4.0 starter troubles

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
so recently on my LJ i would turn the key and nothing... I started with battery connections and relays and then the key... everything looks good. I remember seeing people talking about having to smack the starter to get it to work. so I took out the BFH and wacked it a couple times... climbed in and it started right up.
I don't ever remember anyone saying what the cause was or the fix... I am guessing the starter relay is the trouble seeing its not causing any heavy draw on the battery just nothing.

I am wondering if I can take it apart and clean it or if I need a new one.

Any help?

06 LJ 4.0 l6 (which will be up for sale soon!)

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
so recently on my LJ i would turn the key and nothing... I started with battery connections and relays and then the key... everything looks good. I remember seeing people talking about having to smack the starter to get it to work. so I took out the BFH and wacked it a couple times... climbed in and it started right up.
I don't ever remember anyone saying what the cause was or the fix... I am guessing the starter relay is the trouble seeing its not causing any heavy draw on the battery just nothing.

I am wondering if I can take it apart and clean it or if I need a new one.

Any help?

06 LJ 4.0 l6 (which will be up for sale soon!)

My uneducated guess would be the neutral safety switch

gijohn40

doubt that... seeing its a manual and I am pressing the clutch in everytime. I'm thinking the relay on the starter is not making contact and pulling in the contacts for the motor.

gijohn40

BCGPER I owe you an apology... I was out trying to get it to start and i had the ignition switch all the way to the start position and my foot slipped off the clutch and as the pedal was coming back up it started. seem the switch was going a little bit further then it should and losing contact on the other side. so off to look to see if I can adjust it so it does travel as far.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I was just going to reply in your case it’s on the clutch linkage, but it sounds like you’ve found the issue. If it were me I’d just by pass the switch permanently. If other people are driving you Jeep, that’s probably a bad idea though.

BCGPER I owe you an apology... I was out trying to get it to start and i had the ignition switch all the way to the start position and my foot slipped off the clutch and as the pedal was coming back up it started. seem the switch was going a little bit further then it should and losing contact on the other side. so off to look to see if I can adjust it so it does travel as far.

gijohn40

I found that placing a 10amp fuse in slot 28 in the box in the engine compartment does just that... bypasses the clutch safety switch.

but by doing this it turns on the 4wd light in my dash....