520 chain sprocket question

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I built a crazy go cart for my grandkids out of a Honda 200 ATC and a Chinese mini utv. The Honda uses a 520 pitch engine sprocket and chain which I took to a jack shaft to convert it to the chain used on the go cart. I couldn't find a 520 pitch sprocket with a one inch hub so I machined down a sprocket that had a 5/8 x 3/8 pitch to the 1/4 width of the 520 chain. The only problem is that the machined sprocket didn't last long. I haven't had much luck finding a sprocket that fits what I need so I got thinking about changing the motor sprocket to a 530 pitch which would make it easy to find the jack shaft sprocket. I know lots of folks change out their bike 530 sprockets to the 520 for weight savings but I haven't found anybody going the other way. Anyone have any clue to whether I can go to a 530 sprocket on the old Honda ?

Tonkaman

I don't see why not, so long as you could find a way to mount it. That 530 chain is quite a bit heavier so hopefully it doesn’t impact performance too much. Another thing to help with chain wear will be trying to get the drive sprocket larger. You can get it back to the same ratio by reducing gear size at the wheel.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I would have to see how easy it might be to change the axle sprocket. Performance isn't that big of a deal since its being driven by younger kids.
I'm the one that ended up breaking the sprocket when I took it up a very steep rocky trail with two of us in it. It was doing fine until the chain started skipping due to worn out teeth.