Wanted 3x3-ish angle iron, welded wire mesh, rough sawn lumber

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Looking for a few things for a 4'x 6' gabion fire pit I'm building:

* Angle iron in the 3"x 3" range. Bigger is OK, but probably no smaller than 3x3. Thickness isn't super important, but ideally around the 1/8"-1/4" range.​
* Welded-wire mesh. 3"x 3"-ish or larger there as well.​
* Rough sawn lumber - 2x8 or so - (2) 4' and (2) 6' minimum lengths.​

Anybody have leftovers from another project before I go shopping?

Thanks!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would suggest Cal Ranch or Tractor supply for the mesh. The hog panels are pretty cheap in that size.

SSS has a few sizes of angle on sale right now that would interest you. Look on Ksl classifieds for them.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I would suggest Cal Ranch or Tractor supply for the mesh. The hog panels are pretty cheap in that size.

SSS has a few sizes of angle on sale right now that would interest you. Look on Ksl classifieds for them.

I'm hoping for raw steel mesh - is that what you used for your mailbox?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm hoping for raw steel mesh - is that what you used for your mailbox?
Mine is galvanized. I found that it welded OK if I pushed the weld. The flow of the C25 would keep the fumes away from the weld area. I also ran a box fan behind me with the garage doors all open.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
What are you looking for in the lumber? Are you construction talking pine or something else? I have a whole mess of poplar that is rough sawn but I don't know that what it means to me is the same thing it means to you. Lengths up to 10'.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I am hoping to use the lumber as a top for the fire pit. It would be contained inside the angle iron frame. Ideally only one board width-wise so there aren't any seams.

Similar to the top of this (but not as fancy or refined):
566d7cf69d6d708a514269a7b749c9b5.jpg

comingdown

Just went to a lumber mill and ordered them. I ordered them and they sent me 6x6 posts which I used and then they also gave me these beams since they special ordered them. They were not really cheap, like at all. So I may use them for a pergola in the back yard this spring. Add it to the list of the projects piling up around the house.