5.0 Tbird EFI swap.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
figured sense im doing it and there's not a thread on heir about,ill post my progress up.

first off, I got a mild built 351w that had a carb on her. im sick of dealing with all there B.S. so i desided to go EFI.

so after alot of looking for the MAF setup for over a week and finding nothing but SD's and throttle body setup's,i found what i was lookin for.

1993 ford thunderbird with eveything still there, i had very little tool's and time (was on my lunch) so i took the MAF and the TB,hoping to keep people from spotting it.

came back 2 day's later and someone had been there :mad: they cut the wires for the MAF,O2 sensor, and some other stuff...but the rest of it was still there and the computer.
so i took the harness,upper intake,computer,injectors,EVR,and everything i pretty much could from it, then stopped off at a bronco and got the VSS.

O2 wires

Last edited:

broncomitch

well, i posted up all the parts that i wouldn't need anymore and a guy bought my, intake,carb,dissy,v8 swap brackets,and a few other things.
he was in no hurry to get em shipped to him so i was able to go the snakes that saturday.

then when i got home i took all his parts off the motor and cashed his check then ordered some parts. :D

then i found a 5.8 lower on ksl for 25 bucks so picked that up.

broncomitch

so i cleaned up the 5.8 intake and cleaned and tested each fuel injector and cleaned up the fuel rail.
installed the lower intake,

by that time i was waiting on my parts from BCbroncos,so i started working on my fuel system.
with my budget of $0.00 im going to run just the pump for now and if i have any problems ill make a accumulator,i can make one cheap but as i am broke it's to spendy for me :)

broncomitch

then my BCbronco parts got in, i been worried that the Tbird 5.0 upper would hit my valve cover's even with the adapter..so i test fited it all..and i was right, they hit, but not by much.

so i painted it and bolted it on with the gasket's, it was still hitting the valve covers but not hard enough to worrie about.

so i pulled it back off and put my fuel rail on and went to put the upper back on and it hit's my FPR really bad..

so, i think im going to get a 1'' spacer for it. summit $80 :-\ was going to be the money for the rest of my fuel setup.

broncomitch

and that's where i am now.
Im going through the harness and finding out witch wire is what and what i dont need... :ugh: one of my buddy's from AZ is sending me his wiring diagram's and notes sense he did the same swap.

SnwMnkys

Heres my 350ish hp fuel injected 351w. You should be fine with the single HP pump. I ran a LP pump right after the tank and was running into fuel starvation problems. Decided to eliminate it and havent had a problem since. If youre still looking for a MAF I've got one and some other 351w EFI parts in the for sale section. I had to run the spacer as well to clear my valve covers filler neck. Let me know if you get stuck on anything.

img2974s.jpg

broncomitch

I didnt see anything from ya on there..
im stuck mainly on the wiring..and with it being the Tbird setup and not the mustang,it's a little more difficult,but way more simple and less sensors to have.

but i hope the stuff my buddy is sending me will help me out...guess if all else fails i can send it to Kolibar Kustoms...:-\ but that will set me back 300+shipping.

so you had to run the adapter + a spacer? or just the adapter?

got any more pic's of your bronco? i have never seen it.
and thanks for the offer on the help,i most likely will need it. :bow:

SnwMnkys

Im not sure where that thread went. I know it was there because SillyWilly bought the injectors off me. Here it is on ClassicBroncos.com anyway http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161971

Im running an Edelbrock Performer RPM upper and lower for the 351w, so no adapters. Just the phenolic spacer.

Just find out on the Mustang forums if the pins coming out of the Tbird computer are the same as the Mustang 5.0 computer. Then you can just go off of wiring color.

Here are a couple pics of my Bronco

bronco.jpg

bronco2.jpg

Taco4life

Let me know if you need any more parts, I am just finishing up my swap and have accumulated enough parts for close to three complete swaps. Check on Ebay a buddy of mine found his spacer on there for $25.

broncomitch

SEXY!!!

well, pretty much i want everything. :rofl:
wish i found this add before i got that 5.8 intake off ksl,your's is way cleaner! i scrubed mine for 3 hours and a trip to the car wash.
I do need a Remote mount TFI distributor,and been thinkin of getting the alt too.
but i have no money and may not have any this pay check ether. :-\

found this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-0-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessorieshttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

thanks for the offers guy's, if i need anything ill let ya know.:thumbs:

broncomitch

got a little bit done,ran my feed and return line's,and got my filter to fit on the MAF housing, im going to go to the junk yard today and get some stuff.
ill post pic's when my phone is back on.

broncomitch

wrecked my intake:(

was going to mount the filter between my battery and rad, but realised if my rad boils over,that hot coolent will get all over my filter and could go in my motor. so im going to move the battery to the driver side and make a air intake box to help keep it clean,and may put a small scoop on the front of the hood.

Taco4life

Ok these are the only ones I found at my house last night. I don't know if either will work for you, these are both from a 5.0L.

Attachments

• Intakes.jpg
    Intakes.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 5