted help making brownies all while I needed to cook a side for tonight’s BBQ. My wife was escaped to the laundry room for some quiet time haha.

Thanks again.
Sounds like my life, except I'm also doing the laundry ha ha