4 Runner Recommendations/Warnings

ID Bronco

It looks like we are in the market for a 4 Runner, I think 2011-16 based on price. This is our family hauling rig, replacing a Suburban since a couple of kids are grownish. It would be used for daily taxi services (my wife and kids) and a weekend adventure kind of deal. I have a pickup for hauling more than a drift boat (the 4 Runner would do that)

What options will I want if I want a small lift and 33's -35's? SR5?

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

lhracing

I like my 4Runner. With a 3" lift you can put a 33" tire on them no problem and a 34 with the correct offset wheel (if can deal with a little tire rub). I like the TRD offroad or the earlier Trail editions because of the rear locker. As for towing they are not a power house...

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
TRD is out, I don't think there is a 3rd row option, that's a must for us. I'd love a locker in the rear though.
If you need the 3rd row, definitely look at the GX470 and GX460. They will have the 3rd row and V8. There are lift options available for both, and super easy to install on a GX460 without the air suspension. You will know if it has the air suspension if it has a height control switch on the center console. All GX470's came with an air suspension.

I loved my GX470 on 33's. It was an awesome truck! Echoing @mbryson 's comment, the GX will generally be better maintained and usually cheaper than a similar mileage and age 4Runner.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I went down the 5th Gen 4Runner rabbit hole before changing my mind and going with a Nissan Armada. My biggest hangup was the price for the mileage. I was using autotemptest.com to search all over the country, and with little deviation it was the same story everywhere; if you want one with less that 100k on the clock you were spending $27k+. They are immensely capable rigs with huge aftermarket support, but to me that just wasn't worth it.
If you want the size of the 4Runner, the GX is a more cost effective route. But if you want to be a little weird and different, the Armada/Patrol has been super impressive both on and off road so far.

ID Bronco

I won't pay what a Suburban costs (for a newer one) and my wife wanted something smaller (we went with a Buick Enclave and it's too tame, a little too small and too blah) so aside from a full size rig with seating for 7 and some clearance true 4X4 I don't know what else to look for other than a 4 Runner/ GX. I hate the cost too. What other options are there?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I won't pay what a Suburban costs (for a newer one) and my wife wanted something smaller (we went with a Buick Enclave and it's too tame, a little too small and too blah) so aside from a full size rig with seating for 7 and some clearance true 4X4 I don't know what else to look for other than a 4 Runner/ GX. I hate the cost too. What other options are there?

I don't think these quite have the seating you need but I've been VERY tempted of late with an 2010-2014 F150-crew on 37-38" tires. Sell all my other junk and buy a fun car again for a 2nd rig. Put the extra person in some Subaru BRAT seats in the pickup bed?

Last edited:

zgfiredude

Old Fart in Training...
If not Suburban, perhaps Tahoe/Yukon?

I agree with all that's been said re: 4Runner vs. GX.......the 4Runner that we recently sold just kept going up in value rather than down.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
2015+ Expedition? EL version if you need more cargo. You get the ecoturd if you need to tow, decent mileage, fold flat 3rd row unlike the @Stephen armada :rofl:

Haven't looked but I imagine prices are cheaper than a 4runner. Also can get a rear locker. Not the most capable off-road, but was surprised some of the places I got it. Also amazing in the snow with decent tires.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I went looking for a GX because of Moab_CJ5 and could not find one in any color combo beside old white lady from Alpine,UT.
I paid $15K for my really clean 4th gen 4runner with the V8 and would do it again. You recoup it on the backend. I though about selling it earlier this year and consolidating vehicles. I put it up for $16K (2 years after I bought it) and had several buyers the first day.
I actually found several nice 100's Land Cruisers for the same price or lower than the 4th gen Runners and GX's. They might be worth looking at.

ID Bronco

I don't think these quite have the seating you need but I've been VERY tempted of late with an 2010-2014 F150-crew on 37-38" tires. Sell all my other junk and buy a fun car again for a 2nd rig. Put the extra person in some Subaru BRAT seats in the pickup bed?

I get it, but I just got out of an f150 after putting a motor and almost everything else into it. haha I have a little ptsd on f150's for a while.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I like the first gen sequoias for value. The GX470s are awesome if the styling and cracked dash boards work for you. 100 series cruisers are selling for mucho dinero lately, and have all the benefits of being cruisers, but cost of ownership (for non-Carls) will be higher than 4runners

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I watched Stephens stock Armada climb a pretty decent little set of ledges last weekend, something me and my open diffs went around. I don't know Nissan real well in terms of reliability or how well it'll hold it's value, but it's definitely a capable rig and looked pretty comfy to drive too.
I didn't realize you went around those!
As I mentioned before, I've been super impressed with the Armada. I've had it out on a trail every weekend but one since I bought it and I always take it on the hardest line that its approach angle will permit so that I can play with the 4-low and traction control, and I've never once had to back down and try another line.
When I resolved to buy one, I was super bummed that the Armada's didn't get the factory e-locker like the Patrol's overseas and told myself, "I'll just throw an ARB in the rear." But honestly, the traction control has been so impressive thus far, I really don't foresee a situation that I'd need a locker in it.
On the question of reliability, Nissan's have always rated high in various surveys/studies/tests. Right up there with Honda, Toyota, Subaru. Resale value... not Toyota-tax level, but not BMW nosedive level either. Pretty middle of the road.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
What about gas consumption Stephen? I've heard they are terrible, like V10 bad. Is that true?
The onboard computer is currently telling me that my overall average is 15.5mpg. On last weekends trip though, I averaged 19mpg on the highway and probably around 14mpg on the trail. So not great, but that's actually better than the Trooper was getting. And for a vehicle that size, I'd says it's pretty decent.

Last edited:

ID Bronco

The onboard computer is currently telling me that my overall average is 15.5mpg. On last weekends trip though, I averaged 19mpg on the highway and probably around 14mpg on the trail. So not great, but that's actually better than the Trooper was getting. And for a vehicle that size, I'd says it's pretty decent.

That's higher than what I have heard. I was hearing about 12-13 town/highway mix. This is our main vehicle so it will see lot's of miles. But we are used to 15-17 of a Suburban. Thanks