5 Mile Pass, 2/2/02 : Report and pics

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well, our little trip turned out to be quite an event! The weather couldn't have been any better! We got about half way into the trail and come accross one of my friends, messing with his TJ. I didn't expect to see anyone else out here, but here he was! As we got out to see whats up, we noticed that the rear axle is torn apart. Thats a GOOD SIGN! :eek: Last night he came up to run the trail. Around the time the sun started to go down, the axle popped! They had to go home and come back today to get it all fixed. I was told he got wedged into a hard spot, and broke his left rear shaft. He was totally blocking the trail, but there seemed to be an option to the right of him. It was a pretty Off Camber option, but an option none the less. We watched/helped as best we could, then once we decided he was going to be OK, we tried the new bypass. It wasn't too bad, except that the rocks were pretty easy to slid off of, and get hung up on. We got everyone thru without too much trouble, and continued on to the real obstacle on this trail, The Waterfall. (Ooooo....sounds spooky, huh??!) I tried my best to take the hard line, but ended up putting a few dents in my driveshaft and NOT making it up. The snow on the top ledge created a lack of traction, where it was really needed. So I took the easy way, then it was DToys' turn. He battled it for quite awhile and got the same results, SNOW! :mad: So we got the rest of the crew above this nasty ledge, and headed to the end. There was more snow towards the top, but the rocks weren't too bad. We turned around once we made it out, then headed back down the wash. We got to the TJ just as they were wrapping it up and watched him drive in front of us, to a waiting trailer at the trailhead. That was about it! Not too bad, but just enough to provide a good rush.

Thanks to all who joined us for the day: DToy, WayneXJ, jp008, and bb88. BTW- For those that went, I have been asked to keep this trail on the Low Down. We don't want it getting overrun and 'paved', so please keep its exact location quiet!

Heres pics of the days events-

This is actually the SECOND SHAFT, that he broke in one WEEK!

Attachments

• mark.brokeaxle.jpg
    mark.brokeaxle.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 145

Greg

Admin
I almost had it! Then I was told my driveshaft was taking a BEATING!

Attachments

• mytoy.2ledges.2.jpg
    mytoy.2ledges.2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,329

Greg

Admin
My Toyota gettin' sideways. I'm pretty sure I felt it rock onto the 2 Passenger wheels at this point! :eek:

Attachments

• mytoy.ledge.side.jpg
    mytoy.ledge.side.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 222

jp008

Thank You Greg. I had a great time. I promise I will have gears next time. I am very envious of your trucks guys they are GREAT wheelers. I found out today that gears are the only way to go. here is a pic of Greg parked on a wall. There will be more to come as soon as I resize them.

bb88

New Title
yea thanks Greg!! I had a blast even without gears~I was way impressed w/ the toys, they did awesome.it was good to meet you guys and I can't wait to do it again(with gears):D :D

Caleb

It looks like you guys had a great time...too bad I couldn't make it(no rig:( ) but I am hopefully going to be getting anothe Jeep this week so I will be able to make it on the next trail:D