5 Mile Pass - Proposed BLM Fee Area

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Copy and Paste directly from BOAR facebook:

"5 Mile Pass fee update:
As many of you know, the BLM is pushing to make 5 Mile Pass a fee-based area. If you read the documentation, you will find that the estimated cost for improvements is $29,320, yet the BLM feels that they need $600K+ from this area alone.
https://eplanning.blm.gov/projects/1502537/200346276/20022603/250028807/EA_7-28-2020.pdf
The petition has garnered a decent number of signatures. https://www.change.org/p/bureau-of-land-management-keep-5-mile-pass-free-to-the-public/dashboard
This has been forwarded to the BLM field office and pushed up the chain to BLM management. HOWEVER...as with anything government-related, it's all about numbers. In addition to the petition, the BLM office has recommended that people fill out the feedback form. They do not make it easy or intuitive to find, so here are instructions to leave your feedback.
Direct link: https://eplanning.blm.gov/eplanning-ui/project/1502537/595/8001599/comment
or
Navigate to:
https://eplanning.blm.gov/eplanning-ui/project/1502537/510
Wait about 3 - 5 seconds for the page to fully load.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Done.

The proposed fee is much too high for the estimated costs for improvement. How about better management of your existing funds?

My family and I reject the offer of the proposed fee. We also reject the offer of "supplementary rules for site-specific conditions of use and rules of conduct, and new recreation developments and improvements" unless evidence can be provided that the enforcement of stated "supplementary rules for site-specific conditions of use and rules of conduct" and the development and maintenance of "new recreation developments and improvements" will be paid via existing funds under ownership of the BLM.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
This is official now. Signed and going into effect. $10/primary vehicle, etc. I'm working on a synopsis of the plan. Expect development, more staging areas, more restrooms, equestrian trailheads, etc. Jury is still out for me. Does the fee and improvements in fact improve the area or does it just mean more people will already to hanging out in on of Utah's most heavily used OHV areas?

I'm tabulating my findings here:
(I'll cross-post once I have it complete)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
That is my thought. You’ve spent a great deal of time out there... ever seen a horseback rider?

@Houndoc, you ride horses no? Ever ridden at 5MP?
I saw equestrians once in the campgrounds by the snakes. We were hanging out there, after doing a cleanup and they trotted over and yelled at us for shooting because it’s not allowed there. We weren’t shooting but they were sure we were lying about it. It was ridiculous.

I can’t imagine wanting to ride horses anywhere near sxs trails though. Yikes.

85CUCVKRAWLER

Yeah the Equestrian thing is a bit weird. I wouldn't want to ride a horse around all of the OHV traffic.

I drive through 5 mile pretty regularly for work and I see horse trailers parked regularly, but they are much further north, like just past sunshine canyon IIRC. I have only really seen them off season and i have never seen them where everyone else goes.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I drive through 5 mile pretty regularly for work and I see horse trailers parked regularly, but they are much further north, like just past sunshine canyon IIRC. I have only really seen them off season and i have never seen them where everyone else goes.

Cool, and that is exactly where they are adding the equestrian staging area so that makes sense.

C0DCE87C-2E59-40D0-ADD2-20AAC84F8ED0.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have seen them north of Sunshine Canyon. Usually closer to Mercur. I'm obviously not a horse person, but considering the fee and the traffic, I would giddyup elsewhere in places less likely to have motors. I would think single track areas would be much more attractive.