5 Mile Pass "Rattle Snake and Charlie's Trail"

ewander

Well, Demon and I drove up Rattle Snake this morning, and just the kicks and giggles decided to drive over to the Trail I went on last week. Demon said that it was called Charlie's Trail. As we were talking about getting it re-opened, or if it is open cleaned up, we started discussing why trails get closed in the first place. Besides the obvious "traveling off established roads/trails, and leaving all kinds of trash on the trail, the wear and tear on the trails themselves is also a problem. Apparently (according to rumor) Charlie's trail was closed originally because somebody took heavy duty tools up the trail to make it harder. I think hard trails are cool, and would like to build a trial or two just as much as the next guy, but I think these things have to be done smartly. Demon is going to contact the BLM and see what we can do to work on this trail. My other concern is one that might offend some. It looks to me like the more built rigs (competition type) are always trying to do tougher and tougher obstacles, so when a trail starts getting too easy, they make it harder by taking bi-passes that end up ripping the trail up. I know that even with my weak YJ w/35's I look for tougher stuff. How do we keep the trails original (not crazy bi-passes/hard spots made) and still keep everybody happy? If we were to have permission to create some hard trails...the Charlies Trail area would be pefect. I know that down in the Farmington area, they routinely "build" trails. Just some ideas/thoughts..

Eric

grinch

inner city redneck
Charlies trail is closed. The U4WD association with rockhoppers and sevral other groops have been trying to get it reopend. There are multiple land clean ups every year planned with the BLM at the 5 mile pass area to try and help move along the prosess. If you want to help get places like this reopend get involved!!! Go to the cleanups!!! Talk to the BLM and under no circumstances drive these trails. It only takes 1 or 2 people driving these trails before they are legally reopend to completly destroy the chances of us getting them legal.

demon jeep

Banned
I have been to the clean ups and I do work with the BLM on one trail out there that is why it is still open Every time the trail is ran we clean up after the other peole that have gone out there befor us. This is one reason why I keeped Rattle snake hush hush for so long.
And getting involed Iam doin gthat I have a club that tries to get involed in matters like this we clean up and we work with the public on donation drives for charities and we do not cause a fight with the gov. agentcys that manage our lands we work with them. We just need to teach people and let people know on some thing that they are doing is not right and stick up for our cause and not tipp toe around somethings. On rattle snake I have closed the new part off becouse it was in a place that would not change after winter or a good rain so I closed it And yes it was part of a old road to a mine. we need to worry about how thing look so we do not get the area close.

ewander

Demon, if Charlie's trail is closed, then maybe you and I need to contact the BLM about posting the trail with a couple of their plastic signs. In it's current state, it will continue to be ran by fourwheelers of all sorts....(not me).

grinch

inner city redneck
If you guys need any help let me know. I will show up. I wasent trying to preach or anything like that. It was just brought to are attention at the last club meeting we had that people had been running the trail. With all the work that people have been doing to get it reopend I would just really hate to see it ruind.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
For the record, I have a "competition type" vehicle, and I DO attend the BLM cleanups at Five Mile Pass even though I don't even drive out there (cuz there's nothing of interest to me there). Don't blame all our problems on people with "competition type" vehicles. There are jackasses out there that are gonna drive in closed areas. I really doubt very many of those jackasses are people that compete. Those people are more aware than just about anyone how dangerously close we are to losing every trail we currently enjoy. Do you think SUWA or the Sierra Club fights amongst themselves like this? Do you think they blame "Competition Hikers" for destroying wilderness? I doubt it, and until we stop that kinda crap we will continue to lose every battle with them.
Sorry, off my box now.

ewander

Dude, who's fighting? There wasn't anything close to a fight until you posted this last email. I'm not blaming competition style rigs or their drivers for anything. Read my email closer. I said that even I (with my weak YJ) look for harder stuff.......

Don't take it personal. I was must thinking out loud, trying to get an opinion accross. It just so happens that when I ran this trail (not knowing that it was closed), I tagged along with a competition guy that thrashed it hard.

I think that SUWA fights much more than we do. I have a friend that is a card carrying member. They have their own problems...kind of like when Darth Vader started killing his commanders when things didn't go his way.

It's all good....;)

grinch

inner city redneck
Yep no aggressin here:) As far as the thinking out loud part goes I agree there has to be more we can do. Maybe we can start doing cleanups sponcerd or itleast started on the board. Maybe if people hear about it on here they will show up. Also the next time Rock Hoppers or U4WDA has a clean up I will make sure I post it on here(that is if sombody dosent beat me to it).

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
nixter,
I've run the trail, so if you want to go up sometime, maybe take a small contingent of PC Packrats, we can do that. It is a fun trail, althtough it sounds like it might have changed a little since I ran it.

If we don't go up there together, perhaps Demon Jeep can give you better driving directions. The only time I went out that direction was when I ran rattlesnake, so I don't really have any other things to reference it to.

jd

Last edited: