5.9 Cummins Chug

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
First off, I'm not a diesel dude and my knowledge is very limited.

I have a 2005 Ram 3500 with a 5.9l Edge chip, banks monster ram manifold and a afe cold air it has 90K and is mainly a tow rig. Lately, while towing (most noticeable) and under hard push the truck will chug once or twice. I can back off and when pushing again will do the same.

I started reading about lift pumps, but that seems to be more for the -2004.5 years. I have a trip to Glamis planned and hate to breakdown along the way. If you have a thought, or know a really good source, please chime in.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If it's a fuel supply issue, and it sounds like it is, it could very well be a lift pump. The good news is they're easy to change and not too much money, but I will say buy a GOOD one, with a great reputation. Don't get a Holley pump.... I had a pretty new one go out on me in SLC with the trailer hooked up.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
That is my fear, be stranded trying to go have fun. I have read a lot about the lift pumps, mine is in the tank. $750.00+- for a FASS one, takes it out of the tank and has a separator and filter.

boogie_4wheel

Is it during an upshift? The 3-4 shift with Tow-haul engaged can cause compressor surge from the fast change in engine speed (torque converter locking immediately after the shift).

I hesitate to blame the lift pump. The fuel filter is a quick and easy change. The CP3 is capable of drawing fuel through a dead LP. I've sucked my lift pressure to 0 and didn't feel or see a loss in power or rail pressure, but still had an active LP.

When exactly does the problem occur, during shift? Just have your foot buried and it starts acting up? Do you have the CTS display so you can monitor rail pressure? Can you monitor boost pressure?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Since I typically tow, it mostly happens when I'm pulling a hill, not while shifting just pulling and adding more throttle. I'm still trying to figure out where to get the fuel pressure from, I think I have found a fitting at Genos garage. I can monitor boost, just not fuel pressure.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That is my fear, be stranded trying to go have fun. I have read a lot about the lift pumps, mine is in the tank. $750.00+- for a FASS one, takes it out of the tank and has a separator and filter.

Sucks that it's in the tank! My '03 Dodge had it mounted on the frame.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I agree that this sounds more like a pump issue but do not overlook developing injector problems. My experience with all my Cummins have been to expect to do injectors at or around 100K miles.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I have gotten lazy when it comes to my Cummins. If anything like this shows up, I track down team fred or his dad Joe. Both stand up guys who have had 5.9s with 300k+ miles and going strong.

Let me know if you need a number.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
I experienced sudden power loss when trying to pass traffic, was totally terrifying. The cause was the air filter collapsing under full throttle acceleration. I installed the best NAPA air filter and the problem went away completely. This was in my 2003 Dodge 3500 with the high output CTD. Your symptoms sound the same.