5lb propane tank

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've kind of been looking for a 5lb propane tank but it seems like they are the same price as a big one. Am I just not looking in the right place? I think it'd be convenient to have a second tank at my house but I'd also take it camping for a grill/stove.

For those of you that have one whats been your experience, is it worth the cost of entry or should I just buy a full size tank?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have one that I use when space is tight. It lasts longer than I expected it to, but obviously no where near a full size tank. I don’t regret buying it because it serves the purpose I need it too. I am not sure it would be worth having as a back up, but if you want it to take camping and have a smaller footprint then it fits the bill.

I have a 10 or 11 lb tank that I used to use when car camping. It was much more convenient. They general cost much more than a 20 lb tank just because of sales volume. Also a real hassle to get re-certified as a 20 lb you can just swap for a certified one. Probably have it now, but it is way out of certification.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I hadn't even thought about the certification so thats something to consider.

I'd mostly use it on a wok burner I have and use on my deck. As typical I generally run out of propane when I need it the most so having an extra tank would be convenient and keep me from stealing a tank from the neighbor to cook dinner.

@mbryson if you want to see if that tank is still around then give me a holler. If the best price for a new one is $65 I'm not sure that I wouldn't just buy a regular size tank instead.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Having
I hadn't even thought about the certification so thats something to consider.

I'd mostly use it on a wok burner I have and use on my deck. As typical I generally run out of propane when I need it the most so having an extra tank would be convenient and keep me from stealing a tank from the neighbor to cook dinner.

@mbryson if you want to see if that tank is still around then give me a holler. If the best price for a new one is $65 I'm not sure that I wouldn't just buy a regular size tank instead.

Best place ever to get extra propane cylinders is at garage sales. Typically they're partially full so that's a bonus. Pretty much always out of cert. and non-OPD, but you can still swap them (pretty sure the cylinder swap places are required by law to take non OPD tanks to get them out of circulation). Once I get them swapped for a current one, I have them refilled instead of swapping them.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Yeah there is a hardware store a block from my house that seems like 75% of their business is selling propane. My tank expired and the guy told me to do exactly what you said to do and swap it next time I was out which I did.

I'm hoping to pick up that one from Marc tomorrow so I think I should be good on that front.