5 Mile Pass Closed Trail

OrangeSkidPlate

I was working out at sunshine Canyon today and found was seems to be a trail that isn't in use anymore, just curious if this was Charlie's trail. It is just west of sunshine Canyon and east of alma young canyon. It is a pretty nasty looking trail, someone has driven it in the last week but after talking to a few buddies it sounds like it is closed. Are there any efforts currently taking place to open it back up? I work in the BLM Salt Lake field office and wanted to talk to someone about it this week.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Charlies is directly South of the main parking area, there is no way the BLM would reopen that one... they're already hard enough to work with on the established trails out there.

OrangeSkidPlate

Is there another trail that is closed out there? Maybe all along you guys needed someone on the inside haha I'll see if I can find some info about it if no one knows what I am talking about.

Greg

Admin
Is there another trail that is closed out there? Maybe all along you guys needed someone on the inside haha I'll see if I can find some info about it if no one knows what I am talking about.

Just be careful about sharing the location and pics online, there seem to be more and more people heading out there these days that have NO REGARD for staying on the trail. Lots of people driving where ever the hell they want, ruining the legal trails for the rest of us.

OrangeSkidPlate

No worries, I wanted to make sure if it was closed so I'm not opening it up to that sort of thing, like I said, someone has recently been on it in the last week. The good news was there was not any trash on the trail. I'll ask around the office tomorrow or Wednesday and post up what I find. Thanks for the info, Greg.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I know where that's at, and yes, it's driven on now and again. Looks like the BLM moved some stuff and I can't find the PDF map of 5MP, but if I remember right everything north of Sunshine Canyon Rd is "existing routes", not an open travel area. Whether that track in particular is an "existing route" is a question for the BLM.

Last edited:

OrangeSkidPlate

Well I was able to talk to an AFM about 5 mile, his response was basically, if it's not marked as closed, it's free game. He wasn't sure of the trail I was asking about but I guess that was a general statement about trails out there. Not sure if that really answers the question but it seems there wouldn't be any issue with running this trail. I'll see if I can find more specific information but that's what I found.

Greg

Admin
Well I was able to talk to an AFM about 5 mile, his response was basically, if it's not marked as closed, it's free game. He wasn't sure of the trail I was asking about but I guess that was a general statement about trails out there. Not sure if that really answers the question but it seems there wouldn't be any issue with running this trail. I'll see if I can find more specific information but that's what I found.

Wonder if it's worth developing into another Snakes trail?

I thought the current status was that anything not designated open was considered closed?

Coco

I am all for helping in any way I can if we make this happen, same with Charlie's trail. I know people have still ran CT on occasion, but I never have. Wanted to wait for the 'OK'. I need to use the buggy more so I am more convinced on keeping it, then selling and getting a SXS.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Hmmm. SOP for that area used to be "We don't care, you guys police those trails pretty good and they're in washes so impact is negligible", at least, that's what I got from the HBLMAIC back when. I thought that was a good appropriate response. Country response was similar.

Mayhaps I'll revisit this and shake some hands. The new map guy at the county here is awesome, and it's been a while since I've talked to The Man.

anyhoo