What should i do?

• Keep my mini truck axle and build it up

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Sell the mini truck axle and get one out of a FJ62

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Hey i have a 1991 4runner and i was wondering if anyone has experinece with building this style of 4runner, the do's and don'ts. I like the coils and plan to keep them but i want to hear your ideas, anything from engine to suspenion would be great thanks

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Oh and i forgot, right now the 4runner has 31inch Xtreme allterrains and a custom 2.5inch exhaust and cold air intake, 4.10 gearing and custom recievier that comes out of the bumper. My intentions for it are to keep it street legal and to play in the rocks and trails so what do you guys say

90 cherokee

my buddys second gen has a sas with 6 inch lift it has leaf springs front and rear it has the 3.4L toyota v-6 swap to and its awesome the motor is out of a 2002 tacoma along with the rear axle that has the stock e-locker... im buildin a 99 runner and im gettin away from the coils in the rear i went with chevy 63 inch half ton rear leafs and its lookin pretty good.

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
is the 91 still with the removable hard top, or does it have a solid body? I never remember when the change happend

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
ah ok, if that is the case, you can get a few inches of lift on those with FJ 80 front springs in the rear, and front tacoma strutts in the front. I can't remeber what year tacomas though. I know a few people that rock 33's with that lift and the truck still rides very well.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Not sure about the Taco struts up front since the suspension on the '91 4runner is a torsion bar setup..

But the FJ80 front coils do work out well in the rear of a 4runner. You could get an OME front lift from Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters, and find some LC coils for your rear lift..

iamsparticus

I have seen the leaf sprung 4runners like mine but i'm shying away from that because i think coils work better than leaf springs, but i do plan on a solid axle swap but coils too. I haven't heard of the fj front coils in the back how much lift? It interests me alot i have thought of coverting the front to coil overs but which tacoma struts would work? what would it take to convert it, It looks pretty simple

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I honestly have no clue why someone would want to get rid coils for leaf springs on their 4runner, but to each his own..

Stick with coils.. No reason for leafs..

I really don't think that there is a Taco front suspension that will work with your year 4runner..

I believe the front stock coils from an FJ80 should give you 4-6"s of lift.

iamsparticus

I really don't know either, i was going to ask later why all the toyotas i see always have leafs, but i think because its so simple to do, what about just using coilovers in place of the stock shock, extend the upper mount about 5 inches? sami do you run coils? i love the coil suspension and if i can ditch the torsion bars for coil overs that would be cool, but i still would need a lift for the front even with coilovers won't I?

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
I have seen the leaf sprung 4runners like mine but i'm shying away from that because i think coils work better than leaf springs, but i do plan on a solid axle swap but coils too. I haven't heard of the fj front coils in the back how much lift? It interests me alot i have thought of coverting the front to coil overs but which tacoma struts would work? what would it take to convert it, It looks pretty simple

coils work well , but not with the factory link setup. The links are too short to get good articulation. A sas is a must in the front, I wouldn't run that front IFS if you really plan on wheeling it. By the time you try to fab up new shock/ coilover mounts and cut out your torsion bars allong with everthing else you still have the terrible front a arms, steering, and still very limited travel because of the front shafts... Trust me its money very well spent and very streetable with a solid axle

Last edited:

bruzer

coils are a great way to go for the rear. I wouldnt waist your time with converting to leaf springs in the rear. Go with the cruiser coils and extend your links. sas the front and enjoy. I 3 link'd the rear of mine and I wouldn't do anything else. Maybe work a sway bar into the rear if you stick with the links and coils.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I wouldn't say that the only way to go up front is a SAS.. IMO, for around the same money that it could cost to SAS you could a really nice Total Chaos setup.. I've drolled over that suspension for years..

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
80 Series Rear coils work on the 89-95' 4Runner rear coil for an ~3-4" lift
80 Series Front coils work on the 96-02' 4Runner rear coil for a ~2-3" lift

Got your PM. I'll check tomorrow and see what I have. I do get them on a regular basis but 4Runner guys have been buying them left and right so I'm not 100% sure I have any 80 rears right now.

iamsparticus

Sounds cool

Hey Bruzer can you post up some pics of your three link. I love the coils and it sounds like most people do, though i see what notatoy is saying about the bad thing is not the coils but the factory link setup, but i have plans to change it. I posted a thread about changing to a three link in the rear and notatoy helped with a kit to but but i got no other replies really except one that said not to do it, but i want to make my own three link for the rear do to the gas tank being in the way of the top right link, but i have no idea about the geometry of it besides making the top link hook close to the middle of the axle but how long and such a little help please?

iamsparticus

as for the front i wish i could get the total chaos lift with their special extended driveshafts but the wife would kill me, i have a 4 inch drop bracket lift a guy has for $200 lined up so thats the route i'm going to take for now, i'm just worried about the rear, oh and what tire size would you guys recomend for this setup? i want to keep the CG low as possible

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Sparticus, you could run Fj80 front lift coils to achieve 4-5"s in the rear.. Get with Kurt to see which Old Man Emu lift coils will work.