Toyota 4 runner power steering problems

350 fj40

1990 4runner steering problem, when i turn either way it seems that the steering bounces back , sort of like it releases and then catches, not sure what to do , where to start. no matter what speed going, I can feel it release and catch its self even if its stopped while turning the steering wheel, no whining of the pump, or leaks,?

rollover

Toyota has a portioning valve on the steering to make it easy to steer at low speeds (parking). At higher speeds its harder to turn so you don't drift from lane to lane. Check that first.

350 fj40

where would it be located and what would you adjust it with , is there a schematic somewhere? thanks for the info.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Have you messed with anything recentely? I had this same sort of phenemon when I re-built my box and did not get a ball bearing dropped in the internal rack of the box properly.

Have you checked your steering shaft/rag joint. I've never seen the splines of the shaft wear or the clamp break but I suppose it could happen.

350 fj40

no havn't messed with anything yet, i just picked it up last week, and that seems to be the only thing that i am bother'd with, got it from the original owner and he didn't do anything with it said he had drove it like that for the past three years, but it does bother me, any suggestions would help. thanks

B

backwoodsgoop

variable assist

That 90 4-runner with the vac switch on the P/s is to bump up eng speed when the eng is loaded by the P/S system is it not a variable assist proportioning valve, that is done with either a electrical solenoid or mechanicly

350 fj40

changed the fluid on the pump , smelled as if it was burnt, siphoned some out.did replace it with dexron transmission fluid. the slop is almost non noticeable. keeping fingers crossed. did not replace all the fluid was unsure how to bleed it out if i did. good for now. just having fun with it