• Keep my mini truck axle and build it up

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Sell the mini truck axle and get one out of a FJ62

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
lets see if it works this time

here sould be a pic of the 4runner this is from a trip to stansbury island, this was the end of the trail basically, as you can see it is in need of a lift and a few other things

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

iamsparticus

Coils on the move

Okay well i should be having some coils sent to me soon and when i get them on i'll post some more pics, also Orviscrawler is going to help me set up the new link set-up in the back

justin3979

ah ok, if that is the case, you can get a few inches of lift on those with FJ 80 front springs in the rear, and front tacoma strutts in the front. I can't remeber what year tacomas though. I know a few people that rock 33's with that lift and the truck still rides very well.

do those struts just bolt right in or do you need to do some fab? Ive got a 91 runner as well and i want to get some modest lift for it.

iamsparticus

Struts

from what i've seen it would take a bit of fabing to make a tacoma strut work, because of the top is not like a shock but has the three bolt plate it hooks to, but something that i'm doing is buying some ultra low 3/8 bump stops it frees up a lot of travel and i'm putting on a 4inch drop braket lift, but if you want just a modest lift the ball joint spacers from Fatbobsgargage in ogden are a 100 bucks and give you 2.5 inchs of lift

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Coils

I got the FJ 80 coils on thanksgiving, thanks greg! I'm putting them on today and tomorrow i will try and get some pics up as soon as possible.

iamsparticus

Update

I got the springs in and they work great about 4 inches of lift and i also had a 5inch longer brake hose made as well as new Bilstien shcoks, but those go on tomorrow, this is the only pic i have now, i will post some more later

Attachments

• HPIM1976[1].jpg
    HPIM1976[1].jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 35

iamsparticus

Axle swap

well i have decided to do a Solid axle swap instead of a IFS lift. I went wheeling in eden last weekend and when i got back had it up on a lift and was surveying the damage from the rock carnage and i noticed that there had been a rummble from the front right, well it turned out the bearings were shot and the CV was wigglying really bad, so instead of fixing it i decided a SAS would be better and cheaper, and it was the entire swap will cost me $150 about! i will try and get pics when i do the swap this weekend hopfully

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Actually Jake the $150 i said was not a wish, tomorrow i'm buying a whole axle, leafsprings, shackles, steering links and drivelines for $150! Some guys abandoned project, but i will need to change the gear set, it has 4.37:1 and i have 4.10:1 but don't worry one of my Auto professors is a offroad guy and he has set up lots of gears so he will help me with that. Just goes to show screaming deals are to be had if you look hard enough, or carma has finally came back to me for all the cheap parts i've sold hahaha

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Why not run a 4.30 V6 rear to match your new front gears? Every little bit helps.

Cool build. Fwiw Aussie's and Lockrights are one of the strongest lockers you can put in a Toyota axle IF you have the V6 third member.

I like how your keeping coils in the rear. The stock links are very short and don't articulate well. If you address that you should be good to go.

Wise choice on the solid axle just take your time and do it right. A good set of springs will give you an enormous amount of flex. You will need a new front drive shaft because the CV you have will not droop far enough and will bind up when your axle moves. You will also need a longer slip yoke on that new drive shaft if you plan to run a single t-case as it will pull it apart or worse bottom it out and bust your t-case. With dual cases you may be able to get away with not having a longer slip yoke (6 inches farther back makes for less of an angle), but a you will need a different CV regardless. Earlier factory solid axle trucks have the CV you need unless you choose to not run one and that is always an option. You may want to look into a high pinion front housing as well to help you with the drive shaft angle.

Also make sure you install your high steer arms properly. Over tightening will stretch the already small bolts and really bad things will happen. You may want to consider some studs. Use some red loc tight and a torque wrench to make sure they don't go anywhere.

iamsparticus

So i got the stock drive shaft of the donor truck a 1980, will that work for me or will i still have to get a new drive shaft? Oh and does a rear third member work in a front axle?

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So i got the stock drive shaft of the donor truck a 1980, will that work for me or will i still have to get a new drive shaft? Oh and does a rear third member work in a front axle?

The 1980 CV will work great, but if you get flexy springs you will have to do something about the splines. You can just cut the tube on your 1980 drive shaft to fit one of these http://trail-gear.com/driveshaft.html on and just weld it back together. They are very easy to install if you have a tape measure and a welder.

And yes the rear third member will work in the front axle :)