Report 5 Best North American Overland Vehicles

spencevans

Overlander
I see two glaring omissions on these lists. The Sportsmobile should be on the North American list and the Nissan Patrol is missing from the International list.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I see two glaring omissions on these lists. The Sportsmobile should be on the North American list and the Nissan Patrol is missing from the International list.

It obviously the opinion of Pangaea but I personally don't see the Sportsmobile belonging on the the NA list. They are really a whole different breed in cost, complexity, size, and availability. Sportsmobiles are 'custom' up-fitted vehicles, similar to Earthroamer and several others in that same genre all of which are apples and oranges from a 'over the counter' truck, again this in my opinion.

The Patrol I can see, I spent a good amount of time rallying a t-diesel Patrol around Australia, it was a great rig and in stock form was very capable (snorkel from the factory over there btw). I can't speak of why it didn't make Pangaea's list but am positive they are familiar with the Nissan and have likely spent a considerable amount of seat time in them. It would be interesting to know their thought process for why some were not included but it may simply come down to familiarity, availability, etc. Is the Patrol really an international vehicle? I mean they are all over Australia but zero in North America, where as many on that list are in Canada just not the US. Are Patrols in South America? In my limited travels in Mexico and Central America I don't recall seeing many if any at all. What about the other continents? I really don't know. For the most part the other 5 are pretty much truly international i.e. found on every continent. Sadly all but the 70 Series are available (at least in some legal import version) here in the United States.

spencevans

Overlander
I really would have liked to have seen the Power Wagon on the North America list whether part of the top five or as an honorable mention. I think the Power Wagon would be a great platform for building an expedition rig.

I think this setup is pretty slick.
attachment.php